004.

Be With You

Suzy arrived first at the meeting place. She decided to start the day with ice-cream even though she knew that it would make her stomach churn. But still, her nerves needed to be calmed down so she did so. She untied her hair and let it fall below her shoulders. She was also wearing a slightly-large white T-shirt and a pair of jeans.

As she was enjoying her dessert, Junho entered the shop with a sling bag. He looked quite handsome, in her opinion but she shrugged it off. He was wearing a black shirt with a pair of shorts and his hair was a bit messy. “And I thought you wouldn’t come.”

“I didn’t want you to ruin your own tree house so yeah.”

“Haha, very funny,” he imitated her as he took a seat in front of her. “So, I’ve gathered some pictures of tree houses that looked really nice and they are for your reference. So, here.” He said as he took out a file containing pictures of tree houses from different angles and different designs.

She instantly found herself attracted to the pictures. She examined each printed pictures one by one, and began to piece ideas together. “Wow, this is actually impressive. But, don’t you have your own ideas and vision for your own tree house?”

“I do, actually. But I don’t really know how to draw so…”

She took out a stack of blank papers and her pencil case from her bag. “Just… tell me what you have in your mind. And here, just draw something as well.” She suggested as she shared with him her papers and pencils.

Soon, they were totally absorbed into sketching and drawing the ideal tree house. They shared, discussed, gave opinions and ideas, argued, agreed and finally drew the perfect plan and drawing of the tree house. She decided to keep them as she was naturally in charge of the documentation for the project. They didn’t realize that it was already dark outside.

“So, our meeting was that long?” he asked her as he leaned back into his seat, stretching his limbs as he didn’t move much over quite a long period of time.

She began to tidy up the scattered papers and empty cups of ice-creams nervously. She didn’t like being alone at night. She wasn’t sure how to go home. “I don’t know how to go home.” She said quietly yet he could notice the anxiety in her voice.

“Should I walk you home?”

“Nah, it’s okay. I can take the bus but… I don’t like to ride the bus when it’s night and I’m alone.” She agitated in her seat as she quietly mumbled the last few words.

“Should I accompany you, then?”

“I’m not sure but I don’t –”

“Just ride the bus with me,” he stood up as he looked at his wristwatch. “Let’s go to the bus stop now, before the next bus leave.” He waited for her to stand up and follow him from behind. He noticed how nervous she was acting and this made him feel guilty. He let down his walls and let her believe in him for a moment. “Just don’t worry, alright?”

She nodded as they walked over to the bus stop nearby and luckily, the bus came only a few minutes after they arrived. They climbed onto the bus and took their respective seats. Initially, they didn’t take a seat together, him thinking that she would be uncomfortable. But then, other grown-ups began to board the bus and this made her worried sick.

She turned around to find him. He noticed her and began to walk to her. “Can you sit with – umm – can you sit next to me?” she asked but she looked down instead and played with the hem of her shirt.

“If it’s alright with you.” He told her soon after. She sled to the seat next to the window and let him seat next to her. She let her eyes watch the night scenery outside and he listened to songs in his mp3. Occasionally, he would steal glances at her to make sure that she was alright. It was his first time, seeing a girl being insecure and scared of something in front of him.

Soon, the bus stopped at the bus stop nearest to her flat and the both of them gotten off the ride. He accompanied her to her apartment. Along the way up the building, he noticed the thugs loitering about and the creepy-looking guys and women watching them and he soon figured out why she was afraid. Once they arrived at the door, she finally took a deep breath in relief. She turned around to look at him and bowed slightly. “Thank you so much. I just… don’t know what would happen if I was alone down there.”

“Are they always there?” he asked curiously and she nodded grimly. “Hey. If you need anyone to send you home at night, just tell me. Alright?” Again, she nodded even though she had a confusing time whether to trust him or not.

“Just… don’t tell anyone what happened tonight. Okay?”

“Okay.” With that, he bowed slightly at her before walking away. He made sure that she entered her apartment before leaving, of course.

Suzy leaned against the door of her apartment. She placed her hands at her chest and felt the unsteady beating of her heart. She didn’t like it when boys got to know of what scared her the most or when boys were there when she was afraid of something. She used to be mocked by kids, especially boys, because of that. But, Junho didn’t show any sign that her insecurity was funny to him. In fact, he took care of her even if it was just a tiny bit.

But above all, she was just extremely glad that she made it home safe and sound.

+

Suzy sat down and began to unpack her bag. Usually, she’s the first to arrive in early in the morning. But, she was quite surprised to see that Jiyoung was already there and so was Dongwoon. They were discussing about their project, maybe. They both smiled at her simultaneously as she arrived.

“Well, you guys are early today.” Suzy laughed at them.

Dongwoon chuckled as well. “We need to discuss about something. So, yeah.”

“So, how was yesterday’s date with Junho?” Jiyoung asked curiously as she grinned at her. Dongwoon was quite surprised when he heard that and laughed as well.

“Are you guys an item already?” he asked curiously and Suzy couldn’t believe her ears.

“What? Of course not!” she retaliated. Then, she faced Jiyoung and said, “Well, it was slightly okay, I think. He’s like… the usual.” She sighed quietly and decided to not let anyone know what had happened.

“Well, he’s like that, I suppose.” Dongwoon smiled as he shook his head. With that, they continued to talk about their project (and occasionally, random talks about themselves and Jiyoung blushing every time Dongwoon found her jokes funny. Suzy couldn’t help but to smile to herself.)

Soon after that, Junho entered the class as well with some of the boys. He was talking and laughing with them but he stopped when his eyes met with hers. They held the gaze for a split second before looking away, minding their own businesses.

+

“I think we need to meet up again this weekend,” he suggested when they were both on their ways to their respective classes. “We need to make a head-start for the tree house. It will be a lot of work.” He told her as she nodded. It was their routine, talking to each other while they were on their own. And they only talked about only important stuff. It’s as if nothing happened on their first meeting.

“I have no problem with that. I can try to get a leave on Saturdays, if you want,” she spoke as she played with her sketchpad. “But, we can still do it on evenings on school days. Right?”

“That’s not bad, too.” He said before entering the workshop while she continued walking to the art class of hers.

+

He waited for her at the shop on that very Saturday, after her morning shift. While waiting, he looked around the shop for more ideas and watched her helping out during art lessons with kids, sometimes. He didn’t really like watching people but he found himself always wanting to look at her. And he didn’t even know why and he shrugged off every single unwanted feelings.

“Ready?” her voice broke the train of thoughts in his head and he quickly led her outside the shop and to a dark blue scooter. Suzy blinked her eyes at the scooter as she was definitely surprised. “You can ride that?”

“Perks of growing up in Ilsan, I suppose,” he shrugged as if it was nothing. He handed her the extra helmet that he brought along. “Wear that. And climb on.” He said as he fastened his own helmet and started the engine.

Whether she liked to or not, she quickly wore the helmet tightly and climbed onto the scooter. She didn’t want to hold onto him for support. “What? Aren’t you afraid of falling off?” he asked her. She shook her head and he took it as a no. “Suit yourself.” He said before zooming away from the shop and to his house. He was a fast cycler and occasionally, she had to hold onto his shoulders. He smiled to himself when she did so.

Soon, they arrived at his house and unclimbed the scooter. She looked at his house as she took off her helmet. “You have a large house.”

“Nah, not really,” he said humbly as he parked the scooter in the garage and led her into his house. They went straight into the kitchen and came across Mr and Mrs Lee. “Hi mom and hi dad. So, this is the Suzy that I’ve told you guys before.” With that, she bowed at them as a sign of respect and to not show that she was simply intruding into their house.

“Aren’t you the girl from the Meraki Craft Shop?” Mr Lee raised his eyebrows at her as she nodded at him. She, too, recognized him and found it funny that she met Junho’s father first. Mr Lee gave off a different but good vibe compared to Junho’s irritating vibe. “How funny is it that you’re now in a relationship with my son.”

Suzy and Junho blinked their eyes at Mr Lee and then stared at each other. “Dad! We are not in any kind of relationship other than… just being friends.” Junho said as his glance met his mother’s, who was also laughing happily. Suzy blushed as she looked down at her outfit. Thankfully, she dressed up rather decently for the day.

“You kids can do your work first and I’ll call you when it’s lunch.” Mrs Lee suggested as the both of them made their way to the backyard.

“What exactly did you tell your parents?” she asked him in a quiet but sharp tone as she crossed her arms over her chest.

He rubbed the back of his head as he sighed. “I just told them that Suzy is coming over. That’s that.”

“Mhmm,” she just replied hesitantly before glancing up to see the tree house’s progress. “That’s impressive.”

He nodded as he, too, crossed his arms over his chest. “I’ve made something and I need your help in testing it out,” he told her as he grabbed a long ladder from the garage and leaned it against the floor of the tree house. He began to climb up and stood on the sturdy structure. She was amazed at how real the tree house. It was her first time seeing an actual tree house right before her eyes, so she was beginning to feel really excited. Quickly, he made it over to a structure that seemed to have a wheel for him to turn. “See that swing? Sit on it and I’ll pull you up.”

Without saying much, she walked slowly towards the swing that she didn’t really noticed before and sat on it safely. She looked up at him, waiting for any signs or instructions. Then, he began to steer the wheel and she began to float upwards. Surprised, she held onto the rope of the swing and was definitely awed. It was like her innocent, childhood dream came true. She was the princess, and she was going to her castle on her own magical swing. She drifted upwards and began to imagine herself in a long, flowing white dress.

Then, Junho held out his hand to help her and she took it without a moment of hesitation. Electricity flowed through the touch and she gazed into his crescent-like eyes. His eyes seemed to sparkle due to excitement (his swing was working). Her heart skipped a beat and her heart melted into a puddle.

Maybe Junho could be it, she thought. Maybe he could be the prince charming that she was looking for all these time.