April Fools?

April Fools?

The display read 12:00 on Minwoo’s Hello Kitty digital alarm clock, which Chanyong had gotten him for his birthday three years ago. Another late night spent studying. As Minwoo rubbed his eyes tiredly, he heard a tapping sound at his bedroom window. He abruptly turned and gasped at the sight. Chanyong was balanced precariously on the branch of the tree just outside, gripping the trunk for support and tossing small pebbles which were responsible for the tapping he had heard. Minwoo hurried over and threw open the window.

“What are you doing?” Minwoo hissed.

“Umm, I…” Chanyong seemed to have momentarily forgotten why he had come there. As they both silently regarded each other, the cool night breeze blew by and allowed Chanyong to gather his thoughts.

“Oh, can I come in? It’s a bit cold,” he shivered.

Minwoo normally wouldn’t let just anyone into his room like this. But since Chanyong was his best friend, he couldn’t exactly say no. Minwoo rolled his eyes and sighed in submission, then stepped back to give him some room. But he raised an eyebrow as Chanyong remained standing, holding onto the tree trunk.

“Are you coming or…” Minwoo’s mouth fell open in realisation. Chanyong had nothing to hold onto to let him cross into the room, except for a thin branch above.

Laughing he shook his head, “What kind of man are you? Just jump!” Minwoo joked. Chanyong looked at him as if he were crazy.

“Oh alright,” huffed Minwoo, and then leaned out to offer Chanyong his hand. Holding onto it and the branch above, he inched his way across. Just as he made it to the window’s ledge, Minwoo’s eyes grew wide as he noticed the branch above threatening to snap. Alarmed, he grabbed Chanyong’s arm and yanked him in.

Chanyong tumbled through and both boys fell to the ground in one heap. Minwoo remained silent for a while. Once he was sure his parents hadn’t awoken to the commotion, he let out the breath he had been holding and Chanyong began chuckling. It was then that Minwoo noticed, Chanyong still lay awkwardly on top of him, with face in the carpet and arm still in his tight grip. Minwoo squeaked in surprise, releasing his grip and pushed Chanyong off.

“Ow!” Chanyong yelped, as he rolled to the side.

Minwoo gasped and immediately crawled over, “Are you OK? Did you get hurt when you…fell through the window?” He bit his lip and shook his head, “I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have done that. I just thought that the branch was going to break and…” He trailed off when he noticed that Chanyong had sat up and begun laughing to himself.

“Hey!” Minwoo furrowed his eyebrows and frowned, “That was another April Fool’s prank wasn’t it?”

“Another?” Chanyong raised an eyebrow at Minwoo.

Minwoo’s heart raced as he tried to work out what Chanyong meant.

“You…All day, you were following me…” So all that incessant confessing wasn’t a joke? Minwoo grew hopeful.

“April Fool’s Day is over,” Chanyong interrupted his thoughts and nodded towards the clock, which now read 12:10.

Minwoo’s cheeks burned with embarrassment, of course that’s what he meant. He subconsciously frowned.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Chanyong mirrored his frown and shuffled closer to peer into his eyes.

“You know,” Chanyong broke the silence, “I didn’t get the chance to prank you at all yesterday…”

Allowing the words to sink in, Minwoo froze.

“Do you want to know why?” He continued, “I was too busy wishing that you were mine…” He trailed off when he noticed that Minwoo was now staring at him, and Chanyong swore he could just make out a shy smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

Minwoo’s heart thumped madly, as Chanyong tilted his chin up before continuing, “Look at me.”

Chanyong brushed his thumb over Minwoo’s cheek as he remained frozen, “Look at me…” He repeated, “Not as your best friend, but as your man.”

Once Chanyong was sure that Minwoo had heard everything, he began to lean in to test his reaction. Minwoo’s heart felt like it was going to burst any second and his eyes automatically fell closed. At this, Chanyong smirked with satisfaction then finally leaned in all the way and their lips met.

***

So…April Fool’s Day huh? Chanyong thought to himself, as Minwoo lay asleep in his arms. I can’t wait for our anniversary!