Drabble: The Baking Store

The Baking Store

Tao stood in front of the counter as he watched the guy scanning the barcode of the packet flour. He liked how those eyes would connect with his in between scanning the items in his basket. The cashier's dark raven hair was cut short to frame his V-shape face. Wide round eyes would stare at the small screen after every scan.

His eyes drifted down to read his nametag. Kyungsoo. What a nice name.
 
"Thanks. It's the first time someone said that to me."
 
Tao eyes widened in shock. He must have said that aloud without realising it.
 
"You're welcome." He murmured.
 
 
✰✰✰
 
 
"Oh, you're here again! You come in everyday!" Kyungsoo greeted cheerfully as he inspected Tao's basket. "You like to bake?"
 
Tao nodded, while his heart was beating a mile a minute.
 
"What do you usually bake?"
 
He spoke the first thing that came to mind. "Doughnuts."
 
"Baked doughnuts? Hmm, that's something new." He grinned. "You should bake some."
 
"Yeah." Tao scratched the back of his head, shyly. "It might not even taste good."
 
"Anything that comes from the heart is the best." 

Tao nodded vigorously. "You're right. I'll bake some for you."

"Oh, really?" The shorter guy beamed. "That's so nice of you! What's your name by the way?"

"Tao."

"Cute." Kyungsoo giggled. He ripped the receipt and handed it to Tao. "Thank you for shopping with us! Have a good day ahead!"

 

✰✰✰

 

He was so deep in thought that he jumped at the sound of Yifan's gasp. Tao snapped up his head, looking at his shell-shocked brother. Standing right beside him with a similar expression was his boyfriend, Joonmyun.

"What are you doing?!" Yifan had both hands on each side of his hips. "What is the meaning of this?" He was bewildered, hands wildly sweeping around the kitchen.

Tao sat back a little on his heels, trying to see it from his brother's perspective. The counter top was cluttered with utensils, a bit of spilt flour, cracked eggs and batter dripping off the wooden spatula.

"I'm just baking."

"What?!" Yifan looked at him with that are-you-crazy look. "Baking? Seriously?"

"Why not?"

Kris slapped his forehead. "You can't cook, for goodness sake." He sighed aloud.

"I know." Tao grinned

 

✰✰✰

 

Kyungsoo wiped the counter clean with disinfectant before squeezing a dallop of hand sanitiser. As he was busy humming to a random music his head while rubbing the cold liquid in between his palms, the door jiggled.

"Welcome to Bake-It-Yourself!" Kyungsoo greeted with a smile but it grew into a grin when he found out that it was Tao, his regular customer. Standing a tall with piercing dark eyes and sleek build like a fighter, Kyungsoo could easily imagine him as a ninja. But that soft smile that was always present on his lips painted a different kind of picture.

And did he say he was cute whenever a blush crawls up his cheek? 

"Hey, Tao! You're here! Is that for me?" Kyungsoo pointed at the brown paper bag he was holding.

When the other boy nodded, he jogged around the counter and grabbed the bag. A peek inside showed doughnuts. In all shapes and sizes. Big. Small. Round. Square. Triangle. He chuckled inwardly knowing that Tao probably wasn't a cook but still tried for him.

"Thank you!" Kyungsoo tip toed and planted a kiss on the other guy's lips. He giggled when Tao blushed.

 

A/N: Thank your for taking some time off to read! Appreciate it!