Baby, Don't Cry.

 

Taerin counted the lockers pass her fingertips. Thirteen… Fourteen… Fifteen…
As expected, the fifteenth locker was the last one before the door to her classroom. It had been a few weeks since her accident, and she was getting quite good at getting around school by herself.

 

Her friends had not left her. In fact, they gladly helped her in any way they could. They even stopped watching movies, no matter how much she insisted it was fine if they went to see one.
But she couldn’t help but feel slightly isolated.

 

It wasn’t the lack of people that made her feel lonely – it was the lack of life.
She could never learn how to drive, play sports, or even put on makeup.

 

It wasn’t fair. She had just turned 18.
Girls her age were out going to clubs, going on dates, shopping.

On the other hand, she was always at home, trying to get the hang of braille or studying extra hard for subjects like biology, where she suffered without the visual guides.

 

 

The only class she thoroughly enjoyed was music. She couldn’t read notes, but she could play piano by ear, thankfully. So she often took the liberty of staying after school to play the few melodies that had not faded from her memory.

 

“You play beautifully.”

Taerin turned her head towards the voice. It was so sweetly familiar, and she felt sorry for being unable to recognize it.

 

“Thank you… I-I’m so sorry, but who is this again?” She asked sheepishly, blushing.
She never felt really embarrassed when praised, but for some reason, she always was weak to compliments about her music.

 

“Yah, Park Taerin! It’s Jongdae!” He shouted with a warm laugh.

Taerin’s mouth formed a big ‘O’.
How could she not know her own boyfriend’s voice?

“Did your voice change? I swear it was much lower on Monday…” She murmured.

 

 

Jongdae smiled sadly, finding comfort only in the fact that she couldn’t see his sadness.
He forced a few chuckles and fondly patted her head.

 

He remembered how happy she had been for him when he told her he had been accepted into SM Entertainment.
How can I tell her I love her now when I’m leaving? He thought bitterly.

She didn’t even remember his voice after a few days. She would surely forget him in a matter of months.

 

“Are you leaving to Seoul soon?” She asked suddenly.

“Yeah, on Saturday actually…”

Taerin turned away so Jongdae wouldn’t see her face fall. She was already terrified of forgetting what he looked like, but an even scarier thought was the thought of forgetting his voice.
She had forgotten it already once today.
And then when he debuted, she wouldn’t know it was him.

 

 

“C-Can you sing for me?” She blurted out.

 

Jongdae was surprised by her sudden request. He blushed.
He had sung in public plenty of times, but it was somehow different now.

 

“Um, okay – but just a bit. It’s embarrassing.” He chuckled nervously. “So listen carefully…”

Taerin nodded obediently and closed her eyes, waiting patiently.

 

“나만은 널 믿어주고 지켜주고 달래줄께
니편이 될께
니곁에서 절대 안떠나”

I will trust you, protect you and comfort you
I will be on your side
I will never leave your side

 

 

As he hit the last high note, Taerin quietly gasped in awe.

 

Jongdae sheepishly chuckled. “The end!”

“Sing more!” She commanded jokingly.

 

Taerin suddenly felt his strong arms around her and she blushed happily.

“I’ll be singing a lot in the future. So make sure you listen!” He swallowed the lump in his throat, trying to sound light-hearted.

 

But Taerin's keen hearing caught his pain.
God, why do you have to take Jongdae from me too? You already took my vision… She thought angrily.
Taerin felt a tear roll down her cheek.

 

“Baby, don’t cry…” Jongdae said, wiping her eyes gently. He hugged her tightly.

 

“Don’t forget my voice. I’ll be singing for you.” He whispered.

 

 

 

-- A/N:

 

Short & sweet - I hope you weren't expecting too much ㅡㅇㅡ;;
it's my first time attempting a one-shot.

 

Well thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it  --

And excuse the unoriginal title... I know there's like 4935834 other stories with the same title ㅡㅇㅡ;;

 

Much love,
exoism