French Vanilla Latte

French Vanilla Latte

 

      ♪ We got the power~ ♪ You sang as you headed out of your apartment door to meet your friend. As you walked to the subway, your conversation with your friend replayed in your mind.

    “You won’t believe me when I tell you-“

    “Tell me what’s wrong, Mi Ah,” you said impatiently, your enthusiastic friend making you frustrated by not telling you immediately what was happening.

    “My cousin is coming to breakfast with us.”

    “What’s the catch?” you knew your friend too well.

    “He’s just your type,” she replied nonchalantly.

    “Oh my gosh. No! Mi Ah, you will not hook me up! Stop right now.”

    “He’s hot. And really down-to-earth. And he’s got gorgeous eyes. Did I mention that his body is really fit?” You sighed in defeat. She mentioned all that you wanted in a guy: a hot body, gorgeous eyes, and attractive looks.

Man, you thought, she is really good at this.

    “Fine. But there’s no guarantee that I’ll like him.”

    “Okay. I’ll see you at our favorite coffee shop at 9:30. Sound good?”

    “Yep. See you then.”

            You had already reached the subway’s entrance once you had finished replaying the conversation in your head. Now, you were worried that he would be rude and that you would be uncomfortable at breakfast. But you knew your friend well enough, and she wouldn’t try to put you together with an unattractive and rude guy. You sighed, your head beginning to ache.

            ♪There’s no more, there’s no more justice. It’s a world that submits under the power of money ♪  Your phone began to sing, and you scrambled to fetch it from your purse.

            “Hello?”

            “You won’t believe this! He’s going to the same subway station as you!”

            “What?” Your friend, Mi Ah, was very excited and spoke very quickly. You couldn’t understand her.

            “My cousin is going to the same subway station as you! He’s wearing a black leather jacket, red shirt, and a mask. He’ll take the mask off once he’s inside the station.”

“Why is he wearing a mask?”

“Oops! Gotta go!” your friend hung up quickly, failing to answer your question.

    “Ugh!” You let out a frustrated groan, bumping into a tall man in your frustration.

    “I’m so sorry!” You bowed quickly. You stood up straight and gasped. The young man you had just run into was wearing all your friend had described, and he was hot. Not just a little attractive, but very, very hot and y. You gasped again, immediately recognizing his dark eyes and hair.

    “Himchan?” you whispered, “You’re Mi Ah’s cousin?”

    “Yeah. Could we get on the subway now? I don’t want anyone to recognize me,” Himchan said, then continued.

    “I’m putting on my mask, okay?”

    “Okay,” you said, preoccupied by his eyes. You couldn’t help but look into them. His eyes seemed to mesmerize you, even more in real life.

    “I’ll call you Chan, okay?”

    “Okay,” his deep voice still resonated in your ears, even though he had a mask on. When you noticed his voice being loud, you realized that he was standing barely two inches away from you.

            Your cheeks flamed at the close proximity of Himchan. He noticed your crimson cheeks and remarked, “There’s no need to be embarrassed. I like you. That’s why I agreed to meet you.”

            “Wait a second!”

            “Let’s go on the subway first!” He said, grabbing your hand and pulling you into the subway car.

            “There. What were you saying?”

            “Wait a second! You got to choose to meet me? I’m confused,” you repeated, your head beginning to pound.

            “Mi Ah showed me what you looked like and what your personality was like, and you’re perfect for me. You like coffee, me, B.A.P, Korean music, traditional percussion, singing, dancing, everything I like. You’re perfect for me. I just want to get to know you more.”

            Your head began to spin and you reached out to grab onto a handle when you felt two strong arms grab hold of you.

     “Are you okay?”

    “Just a little surprised.”

    “It surprises you?” Himchan sounded genuinely surprised.

    “I’m just a normal girl. I like normal stuff. I don’t understand why you would like me.”

    “I like you because you’re unique, _______. To me, you’re beautiful. And that’s all that matters,” Himchan’s eyes looked down into yours.

            The female announcer’s voice came on the speakers overhead, and Himchan held your hand as you both got out of the subway and walked up into the bright morning sunshine. When you met Mi Ah at the restaurant, she laughed and knew that she had made the best decision. You and Himchan both ordered French vanilla lattes and sipped them as you chatted.