Final

Why?

Joonmyun was seated at his car, staring blankly ahead. How could he not know about his girlfriend’s condition? How could he not know about her accident? How could he not know about the constant hospital visits she made whenever she felt dizzy or that her eyes were irritating her? What kind of boyfriend was he for not noticing a thing?

~Flashback~

Chanyeol brought Joonmyun to a nearby coffee shop. As their drinks came and the waitress left them alone, he look at Chaehwan’s brother, “Why is Chaehwan blind? What happened? Why was I not informed of this incident?”

Chanyeol let out a scoff, “And you say you know everything about my dongsaeng.”

“Morago?” Joonmyun started to get defensive.

“Do you remember that time when you went on a family trip to Jeju Island for a month?” Joonmyun nodded his head. “Well, Chaehwan was in a minor car accident while you were gone where she was crossing the street.”

Joonmyun grew alarmed, “She got hit by a car?!”

“Aniyo. The car stopped just in time, but Chaehwan got hurt by getting out of the way and falling on the back of her head.”

Joonmyun stayed quiet as he looked down, “When was she released from the hospital? What did the doctors say?”

Chanyeol sipped his drink and looked back at him, “About 2 days after the accident. But I took her back to the hospital when she said that her eyes were irritating her. That was when the doctor told me about her condition. Since the back of the head has nerves that operate the eyesight, it was then that they determined how serious her condition was.” He sat up straighter, “Joonmyun hyung, Chaehwan ah didn’t want to be a burden to you at all.”

“A burden?” Joonmyun repeated his words. “She could never be a burden to me!” he declared loudly, causing some people to stare at them. “Chanyeol, I could take care of her. Just tell her that I know about her condition and to come back to Seoul with me. I could take care of her and-“

“KIM JOONMYUN!!!” Chanyeol yelled at his hyung, dropping any honorifics. “You think Chaehwan never thought about this? How could you say those things so boldly? You don’t think she has pride? Well, she does. She has a lot of it. You saw it earlier. She wants to accept her fate as a blind person and wants to still be independent. That is why she couldn’t tell you and just decided to leave without a word. She thought that if she left, you would just move onto love another girl.”

“Me? Move on to another girl?” Joonmyun scoffed. “How could I do that?! I would never do that to Chaehwan ah! I love her!”

Chanyeol abruptly stood up, “How do you plan to take care of her then? Don’t you have to work to support the both of you? Who is supposed to watch over Chaehwan when you can’t?” As Joonmyun was about to answer back, Chanyeol continued on. “Don’t you feel selfish at all Kim Joonmyun?”

Joonmyun stood up as well while glaring at him, “Morago?!”

“Selfish: devoted to or caring only for oneself [definition from dictionary.com], meaning that you, Kim Joonmyun, only want Chaehwan for your own selfish needs!” Chanyeol spat.

With all this anger building up inside of him, Joonmyun grabbed hold of the tall male’s collar and punched him in the jaw. Chanyeol fell back, crashing into a nearby table, luckily that was empty. Customers of the coffee shop started to get alarmed by the fracas. The younger male stood up slowly and chuckled once before landing his own punch on his sister’s boyfriend’s face. Joonmyun flew backwards, getting the attention of the café workers as yelling at them to stop and to leave the premises immediately.

As they left, Chanyeol gave out a loud laugh. Joonmyun wanted to knock some sense into Chanyeol, but stopped immediately after seeing the younger one smiling at him, “I knew Chaehwan chose the right guy as a boyfriend. Heck, you could really be her soul mate for all I know.”

Joonmyun was slowly processing the situation in his head and finally understood, “Were you testing me or something?” to which Chanyeol nodded his head.

“Seeing that you tried really hard to find Chaehwan ah and wanting to help her, you really do love her a lot.”

~End of flashback~

Going back home to his apartment, he took a while in the shower. He thought long and hard about what he should do about this whole situation. He thought of many scenarios about telling Chaehwan that he knows, but by doing that, he could cause her to push him away to which he does not want at all. As he was stuck at a dead end again, he felt himself giving up. After changing into his pajama bottoms and a wife beater, he lied down on his bed while staring at the ceiling.

Memories of his last time with Chaehwan flashed through his mind, thinking back to that time and positioning himself back in that timeframe. The last time he held her was after their lovemaking. He remembered when she kept her eyes opened the whole time during that time and her words from that time.

“Nothing is wrong at all oppa. You’re doing great. I just… I just want to remember everything as if I’m not going to see anything ever again.”

Joonmyun closed his eyes as he groaned, “Why didn’t I take her words seriously back then?” Just then, his cell phone rang from his bedside table. He looked at the screen to see it was Chanyeol. He quickly swiped his finger across the screen to answer it, “Yobosaeyo?”

The next day, he was back at Yeongdong in front of the house he last saw Chaehwan at. Chanyeol had told him to come back and to bring a luggage of clothes. Wondering why his friend told me to do that, he entered the gate. His breath got caught in his throat as he caught eye of Chaehwan sitting at the porch by the front door of the house as she folded laundry, probably the same clothes that she hung the day before.

Sensing that someone was near, Chaehwan looked up towards Joonmyun, causing him to freeze as he stared at her. She spoke, “Is someone there?”

Joonmyun had almost forgotten that she was blind. As he was about to speak, Chanyeol quickly appeared at the doorway and put a finger to his lips for Joonmyun to not to utter a word. Chanyeol came out of the house and greeted Joonmyun loudly so Chaehwan could notice. “Hyung! You made it!” He looked at his dongsaeng, “Chaehwan ah. This is my friend from yesterday.” Chanyeol looked at Joonmyun, “His name is Suho. He doesn’t speak that much.”

Chaehwan smiled, “It’s nice to meet you Suho shi.” She held out a hand for him to shake it. Joonmyun looked at Chanyeol, to which he gave an assuring nod of the head for him to proceed. As Joonmyun neared, he grasped his beloved girlfriend’s hand. Chaehwan tilted her head in confusion and let go of his hand, “Have we met before? Your hand feels…familiar.”

Chanyeol spoke for him, “I guess you met him another time and I forgot.” He laughed, “Well, Suho shi is going to be staying with us for a few days. Is that okay with you Hwannie?” Joonmyun’s eyes widened. He was going to be staying there with them? In the same place as Chaehwan?

“Of course it is oppa! You are more than welcomed to stay at our place Suho shi.” She said with a smiled, which melted Joonmyun’s heart.

As Chanyeol lead Joonmyun inside of the house, he made sure to close the bedroom door that Joonmyun was going to be staying in and placed a towel on the floor and securely tucked it in to somehow mute their voices from the outside so Chaehwan couldn’t hear their conversation. “Y-You’re letting me stay here with you and Chaehwan ah?” Joonmyun stuttered.

Chanyeol smiled, “How could I not when you finally found her after more than six months? And it would be such a hassle to drive from Seoul to here just to watch her from afar and not interact with her at all.” Joonmyun looked down at the floor, feeling extremely grateful for Chanyeol giving him the opportunity to stay by Chaehwan’s side without her knowing.

As night fell, Chanyeol helped Chaehwan cook dinner as Joonmyun watched from the living room. Chanyeol said that he was missing a certain ingredient and had to run to the store to get some. “You could watch over my sister while I’m gone, right?”

“Ne.” Joonmyun replied. After Chanyeol left, Chaehwan just continued to cook. Joonmyun came to her aid, just in case she hurt herself. As she quickly pulled her hand away from the hot pot handle, Joonmyun grabbed her hand, “Be careful.” He said lowly, trying his best to disguise his voice.

Chaehwan tried to convince that she could continue to cook, but Joonmyun wouldn’t allow it. He couldn’t see his angel get hurt in front of him. He lowered the heat on the stove and grabbed her wrist, pulling her to the sink where he let cold water run on her fingers. “Mianhaeyo Suho shi. I’m still getting used to being blind.”

She let out a soft gasp as his arm encircled her waist, a familiar feeling, and his lips close to her ear, “I’ll cook.” Then he brought her to the couch and went back into the kitchen to continue dinner.

Chaehwan grew bored and felt for her cell phone on her the coffee table in front of her. She felt for the power button to know if she was holding her phone correctly. She then swiped her finger across the screen and a robotic voice told her today’s date and the current time. She spoke to her phone, “Text messages from Kim Joonmyun.”

“Text messages from Kim Joonmyun.” The robotic voice repeated her words. Joonmyun looked up from the cooking as he heard his name. It looked like the food was done, so he turned off the stove and slowly walked to the living room, stopping at the doorway as he saw Chaehwan seated on the floor in front of the coffee table with her cell phone.

“Read all.” She said.

Then the robotic voice started to read all of the text messages Joonmyun had sent to her. “Hey babe. What are you doing?” “How about dinner tonight jagi?” “Saranghae!” “I’ll always love you no matter what Park Chaehwan.” Joonmyun listen to all of them while keeping his eyes on Chaehwan, watching her reaction. A smile was displayed on her face until it got to the last text messages he sent her when she went missing. “Chaehwan ah, where are you?” “Please answer my calls or text messages Chaehwan ah!” “Are you upset about what happened last night? Please tell me what I did so I could apologize to you.” Chaehwan’s bottom lip quivered as she started to have the sniffles and her eyes beginning to get moist. And all that holding back soon disappeared as the very last text came. “Please Park Chaehwan ah! I’m begging you on my knees. Please tell me where you are. I need to know where you are. I’m going crazy not knowing why you left me without a word. My days have been like hell without you in my life. Please come back Chaehwan ah. SARANGHAE!!!”

At that exact time, Chanyeol had come back home with a bag of groceries. He saw Joonmyun leaning against the door. He slowly walked over and peered over his hyung’s shoulder. Chaehwan was heart wrenchingly crying quietly to herself. Chanyeol looked at Joonmyun’s expression. His eyes were empty as if he pitied himself for not being capable of doing anything to help his loved one. Joonmyun briskly left the house to have some time for himself. Chanyeol gave out a deep sigh as his sister and her boyfriend can’t be together as of now at that moment.

Exactly a week has past as Joonmyun stayed in Yeongdong and he thinks that it’s time to finally go back to Seoul. He can’t stay being near Chaehwan if he couldn’t speak or touch her in any way that it was just making him even crazier. He didn’t even bother to bid farewell to Chaehwan as she had gone to the market with the help of a local ahjumma from the area.

Chanyeol stood in front of the driver’s side window of Joonmyun’s car, “Are you sure you want to leave? Chaehwan ah is here and you being in Seoul is far away even for you.”

Joonmyun gave him a smile, “Truthfully, I really don’t want to go, but being close to Chaehwan ah when she doesn’t know that her own boyfriend is there with her is seriously killing me. I can’t even use my own voice around her.” Chanyeol nodded his head in an understanding manner. “Well, I’ll visit when I can. Keep Chaehwan ah safe for me, please.”

“I promise.” And with that Joonmyun drove off.

After coming back from the store in about 30 minutes, the ahjumma lead Chaehwan to the kitchen to put away the groceries as Chanyeol wanted to speak to the ahjumma. As Chaehwan was about to announce to her brother that she was done, she overheard her boyfriend’s name.

“Joonmyun hyung just left back to Seoul and I was wondering if you could watch over Chaehwan ah for me when I go to work tomorrow. I really need this favor ahjumma.” Chanyeol said.

‘Joonmyun? What does he mean that Joonmyun went back to Seoul? Why was he here? Unless…’

Memories of her talk with Chanyeol came to mind, “Hwannie. Suho is going to be leaving tomorrow.”

‘Was Suho shi actually Joonmyun oppa?!’ she thought. She longed for her beloved boyfriend ever since she had left him and he was actually with her the whole time using a pseudonym. She felt her way to the door to go outside. As she reached the gate, she went on her way to somehow find Joonmyun, leaving the gate door open..

Chanyeol walked into the kitchen, finding it empty. He scratched his head in confusion, “Huh? Where did that girl go?” He searched all the rooms to see that she wasn’t in any of them. Chanyeol quickly went outside to see if she was anywhere. His eyes widened when he saw that the gate was left opened, which was unusual because a person always closes it. “Oh no…”

Joonmyun was halfway back to Seoul when his cell phone rang. He saw that it was Chanyeol and put the earpiece in his ear and touched the ANSWER button, “Yobosaeyo?” His eyes widened as Chanyeol told him that Chaehwan had gone missing. He did a quick U-turn and stepped on the gas to quickly drive back to Yeongdong. “Chaehwan ah. Where could you have gone? Why did you leave the house when you’re blind?” He looked up at the sky as it began to slowly grow darker. He stepped on the gas harder to get there faster.

Chaehwan was feeling her way with the help of the walls. She then heard cars passing by her as she made her way to a local shopping area. Many people pushed past her. She began calling out her boyfriend’s name, “Joonmyun oppa! Joonmyun oppa!! Kim Joonmyun!!!” Chaehwan had her hands in front of her to somehow feel something to help guide her. People passing by stared at her strangely. She continued to call Joonmyun’s name until she reached the street. She walked onto the busy street, cars beeping at her nonstop. Tears were rolling down her cheeks as she continued to walk wherever she was going, terrified of what could happen to her at any moment. “Joonmyun oppa…” she muttered softly.

“CHAEHWAN AH!!!” A figure ran into the street going after her. Before an incoming car could hit her, the figure pushed her into the sidewalk before getting hit on the side of the car on the arm. He landed on the sidewalk a couple of yards away from Chaehwan as he clutched onto his arm in pain. As he saw Chaehwan unconscious on the ground, he made his way to her. “Chaehwan ah. Park Chaehwan! Baby open your eyes! “

After getting treated at the hospital, Joonmyun went straight to Chaehwan’s hospital room. As he entered, he saw Chanyeol asleep on the couch as Chaehwan was still unconscious on the bed. He got a stool and sat next to her. He brushed her bangs out of the way as she slept and stared at her for a long time. If he didn’t make to her on time, she could’ve been gone by then. He leaned forward and placed a gentle kiss on her chin.

Chaehwan slowly began to regain consciousness, but to her shock, she could see light seeping in through the darkness. What was happening? She slowly opened her eyelids and waited till her eyes adjusted to the light. She then looked at the pale white ceiling and light blue painted hospital walls. She turned her head to the left and saw Chanyeol sleeping on the burgundy couch. As she turned her head to the right, her breath got caught in as she caught eye of her loving boyfriend, Kim Joonmyun, asleep with head lying on the bed with their fingers laced together. She also noticed that his other arm was in a cast.

Just then, his cell phone beeped with a notification. He slowly woke up, unlacing his fingers with hers to retrieve his cell phone from his pocket. Chaehwan shut her eyes as he placed his cell phone back into his pocket and then he began to her hair. She then slowly opened her eyes, startling Joonmyun. He kept silent as he didn’t want to alarm her, but with her staring at him made him feel uncomfortable.

“Joonmyun oppa.” Chaehwan called out his name. His eyes widened. Was she really calling his name? He just kept silent. She giggled, “Why don’t you answer me you meanie? You’re staring right at me, yet you don’t say anything to your girlfriend?”

Joonmyun pointed to himself, “Y-You’re talking to me?” He waved his hand in front of her face, to which she grabbed hold of his wrist. His eyes grew even larger, “Y-You can see me? H-How?”

Chaehwan sat up on the bed and faced Joonmyun. She looked right into his eyes as she caressed his cheek, nose, the curve of his lips, and leaned forward and pecked his chin, “Ne, I can…Suho shi.”

And with that, Joonmyun didn’t hold back as she grabbed hold of Chaehwan as he pulled her into a tight embrace with his good arm. “How is this even possible?” Joonmyun kissed her hair. “Is this even real?”

She pulled away and gave him a smile, “Its 100% real Joonmyun oppa. I can see again.” Tears formed at the corner of her eyes and she pulled Joonmyun into a long passionate kiss. “If I lose my eyesight again, will you still love me oppa?” she asked.

He gave her a look and gave her a thousand watt smile, “Of course I will. I found you and stay with you when you were blind. I’ll love you with or without eyesight Park Chaehwan.” Joonmyun brushed his lips against hers as he spoke, “Do not ever run away from me without a word ever again. Promise me.”

“I promise Joonmyun oppa.” Chaehwan responded.  They both gave each other another smile and pulled each other close to share another kiss.

**************************************

Note: I don;t know if hitting your head again can regain your eyesight. I just made that up.

And aren;t you happy that Joonmyun and Chaehwan are back together? ;3

I'll get started on my promised sequel Exo oneshots, starting with Happy Virus Park Chanyeol :D

I start school next week already, so I gotta get started on them pronto ^^ *determined face*

Please leave comments as they're very much loved and check out my other stories/ oneshots :)