Chirstmas with that special someone...

A Special Christmas

 

 

I rubbed my hands together and snuggled closer to Dong Jun as we walked to a nearby café. As we went into the café my friend Hyun Mi and In Yu gave me a warm hug while Dong Jun and his hyungs pulled out our chairs for us. All of them started speaking over each other eagerly while I laid my head on Dong Jun’s shoulder. “Are the two of you even listening to us?!” Hyun Mi frowned while I nodded. They were talking about their trip together. They continue telling us about how technology is really a huge part of it, how cute and intricate the things are there, and the food. I smiled at their shining eyes. How I wish I was there together with Dong Jun. We were planning to go with them too but something came up so Dong Jun can’t go.

 

After talking about the trip, we chatted about everything, remising the past together. Laughing at our silly acts and all the fun we had together back in high school. We were just this big group of people, doing nearly everything together. It is still the same now, though I have to admit we were closer to the other 2 couples as compared to the other members.

If that senior had not rejected me, I wonder if all of us would still be here like this. Thinking back to the ZE:A boys lining up against the locker had me laughing. Later they admit that they thought I’m cool for not crying and holding my head high after being rejected. That is not exactly love, isn’t it? It’s just …admiration? All that matters is that we are all friends, and that my best friends had found their special someone.

 

In Yu was always very quiet and shy around guys, but she opens up to Si Wan when they realised that the other knew how to play the piano. The two of them would always disappear into the music room to play the piano. You can say that the piano bought them together. At that time we didn’t really think much about it since they seem like such good friends. As for Hyun Mi and Kevin, Hyun Mi was always the bubbly and outgoing one, while Kevin is a very caring guy. He treats her extremely well, but it took quite a while for them to be a couple. Just like Hyun Mi had told us, Kevin is someone who takes good care of everyone, so she thought nothing of it, dismissing the possibility that he might like her. Kevin was confused about it himself too. Did he just see her as a dongsaeng or something more? They managed to figure it out when they went to an outing which Hyun Mi nearly drowned.

 

As we were talking Dong Jun walked back in hiding something behind his back. When did he leave the shop? He avoided my eyes and joined in as if he had been there all along. I began to notice that everyone was taking turns to leave the shop. Everyone had went out except me and I was unsure what to do. Hyun Mi nudged me and whispered “Go out and buy your presents if you haven’t! Have you forgotten about our tradition?” Everything became clear. It is Christmas after all, so we were going to exchange presents with each other. So that was what they were doing just now. I walked out of the café even though I had already bought a present for Dong Jun. I did some last minute present shopping for those that I have not yet found presents to give. After I’m done I went back and a loud sound interrupted the conversation. We looked up to see the rest of the ZE:A members had arrived.

 

Beaming, we began exchanging presents. I didn’t give Dong Jun his though he gave me a pair of ear muffs and gloves. Putting it on for me, he flashed a smile before holding out his hands and pouting. “Where’s my present?” all of us had exchanged our presents but I still haven’t gave Dong Jun his. I was embarrassed and with a red face I took the box out. He immediately opened it and beamed in delight. “You knitted this?!” I cringed at the sweater that has a weird shape. “Yeah. I’m not very good at it though. I will make a better one!” he shook his head and put it on. “It’s the thought that counts; besides I love it. It’s so warm.”

 

I was relieved that he liked my present. As we trooped out of the café, we parted ways and I was alone with Dong Jun again. Sitting on a bench in the park, all this felt so familiar. “This is the same bench we sat on when I confessed to you.” Dong Jun touched the bench lightly. How did he know its this bench? All the bench looks the same to me… “The corner of it was chipped off. Has it already been one year? Time flies.” He remembered everything about that day so clearly…I was touched that he treasured it so much. “We are going to spend many more years together like this.” I promised him while hugging him. The moment was ruined when my stomach growled and I blushed. He chuckled and fiddled around in his pockets till he found something. Taking it out, he handed me something. Upon closer inspection I realized it’s a gingerbread cookie shaped like a Christmas tree. It was slightly burned but it is still delicious.

 

“I made that for you. Here’s some hot chocolate.” Taking out a metal container from his bag he poured some for me and drank the rest. “You came well prepared.” I and he just shrugged with a twinkle in his eyes. “I think we should head home…its getting dark.” There were lesser people out on the streets and the weather was getting colder too. I let Dong Jun pull me along, thinking that he is leading us home but my eyes widen as he leads me in the opposite direction, deeper into the heart of the park.

“Dong Jun did you walk the wrong way? The exit is there.” I pointed to the back but he said nothing. Finally stopping in front of some trees, I tried to turn him towards me but something made me stop. Tiptoeing to get a better look over his shoulder, I gasped at the scene before me.

 

There was an elderly and kindly looking man wearing a red and white suit. He had a long white beard and he sat in a carriage pulled by 6 horses with reindeer headbands. All around him the trees were decorated with baubles and other ornaments, with lights strung everywhere. “Didn’t you always say you have always wanted to meet Santa Claus?” It was a childish wish of mine, but I really want to see him. I knew the person at the front of the carriage isn’t the real person, but it felt magical all the same. Climbing into the carriage, we were covered with a thick red blanket and he set off with a wink at the two of us. The whole park was transformed into a winter wonderland, and as we set off it started snowing. He bought us one round around the park and stopped at the exit.

 

Getting down, I took the carrot and fed one of the horses. It nuzzled my hand, blinking its big eyes with its long eyelashes. As we thanked him, he let out Santa Claus’s trademark laugh before riding off into the night. “Dong Jun, how did you make all these?!” he tapped his nose “Let’s just say I had some help from Santa and his helper elves.” I laughed at his reply. We went home together and warm ourselves near the fireplace. “I know you wanted to go to Japan that time…But a schedule came up so we can’t go. I’m sorry.”

 

He broke the silence just as I was about to fall asleep. “It’s not your fault. I’m fine with it, really.” He sighed and shook his head “No you are not, I saw you paying close attention to everything they said about the trip just now.” his cheek gently I place my head on his chest. “It doesn’t matter where we go as long as I’m with you. I had a wonderful one year anniversary and Christmas with you today.” He placed his cheek next to mine and smiled. “I’m glad you liked my present. I have one last present for you.” Showing two piece of paper, I read the words out loud “Plane tickets to…Paris?!” I could feel his whole body vibrate as he chuckled at my reaction. “We should go overseas together…just you and me.” I nodded, too stunned to say anything. Planting a kiss on my forehead, he whispered “Thanks for staying by my side.” Before drifting off to sleep with me in his arms.