From Work To Wreck

Forgetting

As Jungmi arrived at the place she and her to-be-student agreed upon, a familiar tune started ringing in her ears. She dug at her pockets, shuffling to find her mobile phone.

"Hello?"

"Hi! Is this Jungmi I'm speaking to?" A voice answered.

She had already guessed by the sender's name that her student will be a man but hearing the low voice on the phone pushed away the possibility of a having a female student with a boyish nickname. She just wanted to make sure.

"Hello? Hello? Are you still there?" The voice rang in her ears again, stopping her trail of thought from going even further.

"Ah! Sorry, sorry. You must be Jeongin. I just arrived at the meeting place."

"Oh, that's great! Hope you didn't get lost," he then chuckled. "I'll be on my way then."

"OK. I'll be waiting. See you later."

She hung-up once she heard the beeping of the phone, and stood looking around for her student for the evening. She may not be picky with her students but she was wishing that her student would at least be decent looking. 'It wouldn't require too much effort to look at them,' she thought.

The meeting place was quite busy, and she began doubting that she would be able to meet her student in such a place. She did not want to give up so easily though. She needed money to get by, and she just spent money to ride the train in order to meet her prospect student.

She then remembered bringing a neon pink bonnet. The one that Jihoon had given her for her birthday. She chuckled at the memory of receiving the hat.

"Jungmi, you know, you're too short, and I have a hard time looking for you around malls," Jihoon said as he was digging into his backpack. He then pulled out a blue box adorned with little white flowers flattened out by the other contents of his backpack. He continued, "So I took the matter into my own hands! Happy birthday lil sis! Hope you wear whenever we head out. Wouldn't want to have my little sister kidnapped now, do we?"

Just then, her phone rang again, disrupting her from her thoughts once again.

She then hurriedly pulled out the bonnet and wore it. She shuffled for her phone, and answered it right before it went to her voice mail. "Sorry. I forgot to ask what you're wearing." Jeongin stated.

"I'm wearing a neon pink hat, and a black leather jacket. I believe you wouldn't have a hard time looking for a girl with a bright pink hat with a phone stuck on her ear though."

Jeongin chuckled, and said, "You're funny. I might enjoy being your student after all."

"Oh, you! Don't even try flattering me." She was about to continue talking but a man with jet black hair parted at the center, clad in a black suit, pale face adorned with a moustache and a slight goatee waved at her.

Her heart fell out of her chest at the sight of the man. She expected him to at least be a little younger. Or at least look a little younger. But she did not want to back out of course. She was not that shallow. She just daydreamed for something better.

"Terribly sorry for making you wait! Have you eaten?" the man inquired as he got near. She did not get to answer as she wanted to since her stomach grumbled at the question.

"I'll take that as a yes, then. Come! I know of a good place."

She then tailed behind him. They entered a restaurant that seemed too extravagant for her. Worry started to show on her face and it did not go unnoticed.

Jeongin then pat her shoulder and said, "Don't worry. I brought you here, so it's only natural that I pay for everything." She then looked at him and said, "Ah, is that so? Thank you. Sorry for the trouble." She gave him a small distorted smile while thinking of a way to remove the lingering hand on her shoulder.

She noticed the way the waiters and the waitresses were looking at the two of them. It was not that obvious but she felt awkward. Their looks made her feel so small, as if she had done something wrong. One of them then went their way, and lead them to their seat. The waiter then bowed and went to serve other customers.

"Do you want anything?" Jeongin asked Jungmi while looking at the menu. Jungmi peaked at him from the menu she was holding, and replied, "Ah, no thank you. Water's fine with me."

"Nonsense! What about cocktails? Don't you drink cocktails?"

"I've drank once but..."

"OK! Pink Russian it is then! Oh, and have you ever tried drinking rice wine?"

"No, I haven't but..."

"OK, let's order that, too then!"

Jeongin then called the waiter, and ordered both drinks and some barbecue and pizza as well.

Once the waiter left, Jeongin turned to Jungmi, and smiled brightly. "So, tell me about yourself."

Jungmi then felt the need to relax herself, and convince herself that the student needs to learn on his own pace, and that included being comfortable with the teacher. 'This is normal,' she thought to herself over and over.

As she calmed down, she looked him in the eye, as she normally would to people she conversed with, and said, "I'm Jungmi, 19 years old, and I just moved here 2 months ago." She did not like talking about herself too much so in return she inquired, "Why won't you say something about yourself too? And please try your best to say it in English."

She was actually an English conversationalist. Basically, she had to speak English to people to expose them more to the language, therefore pressuring them to better their English. But she explained English grammar everytime her students gave her a blank stare.

"OK. Well, my name is Jeongin. I am 27 years old. I like uh... travel. I like travel," he said stiffly as if he had been programmed to say them for quite a long time.

She then started trying to pressure him and asked him more questions in English. She pressured him to talk in English more, and tried her hardest to talk very slowly for him to catch on what she was saying. However, she was still an ordinary teenager who liked living life on the fast track, and got easily distracted by other things out of boredom.

The man took his time, and had a lot of pauses trying to think of what he wanted to say. He did not really have a clue on what he wanted to say and ended up speaking in his mother tongue. This eventually led to having endless conversations in his native tongue since Jungmi had also grown weary of holding back her yawn.

However, as time passed by, as she finishes her drink, she had been continuously receiving more and more alcohol, even leading to a point wherein the man just gives her more alcohol regardless of whether she finishes her drink or not.

That was the thing about courtesy. She could never say no, especially since she was not the one paying. The frugality in her also did not help her in her situation. She did not want anyone to waste money, making her drink just about everything.

As they continued their conversation, she noticed Jeongin's foot pushing against hers. She thought that it was accidental at first, and simply pulled her foot away from his. But she felt his foot pushing against hers once again. She then lifted her feet on her chair to prevent the uncomfortable feeling from returning. However, she felt his curled up toes lightly kick at her feet.

She then had enough, and figured that the feeling in her gut was right all along. She then politely smiled at him and asked, "I'm sorry but when will the last train leave?"

"Oh, don't worry about me, I don't need to ride the train."

She then looked at him and thought that after all the alcohol she had drunk, he still was more drunk than her. "Not for your sake, ! Mine!" she wanted to say but decided against it since it may take a wrong turn.

She panicked. She crossed a territory unknown to her, and she did not know how to get out of it. On top of that, the alcohol she had had taken its toll on her. She felt as if she could fall asleep anywhere at any rate.

The man continued to blabber about one of his many travels abroad, but was interrupted by the sound of Jungmi clearing .

"I'm terribly sorry to cut you off but I really need to head home. It's already past midnight," she stated.

"Oh, I'm sorry. How inconsiderate of me. I'll just pay for the bill," Jeongin said scratching his slight goatee.

"And if you don't mind, could you teach me the way to the train station," she said slightly fidgetting with her fingers.

"Don't worry! I'll take you there. Just to be safe."

"Thank you," she said in reply. She was beginning to get a bit relaxed around the man since he seemed to have even an ounce of good manner in him. She thought that she would be able to get to her one-room apartment and sleep soundly on her bed.

However, as they reached the train station, the train operators were heading out one by one. A few lights remained lit around the station. The guards were blowing their whistles as the gates of the train station slowly descended. She then turned to him and inquired, "Are there buses around this time?"

"I'm afraid there isn't. The buses end their operation earlier than the trains."

Worry etched its way back on her face. She did not know how to get home. She did not bring enough money to ride a cab. And most of all, she felt like collapsing on the ground from too much exhaustion.

"What do you plan to do now?" the man inquired.

She looked at him and felt lost. She shrugged her shoulders and scanned the vicinity. She did not know where she was any longer. Her senses seemed to have been taken over by her overwhelming desire of sleeping.

Jeongin seemed to have caught on, and asked, "Are you alright? Do you want to sleep." She just nodded tiredly in reply. She was then asked to follow him since he told her that he knew of a place where she could rest until the train station opened again.

Jeongin started walking again, causing her to follow. She was being asked endless questions about herself, and she answered each of them accordingly with voice slurred by drowsiness.

They then entered what seemed to be a small inn. The aroma of roses filled her senses making her body feel heavier than it was. She noticed Jeongin walking again, and she followed.

They wound up in a tiny room with a king-sized bed and a bathroom. It was quite warm in the room and she was quite thankful of that because the winter wind seemed to have already come.

She immediately went and sat on the bed, and stared at her surroundings.There wasn't anything in the room except for some bedroom slippers, and some bathrobes. There wasn't even a desk in the clamped up room. Everything just seemed a little too cheap.

She woke up from her daze when she was asked. "Don't you think it's too warm in here?" She noticed that Jeongin had already taken off his jacket, and loosened up his belt.

She gulped and answered, "Oh, no. I'm fine. I'm sure it will get colder later on."

"OK... How about a bath then?"

"I only take a bath in the morning. Why don't you just go on ahead and take a bath yourself?"

"I won't take one, since you won't," Jeongin then stated heading towards the bed.

She fished for her phone in her jacket to check for messages she might have received, only to find out that the battery meter was already glowing red. It also bothered her that U-Kwon sent her endless messages regarding the following week's examination.

She was about to reply to his messages when she felt weight on her shoulders and her knee. She realized that it was Jeongin's hands. She was about to say something and push his hands away, when he beat her to it.

"You know, I got so interested in you ever since that phone call. I knew I wouldn't regret having contacted you," he said pulling her closer to him. He then continued, "I don't really give a about English. How about being my girlfriend instead?"

Logic returned to her senses, and all feelings of drowsiness had been knocked out of her. She realized that she had been a little too considerate, and trustful of the stranger attempting to cradle her.

She had been right all along. She shouldn't have pushed away the nagging feeling in her gut. She should have just walked away, and gone home safely instead of acting polite. She shouldn't have cared about the money she was going to receive at all.

But since she realized her impending danger, she just wanted to go out and walk along the streets instead of getting comfortable around the dirty, old man. She had nothing left to lose.

"No, I don't want to be your girlfriend, and I most certainly don't need a boyfriend. Now, stay the hell away from me!"

She slammed the door on her way out, hoping against all hope that he wouldn't run after her. Hoping that he would realize that he would not be able to go anywhere with her. But since she wanted to make sure, she ran wherever she could. She ran until her legs grew tired, and walked around the vicinity to find a convenience store.

She entered the convenience store, and looked around for coffee since she knew it was going to be a long night for her, and she needed to stay alert. As she walked around, she her phone sing a different tune. It was the ring tone Jihoon had picked to "make her jump in excitement to hear her oppa's y bedroom voice " whenever she hears the tune. Or so he claims. She was about to answer her phone but it died on her. She cursed to herself and just continued her hunt for coffee.

Once she found what she was looking for, she immediately went and paid for it at the cash register. Opening and taking a sip out of it right after heading out.

She once again strolled around, and stopped once she found the train station. She did not mind doing nothing for a few more hours since the following day would just be the school festival. She then remembered that Jihoon had just called her minutes ago, signalling her that it was already past 2 o'clock in the morning.

"Hope he thinks that I had just gone to bed early," she said to herself as she sat on the staircase, leaning her head on her lap. She then waited patiently for the gates of the station to open.

---

Oh my! What is this? It isn't even a two shot anymore!! Hah! But oh well... hope you did not get bored from the lack of intimacy and block b in this chapter!

Next chapter will most likely be the last one, if my thumb decides not to be talkative...

Please help me get better at writing and criticize me well! Thank you.