Actually I Meant...

That One Step: Paintbrushes and Sneeky Mums

That one step, that one freakin' step!

 

JR was in a subway. This had became quite a usual sight to see him around here. Others noticed him but he didn't really notice others. He was just in his own little world with his thoughts.

The deadline for his next big painting was about to drop and he hadn't even started the piece yet – he had major crisis in his hands, a lack of inspiration crisis.

 

The train stopped and people rushed out through the open doors. JR took his time, he thought: Why should I rush? Where do I want to get? To the studio? To just sit there with an empty head... just to waste another day without even taking a paintbrush into my hand.

 

As the boy cursed his miserable life in his head he had reached to the staircase leading up onto the busy streets.

A girl rushed past him – he did notice the girl but didn't think much of her. She was just another person going to god knows where, a rather clumsy girl, to be exact.

JR was walking just two steps behind her. I've seen that jacket before... She must be that girl from the gallery.

The girl in front of the boy slipped on the stairs – who the hell spills coffee onto subway stairs?! - and by instinct JR grabbed the girl not to let her fall. The boy himself had had a pencil case in his hand which, by now, had struggled free from his grip and happily scattered it's contents all over the stairs.

It was only moments later when JR realized that he was holding a total stranger (not really) – and  better yet: a girl – by her waist.

Eyes wide, with a face a tinge of red, and mouth not quite shut, he let go of her.

„I'm sorry. It was out of instinct.“ he mumbled looking down, seeing his pencils and pens on the ground. He quickly began collecting the items.

„It's OK...,“ the girl didn't really mind – now was it because she was dazed my JR's appearance, perhaps? - and seeing the situation the boy was in she took some pencils off the ground, too.

„Here.“ she said handing him the pencils.

„Thank you.“ JR slightly bowed, still finding the ground more interesting that the girl.

JR then shuffled past the girl only giving her a little glance. Holy- She's beautiful!

 

„Hey! Wait!“ the girl followed JR, „Can I at least know my savior's name?“

 

They were now up at the street. The girl looked at the boy, who was just standing there, waiting for some kind of response.

„You can hardly call me a savior. I did nothing out of the ordinary.“ JR blurted out.

„No, really, you are. I may have broken this.“ the girl objected and pointed at the box she had in her hands. She also lifted the lid a bit so JR could see that there was a beautiful vase in there.

„If I broke this I'd be more than dead. My mother would bury me alive and dance on my grave. - Oh my gosh, now I sound like I'm delusional, right? Sorry.“

JR had finally managed to look at the girl and the girl's rant actually amused him; he smiled taking the girl's breath away.

„No-no. It's fine.“ the boy said, with confidence building up inside of him.

„Ooh, good... but then – what's your name? I'm Lu Minya.“

„Ah, right. I'm Kim Jonghyun.“

The girls nodded and smiled in response. After that an awkward moment of silence came between them; they just stood there and tried to figure out what to say or do next.

 

„W-which way are you going?“ JR managed to start a new round of this conversation.

„Oh, yeah. That way,“ Minya pointed down the street, „I need to get this vase home as quickly as I can of I'll definitely brake it.“

„Yes, quite true. May I be your ?“ JR suddenly broke into acting a royalty of some kind.

„Yes you may if only you, yourself, have time for someone like me.“ Minya answered in a similar manner.

„I do have time, yes. Quite plenty to make it clear...“ JR trailed off and started laughing. „Sorry. It's just- I brake into this royal-talk if I want to get out from situations like this... I can't believe I did this right now.“

„It's OK. I try to be funny when I don't know what else to do... So we're similar I guess.“

„Seems so.“

 

***

 

The two walked down the street talking about everything that came up to their mind.

JR found out that he was right: Minya was the girl from the gallery... which can only mean that she had seen JR's works. Thus he boy told the girl about his motivation crisis.

„Why shouldn't you paint that subway stairs' accident of today? It would be fun.“ Minya pointed out, „you can have two people in the center and then some people looking at them.“

„Good idea!“ JR beamed, „I can already see the picture in my head.“  He had finally found his muse.

 

***

 

„So here we are. This is my home.“ Minya said when she and JR had come to stop in front of a small block of flats.

„Pretty house.“

„Thanks...“

„So, I guess this is it. This is where we say our goodbyes.“ JR said and glanced at his mobile's watch.

„Oh... Yea... But could we meet again some time?“ Please say yes...

„You wanna meet me again?... I mean... I can't see why not.“

„So... tomorrow?“

„Same time. But I'll be in the Art School for the following two weeks... So maybe we could meet there... and you could take a look at my works which haven't been on exhibitions yet.“ JR said.

„That'd be awesome. I'll come to see you then.“

„OK. Bye then.“

„Bye!“

 

***

 

„Mom! I'm home!“ Minya called her mother as he stepped into her home.

Minya's mother in the other hand wasn't so overly joyous at the moment. The woman looked her daughter with an interesting look in her eyes.

„Mom? Why are you looking at me like that? I didn't brake the vase!“

„I know you didn't. But who was that boy?“

Minya tensed up. Oh no! She saw him!!! I'm dead... I am so dead...

Minya's mother walked up to her and took the box from her hands. She wasn't mad but Minya didn't notice that. The girl was a bit too nervous at the moment.

„So... who was the boy?“

„Mom, I know the house rules but he's a nice guy. He helped me... Thanks to-to him I didn't brake the vase.“ Minya pretty much said everything in one breath as she followed her mother to the kitchen.

„He seemed to be nice. And shy.“ Minya's mother smiled.

Minya was still in the defense position and talked fast. „Yea, he is. He's really nice. You should have seen him when we met. He couldn't even look me in the eye. He's so-oo shy.“

„OK-OK, I get it,“ Minya's mother raised her hand took hush the girl, „you like him... and I'm not against it.“

„But he's- Huh?“

„Didn't you hear me? – I'm not against it,“ Minya's mother smiled, „I see you're wearing my old blouse.“

„Ah, yes... It's so pretty.“ Minya smiled and hugged herself.

The other smiled once again. „You know... I was wearing that blouse when I met your father. - That's right. And my mother saw us, too, the exact same way. But when I got home she wasn't happy at all. She opposed to our relationship and a week later I ran away from home...“ the woman ended with a sad note in her voice.

„I never knew that... But why was granny so against it? Daddy is so nice.“

„He wasn't the nicest guy back then. He never hit me but he was involved in street fights and he used to be in a gang.“

„Oh...“

„Yea... But he changed. I know that people say that those who are violent will never change but he did. He really did and it was because of me. And soon it was because of you.“ Minya's mother smiled at her daughter.

Minya smiled, too.

„And I made a promise to myself that if my little daughter will ever get herself a boyfriend I will not be mad. I didn't want to be like my mother on that one.“

Minya didn't know what to do. She thought she'll be scolded and grounded, and she would be put into a nunnery and she'll never see any member of the opposite ever again-! Knowing her parents that kind of reaction would have been quite logical but now... now she shot up and hugged her mother. Her beloved mother.

„Mom! You're the best! Thank you-thank you-thank you! I love you!“ Minya shrieked.

„OK-OK, my little Juliet. I love you, too,“ Minya's mother hugged her back, „Now, tell me about that boy. What's his name? And when did you meet?“

Minya sat down and began telling her story. Her mother was really interested and wasn't taken aback even not a slightest bit by the fact that Minya and JR had actually met just today.

 

***

JR almost ran up to the studio. He wanted to start with his painting as soon as possible.

„Oh. Look who's here.“ a young man made a comment when JR rushed through the studio's door.

„Finally.“ an another guy said.

„Hi, Zico. Hi, P.O.“ JR smiled and dumped his bag under the table.

Zico and P.O looked at each other and smirked. Zico spoke up: „Hey, JR, could you tell me... I mean I was just wondering... you know...the thing is... that.Ah! - Seriously! Dude, are you married?!“

JR dropped the paintbrushes from his hands. „What did you say?“

„Wait... that didn't come out right...“ Zico realized his mistake.

„What Hyung was trying to say was: are so happy because you met a girl today?“ P.O corrected his friend.

„O-oh... I did... meet a girl, yes.“ JR slowly said while collecting the last paintbrush.

„And...?“ Zico asked.

„And I'm going to see her again tomorrow.“ JR said as he put up the canvas so he could hide behind  it.

„Someone's in love...“ Zico sang. P.O snorted. JR smiled and blushed, starting to sketch the scene in his head onto the canvas.

 

***

 

For the following two weeks Minya came to see JR at the Arts School. The boy pretty much lived there at that time. The girl came by every day and gave the boy some ideas what to paint on his big painting. And as the picture was getting somewhere already Minya felt like the people on the canvas seemed familiar. JR and she – the couple in picture.

Zico and P.O creeped after the couple and acted like schoolgirls when they noticed how Minya or JR looked at each other and acted all shy. Those two – like they claimed themselves – didn't have anything better to do. Right...

Love was in the air... or was it the smell of the paint? Who cares?!

As the painting was almost finished  - there were some days left before the due day for the work - JR said that he wanted to surprise Minya and that meant she wouldn't be seeing the painting anymore before the exhibition. The girl didn't agree with that decision and tried to use her aegyo on the boy but – with great difficulties – JR didn't give in.

 

***

 

„Wow, that's awesome.“ P.O went all gaga over JR's finished painting.

„Nothing out of the ordinary.“ JR shrugged.

Zico scoffed. „Dude, seriously. Take some credit, you really deserve it.“

„Thanks...“ JR said yawning deeply.

„You were up all night finishing your work, weren't you?“ Zico raised a brow.

JR nodded yawning again.

„Then go get some sleep. You'll have big day tomorrow.“ P.O said.

JR collected his things and made his way towards the door. At the door he turned around.

„Actually tomorrow will be twice as big.“ JR smiled, leaving the room.

Zico and P.O looked at each other and smirked.

 

***

 

The gallery was full of people. They were all talking – this place and  had come to life in just an hour. It seemed like a bee or and an ant nest, buzzing lively. Some where laughing, some hungry ones were filling their empty guts at the snack table, some were discussing even arguing over the paintings.

JR who looked this all from above on the upper half-floor of the gallery searched for a certain familiar face in the crowd.

„Minya, where are you? Are you late or have you forgotten?“

When JR saw the one he was looking for his heart stopped. The girl was stunning – not that she wasn't before – though she wasn't wearing anything out of the ordinary of casual clothes but something about her was different. Maybe it was the new meaning JR had for her.

The boy looked at the clock – it was time. Time to reveal his next big painting which, at the moment, was hidden behind a maroon-red curtain.

 

***

 

Minya searched for JR in the crowd – she didn't find the boy. Where are you? Wasn't this supposed to be your big day?

She noticed that people around her turned to look at something so she did, too – others were looking at someone. That someone was JR in a tux.

Minya had to remind herself to breathe. She got swept off her feet. At this moment JR was just so perfect, so classy compared to her. She looked at her clothes. I look like a hobo...

 

„Hello, everybody. Nice to see familiar faces again. For those who don't know me yet: Hello, my name is Kim Jonghyun but I'm known as JR in this gallery. But let's make this short shall we?“ JR said flashing a smile to everyone – a majority smiled back and how could they not, the boy's smile was contagious.

„This painting here... making of it didn't come easy. For three whole weeks I didn't have any ideas but then a certain somebody came into my life in a most unusual way and thanks to her I won't get my head chopped off today.“ JR said in a serious tone. Those who got the joke, of course, laughed and JR smiled.  Seeing another of the boy's smiles Minya felt how her face heated up.

„But anyway, as I am alive, here is that unusual way I met my love.“

Everybody 'aww'-ed at JR's words.

Minya's eyes widened. Did he say... love? As in I'm his love?

JR pulled the curtain aside. A moment of silence came before everyone clapped at the marvelous work. JR was poured over with words of praise, and gifts – flower bouquets, chocolates, a huge teddy bear. It felt more like a Valentine's Day than an opening of an exhibition.

 

***

 

Minya waited patiently for JR. As soon as the boy had a chance to slip away from all the people, he did, and made his way through the crowd to meet up with Minya.

„Hi...“ JR started but suddenly forgot why he came here for. Why do you have to be so pretty? Now I forgot what I wanted to say to you!

„Hi.“ Minya said in the same awkward way. Damn you, boy! Can you get any more handsome?!

„H-have you seen th-the painting?“ JR said blinking more than he used to and pointing at the painting behind him. Of course she has. She was here when you revealed it, stupid! You should slap yourself!

„Yes, but not from up close.“

„Would you like to see it up close?“

„Of course.“

„Then, milady, would you come this way?“ JR started acting again, bowing and reaching his head out for Minya

„Yes, milord.“ Minya made a curtsey and took JR's hand.

„You look breathtakingly beautiful today, by the way.“ JR quickly whispered to the girl as they took their first steps.

„You don't look bad yourself.“ Minya whispered back.

„And that's all?“ JR raised a brow.

They were before the painting now.

„You're very handsome today.“ Minya smiled, looking at the painting.

„That's.... more like it...“ JR said, looking at the girl getting mesmerized once again. Just wow...

Minya giggled to herself – the couple really was them.

„Did you...,“ she looked at JR but as she did their eyes met and she turned look at painting, „Did you... I mean... Did you have the idea to paint us into the picture right from the start?“

„Umm. Yes... Yes it was.“

 

***

 

Meanwhile some people had come up to see the painting. The couple didn't really pay any attention to them but the others sure did pay attention to them.

„A-ah! You're the couple on the picture!“ one of the ladies said breaking the lovebirds out of their little bubble.

„They are?! How sweet!“ the other exclaimed.

JR and Minya looked at each other, looked at the ladies, and just nodded, and smiled to them. They both blushed.

„OK-OK, time to go and leave them to do their thing.“ the first lady said.

„A-ah... right. Let's go-go-go!“ the other sang.

Zico and P.O giggled behind the corner – they has set up this little act.

 

***

 

„That was... weird.“ JR muttered.

„You can say so.“ Minya said.

„Hey...uhh... Minya?“ JR turned to the girl next to him.

„Yes?“

JR took Minya's hand. „I wanna show you something.“

„There's more after this?“ Minya asked pointing at the picture. The girl cheeks were flaming but she tried to keep her cool.

JR smiled and nodded.

The boy led his girl up the stairs to the upper half-floor. The lights up there were unlit making this place seem magical... or something like that.

„Where are you taking me?“

„You'll see. - Close your eyes.“

„JR...“ Minya made her suspiciousness over the boy obvious with her voice.

„Minya...“ JR responded in a similar manner.

 

***

 

When JR and Minya had reached to the place where the boy was taking the girl JR suddenly gasped let go of Minya's hand.

„Don't look!“

„Why?“

Minya heard some paper being ripped... off something. She heard something clicking – it sounded like a lighter. Candles? What was the boy up to?

„OK, ready!“

Minya slowly opened her eyes and the sight she saw took her breath away. JR was standing there smiling brighter than ever, outshining the candles. Ah... yes, the candles... all around the table shyly lighting up the dark corner of the gallery with their small flames. There was a small box on the table...

Minya then looked up. „WILL YOU BE MY GIRLFRIEND?“ was written on the sign.

Minya covered . She didn't know what to do. Should she jump of joy? Jump on JR and hug him? Just stand there and giggle?

The girl just nodded.

JR then came up to the girl and hugged her tight.

„So was that a yes?“

„Yes.“

 

„Come, open your present.“

Minya stepped up to the table and took the box in her hands. She lifted the lid and was surprised once again. The butterflies in her stomach had, by now, stopped flying due to mature exhaustion. In the box she found a beautiful bracelet with a charm attached to it's chain.

„It's beautiful.“ she breathed.

 

***

 

„Don't trip now, superman.“ a young father told to his little son walking next to him, holding his hand.

„I don't think he will. He's not as clumsy as you were... JR.“ the mother of the boy and the wife of the man laughed.

„You may never know.“ JR smiled.

„Actually, I've wanted to ask you this one thing. It's been bugging me.“

„Shoot.“

„What was that paper-ripping noise I heard back at that day you confessed to me?“

„That... Zico and P.O had put up another sign saying: „Actually I meant 'wife'.“

Minya looked at JR and started laughing.

„I guess they knew something.“

„I think they did.“

 

And like this the happy couple – now a family – walks up these subway stairs every day. The stairs that changed their lives.