Dimmed

Days Before World End

 

Today, 16.05 am

*You have a new message* She watches her sister flips the phone and stares at the caller ID.

“He calls you again?”  She bends over, trying to see the message.  

The young woman with the mobile shrugs, “yeah he does.”

The older of the two frowns over the answer, shaking her head repeatedly. “You don’t love him.”

The younger snaps, “Wh… what?” Her sister knows that she knows. It is a statement rather than a question, anyway.

“Why are you still here?” She stares at her intently.

“Unnie…”

“They say the world ends today, you should forgive him, and be fair to both of them, Seohyun.” The elder unconsciously plays with her pendant.

If the world ends, nothing that I want more than holds your hand, Sooyongie.

*****

 

20.12.2011

“You’ve dropped your pen again.”

She startled when he smiled at her with her pen on his hand.  “Uh, I am so sorry, Sunbae.”

He laughed and offered his hand to pull her up on her knees. “I am only a year older, cut the formalities.” He waited for her to pick his hand.

She blinked and then blushed while taking his offer. “But you’re still older.” She mumbled while trying to steady herself.

He shook his head and gripped her waist. She was shocked and lost balance, and heard a chuckle when all she could see was a broad chest of the man that she secretly adored.

“You’re unbelievable clumsy.” His laughed was like a song to her ear. “My name is Changmin, by the way.” He paused, “But I guess you’ll know it already, Miss Sooyoung.”

*****

 

Today, 17.20 am

“I don’t think we should close early, today.” The elder man rakes his eyes to the neighborhood, notices the strange quietness.

His dongsaeng looks at him in confusion. “But why, Hyung? Thursday is usually our busy day.”

Yixing taps the younger boy’s nose, although he is taller than him. “Haven’t they told you in school? Today is the end of the world.”

The younger shakes his head in disbelief. “That’s only a rumor, how come you believe that?”

His Hyung smiles getting wider and the other know what or in exact who is behind him.

“Why not believe it if that allows you reason to spend your time with your love one?” Yixing sways his way to Wufan and kisses him softly.

His boyfriend laughs and waves to the annoyed dongsaeng. “He’s right. I guess you need to find your best friend and tell him what your real feeling toward him?”

She said she doesn’t want to be a second-best, why everybody always left me, Jongin-ah?

*****

 

14.01.2012

This should be one of his highlight of the year.

His eighteen birthdays, the day he becomes legally adult.

Yet he was there in their attic by himself, feeling lonely and pathetic even when the house were full of people partying on behalf of him.

He blinked a tear, not really understand why it was hurt seeing his best friend kissing his girlfriend.  It was not like he wanted to be kissed by him, right? 

“Hi, I know you’ll be here.” The voice of the one boy that confused him came very closely in his ear. He threw a glance at a side and saw the slightly younger boy smiled at him.

“Why are you here, Sehun-ah?”

The skinny boy shrugged his shoulders. “You’re not there, nothing is fun.”  Sehun plopped himself beside Jongin, slipped an arm under the older, and put his head on the crook of his best friend’s neck.

Jongin thought it was okay to be selfish sometimes and forgot that the boy beside him had a girlfriend.

*****

 

Today, 18.30 am

He watches his partner plays with his mobile phone again, knowing for sure why.

“She hasn’t picked your call?”

The younger man shakes his head. “No, Hyung, she basically ignores me.” He chokes a sad laugh.

His partner sighs. “Well, you cheated on her, surely she mad at you. Not to mention you did it with her idol.” He throws a glance to the room beside them and regards a beautiful young woman who is busy on a photo session.

Luhan winces on the sarcasm of his Hyung’s tone. He follows the glance and smiles when the young woman on the other room smiles shyly at him. “She never is fully in love with me, anyway.”

The taller guy drops the pen on his hand, “Wh…what?”

Luhan offers his handkerchief and shrugs. “Seohyun. She does not love me like Tiffany does. I should realize that sooner; it gives all of us less headache. It should give Fany more of her eye smiles. I owe that to her. I owe that to Seohyun, and I owe that to you, too, Hyung.”

He stands up and looks relief. “You should find her and tell her how much you love her, Hyung. Because I think she loves you too.” The younger slings his bag on his shoulder and walks toward the love of his life.

Have you ever been in love, Kyuhyun-Oppa?

*****

 

10.11.2012

He never thought that he would be in love with the girl that was practically a dongsaeng.

They were neighbor when they were small. He was the sisters’ long lost older brother. An only child himself, he took the job very seriously. Then his family moved to another part of the city, his father becoming the new boss of the firm, and he rarely saw the girls anymore.

Until one day when his best friend told him that he met a lovely girl who only wanted a date if she could bring her kid sister with them. So his friend asked his help.

He was reluctant at first but his heart strangely pressured him to take the offer. And his heart was right, he was so happy meeting his long-lost sisters.

And fall in love with one of them.

But he did not know it until Seohyun asked him shyly if his handsome (and younger) partner was single. “Why do you want to know?” “Why it matters to you, Kyuhyun-Oppa?”

And he couldn’t answer, instead his heart bleeding watching her dating Luhan.

*****