002.

Be With You

 

The school bells chimed harmoniously, signaling the end of the lesson and also signaling that it was lunch time. Everyone began to troop out from the class as soon as the teacher left. Suzy and Jiyoung were busy tidying up their desks when suddenly, Junho walked past them but stopped and turned around to face the girls.

“Hey, can I ask you guys something?” Junho asked. His voice was a bit manly and this made the girls gulped in anxiety.

“Sure… but I have to go somewhere else right now, so you can ask Suzy herself.” Jiyoung quickly said before walking out from the class, making Suzy baffled. She reminded to herself that she would ignore her for the rest of the day as a punishment. She guessed that Jiyoung would probably snicker and make fun at her right now. Nice try, Jiyoung.

“So…”

“Yeah. I’m Suzy, by the way.”

“Oh, hi. I’m Junho.” He simply introduced himself with one of his hand slipped into his pants’ pocket while the other was holding onto his bag. “Do you know where is this ‘hallway D1’?”

She nodded halfheartedly. “Yeah, I do. Do you want me to show where it is?” she said as she finally looked at his face up close.

He smiled as he nodded. “Yeah, that would be better.” He said as he gestured her to lead his way. They walked together side-by-side, even though they weren’t really close, as she showed him around the school. It was kind of a rule that at least one student must be kind enough to help the new student get adjusted to the school. So, being a nice student that she was (not really), she decided to just oblige even though it was making her insane. After all, the whole situation that they were in was so awkward.

They finally stopped when they reached the hallway.

“So, here it is.” she said awkwardly. She fidgeted around with her fingers as she waited for the signal to walk away. In which, he should be saying–

“Thanks, Suzy,” he said as he held his hand out. “Nice meeting you.”

“Oh,” she stared at his hand – pondering whether she should shake his hand – but her hand slipped into his hand without her actually noticing. “Yeah… I think so too. So, see you later.” She quickly bowed at him before walking away quickly.

Junho stared at her as she walked away from him. He chuckled a bit before saying to himself, “Are girls here, in Seoul, are as timid as her?”

+

“So, how was your first date with Junho?” Jiyoung asked giddily while they were on their way home from the ice-cream parlour. They were both enjoying the creamy desserts.

Suzy decided to not reply to that question. Just because.

“Oh, come on Suj. I know that you were freaking out when you walked with him.” Jiyoung pleaded while poking onto her friend’s waist.

“Jiyoung, are you kidding me?”

“Nope.”

“Fine. It was awkward…”

“There you go!”

“… but that’s all.”

“You guys need to interact more.”

Suzy rolled her eyes mischievously before glancing at her wristwatch. She then realized that she was running late for work. Her eyes widened before turning over to Jiyoung. “Jiyoung, I have to go to work now. I’m already late. Bye!” she said as she quickly sprinted over to her workplace.

“Suzy and her dedication towards her work.” Jiyoung said monotonously while watching her best friend’s back, but she smiled. At least she’s dedicated to something good, she concluded.

+

“So, if you want to find the roots of this equation…” the teacher explained in front of the class, much to the students’ dismay. Almost half of the class was already half-asleep and some were thinking of something other than Maths, but there were some that were actually listening. And that good some included Suzy and Jiyoung.

“Actually, I don’t understand this.”

“Neither do I. But that’s okay, Jing. Let’s try out these questions first.” Suzy said as she opened her book and began to solve the question with Jiyoung. Suzy’s like that, she won’t give up that easily unless she had tried really hard.

“So, can I have Suzy to try this question out, right here?” the teacher suddenly called out and this made her totally freaked out. She gulped as Jiyoung made a ‘fighting’ sign for support. She went to the blackboard before trying out the question. She also succeeded in finishing the question, though.

“Ah, Bae Suzy, the working is already right and all but… your final answer is wrong,” the teacher nodded his head as he examined the equation. “Still, good job here and please work harder. You may sit down,” he suggested with a sympathetic smile on his face. “So, is anyone going to help her?”

All of a sudden, Junho stood up and went to the front of the blackboard. With the teacher’s permission, he quickly erased a bit from Suzy’s working and filled in his answer and all. Slowly, he backed off and let the teacher check.

“Good. Your answer is right, Lee Junho. Suzy, I hope that you’ll take note on this.” He said as he turned his head towards her. At the same time, she noticed that he actually smirked at her. Suzy was definitely surprised. Her fist rolled up as she tsked him. That was annoying.

 

Once the class ended, Suzy walked down the hallway bitterly. “I still can’t believe that Junho smirked at me. Ugh.” She let out her worries at Jiyoung.

“Ssuj, were you sure enough that he totally meant that for you?”

“Well, he did that when the teacher mentioned my name!” she sighed out loud. “We need to get some ice-cream to chill. My treat.”

“Nice one, Suzy.” Jiyoung laughed as she shook her head, refusing to believe how silly her best friend was acting.

When the school ended and they were at the dessert shop, they began to choose their favourite flavours while having fun by tasting all the available flavours. Suddenly, someone hovered over them.

“So, celebrating something by buying ice-cream, huh?” Junho asked curiously, making the girls totally stunned. They stared at each other and this made him chuckle. “What? Did I really make you girls shocked?”

“Yeah, well don’t do that again.” Suzy said bitterly before turning to face the ice-cream again.

“What? Are you angry with me?” he asked as he leaned against the glass, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Go away.” She said as she moved further away from him.

“Yeah, she’s mad at you.” Jiyoung snorted and this made Suzy punched her at her arm.

“Look, if it’s because of the incident during Mathematics this morning, then I’m sorry. For that, let me treat you both some ice-cream.”

“And why should I trust you for this?”

“Because I really feel sorry that I made you mad even though I didn’t actually wanted to make you mad.”

“So, you really did want to make me mad!”

“I just wanted to tease you!”

“Guys, we’re in a shop!” Jiyoung tried to hush them down when the rest of the kids at the shop were looking at them anxiously.

Suddenly, the shop’s owner confronted them. “Um, kids, I think you guys should just pick an ice-cream each and let me treat you kids instead.” And with that, they just nodded glumly and walked out with a cup each.

Jiyoung glared at the both of them and sighed out loud. “Lesson learnt. Never start a ridiculous scene in a shop.”

“I’m sorry.” Both Suzy and Junho said simultaneously and this made Jiyoung chuckled. Then, she blushed before pulling Jiyoung away with her, leaving him alone by the shop. He kicked the small rock at the sidewalk, replaying everything that happened today and smiled. Picking on a fight with her was fun, actually.

+

The very next day, Suzy found a sticky note on her table with a quite tolerable handwriting that said, ‘I’m really sorry for yesterday. So, truce?’

She picked it up and smiled to herself before folding it neatly and kept it inside her pencil case and began to read for the day’s lesson.


a/n: Not much happened, but I still wanted to post something so :)