Part II

만약에 - IF
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A/N: You might wanna hear Taeyeon's If to get the full impact:)

 

I watched silently as the white Benz drove off the sidewalk and rounded the bend. As I looked at the macaroon box that was placed snuggly in my hand, I could not seem to decipher what it meant so I just continued holding it like a fool and trudged back into the apartment which we used to share.

 

As I walked through the main door frame, all I could see was photo frames which held nothing but photos of us together. There was one of when we first met, one when we entered college together, one when we celebrated her birthday at our usual celebratory spot. Even one with a frame that read ‘TaeNy’, a combination of our names. It was cluttered with memories of us, memories that I will forever hold dear. 

 

Manyageh, niga ondamyeon

 

Not bothering to turn on the lights, I dragged my feet to the front of my door and just stood there for what seemed like ages. I slowly brought my hand up and turned the knob. It slowly creaked open revealing the shadows of my room. I entered in and switched on the lights, hoping that this was sufficient enough to brighten up my spirits, just like it brightened the room.

 

At this point, I was numb to emotion. I could not feel joy or excitement, angst or sorrow. I slowly walked to the vanity table that leaned erect against the light blue wall of my room and slopped down on the bench that came with it in a set. I stared straight into the mirror and saw my ghastly appearance.  My make-up had smeared revealing my swollen eyes and red nose. My skin was paler than before, and I was already pale to begin with. I must have been sobbing as I saw her leave me to start a new life with her prince in shining armour.

 

Niga dagaondamyeon

 

“Get it over and done with Tae… over and done…” I muttered softly to myself as I wiped away the stray tears that I had no idea existed until I stared into the mirror. I grabbed my concealer and dabbed furiously on the red areas that was showing through my currently flawed make-up. Looking at the clock, I realized that time was not in my favour, I had less than an hour to redo my make-up, pick up the rest of my ‘sisters’ and finally rush to the venue in time to help with the preparation of the bride. As I reached out to get the foundation from the corner of my table, I knocked into a small photo frame. I could not see the fall, could not feel the soft knock, but I heard the glass break, shattering and splintering into many pieces. Reflecting the exact state of my heart and mind. I was shattered, broken and close to depression. I could not do it after all, could I?

 

Nan eoddeogeh haeyamanhalji

 

Struggling to cling onto the last straw of my sanity, I bent down to clear the debris. As I crouched to the marble floor, I slowly picked up the bigger splinters and deposited it into the bin that was somehow conveniently placed near me. When most of the broken pieces of glass were cleared, I picked up the photo and tapped it on the edge of the bin to clear of any stray pieces of glass that might not have been picked up. I looked at the picture and I snapped my jaw shut. Aware of the makeup I had reapplied, I fought back my tears and slowly rose from the ground and back onto the bench. Gently brushing the tips of my fingers on the picture surface, I recalled the sweet times that had led up to this photo. Denying any further dropping of tears, I turned the picture behind and saw 5 hangul characters scribbled in her messy handwriting, smiling slightly as I remembered that her Hangul had never been good.

 

​영원히 함께

Yeongwonhi Hamkke

 

“Liar…” I choked as I allowed the tears to drop and slip of my sharp chin. “Tiffany, you liar.” I yelled as the sound of my screams echoed the four walls of my room. Glancing at the small box that she had placed in the palm of my hands, I felt a sense of irritation building up towards me. Never have I felt this annoyed before. My blood was boiling, and I was fuming. As I began to sob her, I began to curse him – the one who stole her away from me. I began to curse my ill fate, my future life without her, my . But as I began to wail and cry, I began to hate myself even more. I hated my cowardice.

 

If I had told you earlier, would you have been mine?

Would you?

 

Before I could tell, it was time for the ceremony. I watched with boredom as my ‘sisters’ began to walk down the aisle, preparing the crowd for the most beautiful woman of the day. The crown jewel that was the centre of attention today, and I was next. I was the last in the procession and I tried to plaster a smile. Trying to recall the memories we had together, I fought to smile. I had fought so hard to protect her happiness from me, I was not going to end now.

“Taeyeon-ah…” I heard her whisper, without waiting for a response, she continued with a soft whisper “You’re happy right?”

 

Jeongmal alsu eobtneungeol

 

Before I could utter a word of reassurance to her, it was time for me to ‘pave the way’ for the bride. As I stepped pass the doors that led to the chapel, the once silent room suddenly burst into a flurry of whispered discussion. I roughly could know the reason why. While all the other 7 bridesmaid had a different colour dress, each the colour of the rainbow, I wore an ivory dress. The only bridesmaid who was wearing the same shade of colour as the bride herself. It was taboo for someone other than the bride to be wearing shades of white, and yet, the maid of honour was wearing it. To some, this was a crime that was simply unforgiveable, but when I brought it up to her, she rationalized her decision saying that only I was ‘worthy’ to wear it.

 

Naega babo gataseo

 

As I reached the end of the red carpet and took my place at the edge of the row where my ‘sisters’

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter