Work

Work

 

You were washing a mound of dishes in the kitchen of the Kang residence when you heard you phone vibrate against the granite counter. You shut the tap and dried your hands on a dishrag, throwing it over your shoulder as you took the phone into your hand.

"Oh, what does he want now?" you muttered, rolling your eyes and sliding your finger across the bottom of the screen.

Working for the Kangs as their maid wasn't that bad. They were nice enough and treated you with respect, even though they were barely home, always attending meetings and overseas on business trips. The only downside was their son, Junkyu.

He was about your age, a year or two older than you with the maturity of an eight year old. You didn't know if he acted like a jerk just to annoy you or if that really was his real personality. But no matter how much you tried to keep a positive mindset, you could tell it was starting to get to you. And he knew it too.

"Hello?" you answered politely, cringing at your overly sweet voice.

"I'm thirsty," Junkyu's voice played into your ear.

"Okay…" you narrowed your eyes.

"Bring me something to drink," he ordered.

You glanced back at the pile of dishes in the sink, "I'm kind of busy."

"I don't care, I'm thirsty."

"Fine," you growled into the receiver and hung up the phone.

---

You knocked on Junkyu's bedroom door and took a step back. You tapped your foot as you held his glass of water in one hand and looked around in annoyance.

The door swung open and you looked up, meeting Junkyu's eyes.

"Your water," you frowned and shoved the cup into his hand.

You turned down the hall to return to the kitchen when his voice stopped you.

"Wait."

"What?" you muttered between your teeth, slowly turning around.

"I'm hungry," he said innocently, the cup of water in one hand.

You let out a frustrated huff and stalked down the hall back towards the kitchen.

---

You wiped sweat off your brow with the back of your hand and turned off the water. You smiled triumphantly to yourself as you examined the pile of newly washed dishes and dusted off your hands.

"I thought I told you I was hungry."

You turned around and as Junkyu learning against the doorframe to the kitchen, an arrogant smirk on his face.

"Well, I thought that I was your family's maid, not your personal slave," you raised your eyebrows, crossing your arms.

Jungyu scoffed, "Isn't that like the same thing?" he asked with a laugh.

You closed your eyes in annoyance and took a deep breath. You turned your back to the boy and harshly grabbed a rag.

"Well, since you're here, you might as well make yourself something to eat," you mumbled as you wiped down the island in the center of the kitchen.

Junkyu kicked off the wall with groan, "Fine."

He walked over to the fridge and stuck his head inside. You glanced over at him and rolled your eyes.

'I might actually find him cute if he wasn't such a jerk,' you shook your head and continued to wipe the countertop.

"So," Junkyu started, placing his plate with a half eaten sandwich from lunch on the kitchen island.

"No-!" you let out a frustrated sigh when crumbs spilled onto the granite you just cleaned a few seconds ago.

"Why are you doing this anyways?" he asked casually before taking a bite of the sandwich.

"Doing what?" you mumbled as you lifted his plate off the counter so you could wipe up the crumbs.

"This whole maid thing," Junkyu said with his mouth full.

You walked over to the trashcan and shook the rag, "Ever since my mom left, money has been a sensitive topic at him," you hung the rag over the oven handle and leaned against the sink, pursing your lips.

"Oh…" he swallowed and looked down at his plate.

"But it's not a big deal," you faked a laugh and continued to stare down at your feet, "I mean, we all need to help."

"'We'?" he asked.

You looked up and nodded, "Yeah, me and little brother. He delivers cartons of milk before he goes to school while my dad takes care of my little sister at home."

He pushed the plate away from him and crossed his arms before leaning on them, "How old are they?"

"Nine and two."

"I had no idea," he mumbled, dropping his eyes to the counter and guilt washing over him. If he had known what you were going through, he never would have given you a hard time. But the truth was, he was only treating you that way so he could have an excuse to talk to you and hopefully get your attention.  

"Yeah, but you know life happens and you just have to deal with it," you shrugged your shoulders.

Junkyu bit his lip as he nodded his head. He pushed off the counter and moved to lean against the counter next to you.

"How long has it been since you've seen them?" he asked.

You opened your mouth to answer, but quickly closed it and knitted your eyebrows together.

"Why do you care?" you asked in return.

He shrugged his shoulders and bit the inside of his cheek, "They just seem really special to you."

"They are," your lips curled into a grim smile.

"So, how long?" he pressed.

You felt as if your throat was starting to close, "The day before I started working here."

"But that was, like, almost a month ago!" Junkyu exclaimed as he looked at you in horror.

You merely shrugged your shoulders, "I miss them of course, but it's not like I can do anything about it. I'm working now and you never give me a break," you shoved his shoulder lightly, a teasing smile on your lips.

"Hehe, yeah, sorry about that," he apologized, scratching the back of his head, slightly embarrassed.

"Nah, it's fine. I kind of had a feeling it was all an act," you smirked.

The two of you lapsed into silence, both staring at your feet. You were thinking about your family and Junkyu thinking of a way to make it up to you.

"What are you doing?" you asked.

Junkyu had suddenly grabbed your wrist and started pulling you towards the door.

"Don't ask questions, just grab your jacket and put on your shoes," he ordered as he shoved his feet into his designer shoes.

You gave him a wary glance but did as you were told. He grabbed your wrist again and pulled you to his car.

After sitting you down on the passenger seat, he shut the door and quickly made his way around the the front of the car and sat behind the wheel.

"You're not kidnapping me right?" you raised your eyebrows.

Junkyu rolled his eyes and shook his head, "What's your address?"

"My address?"

He nodded and pulled out his phone. You gave him your address and you watched him type it into his phone's GPS.

"Why do you want my address?" you asked slowly.

"You said you missed your family," he glanced at you before turning on the engine, "So we're going to visit them."

Your eyes widened, "Really?"

"Yeah, why not?" he gave you a small smile as he shrugged his shoulders.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" you yelled and leaned of the center counsel to wrap your arms around his neck, giving him a tight hug.

Junkyu froze when he realized what was going on. He felt a warmth spread through his body and butterflies start to fill his stomach. His lips formed into a smile and he wrapped his arms around your waist, returning your hug.

"No problem," he whispered.

You pulled away and sat back in your seat with a giddy smile. You looked over and saw Junkyu just sitting in his seat, looking down at his hands that were folded in his lap, a smile on his face as well.

"What are we waiting for?! Let's go!" you exclaimed, breaking Junkyu out of his trance as you put on your seatbelt.

Junkyu laughed and shook his head. He put the car in reverse and backed out of the driveway.