My Wings in Your Shoe Box

My Wings in Your Shoe Box

 

 

Jiyong gasped when he saw a monster kneeling in front of his fire place. With hurried steps he ran back to his room and grabbed his cellphone, pressing 112 faster than texting his mother. “Hello, hello, there’s a stranger broke into my house! Yes, ah my address?” he then mentioned his complete address, “Please send your men here quickly. Yes sir, thank you.” he added before slipping his cellphone into his side jeans pocket.

Carefully, with a tennis racket behind his back, he sneaked back into his living room. The monster was still there, big-crazy hair with leaves and gum decorating the curls. It was still there, enjoying his fireplace motionlessly, until his dog Gaho popped out of nowhere and started to sniff the monster.

“Ya..yah! YAH! YAH! YAH! GET AWAY!”

Surprisingly, the monster turned out to be a girl with an annoying voice, and Jiyong instinctively moved back, hiding himself behind one of the wooden pillar when he saw the monster climbing the sofa desperately, running away from the confused Shar Pei dog who wasn’t even trying to bite her.

It was then when Jiyong could finally caught a glimpse of her face and quickly took a shot of her with his cellphone. Now you can’t run from the police.. he thought, satisfied seeing the blurry photo in his phone. The girl was definitely a loose patient from a local mental hospital, Jiyong thought. No normal girl would be going out in Christmas Eve with a Halloween costume and a hideous makeup like that, he said to himself, watching her still crawling at the sofa, while Gaho was now sitting in front of the fireplace, wagging his tail calmly, completely ignoring her.

“Make your dog go away!” she said again, and Jiyong pushed his head out of the pillar, “I’VE CALLED THE COPS! THE COPS! DON’T MOVE.” he said, loud and clear, before going back behind the pillar. He could hear the girl letting out a desperate cry, and when he peeked again, she was now scratching his wallpaper.

HIS WALLPAPER.

“HEY! I got that on a last minute Christmas sale! Aish, why are you ruining it?! GET OFF MY WALLPAPER!” he screamed, leaving his hiding spot and pushed the girl away from his torn wallpaper. The monster-headed girl screamed in horror once she landed on the wooden floor, realizing that she was once again standing on the same floor as the dog. Without a warning she jumped back to the sofa, pushing Jiyong so she could have all the space to herself, safe from Gaho’s fierce attack.

Jiyong was surprised by all the things happening in the past few seconds, but he managed to take control of himself and, while still keeping a distance from the girl, finally decided to shoo his dog away, “Gaho, wait in my room, okay? Go, Gaho!” and with that order, Gaho got up and started to walk away, leaving the fireplace.

When Jiyong turned to the girl, he saw her trembled, slightly chattering and at that moment, magically, snowflakes appeared on top of her, falling gracefully down to his living room. Jiyong was stunt at the beautiful scene for that very few seconds, until his eyes followed to where the snow was coming out. His eyes widened when he saw a hole bigger than the fireplace up in his roof. A direct access to the snowy sky that night.

“Did you.. did you come in through..” he asked the girl, pointed to the dreadful-looking hole above them.

The girl nodded, and slowly putting her bare feet down, knowing that Gaho has left. “Thank you, for shooing the dog away.” she said funnily, bowing a little to him. “I.. actually came here to get my shoes back.”

“Huh?” Jiyong was still trying to process everything, especially with the scary face in front of him right now, he wasn’t sure if this girl was even sane in the first place.

“You bought my shoes!” she said, adding more information which at the complete opposite, brought more confusion to Jiyong.

Jiyong took another look at the girl. Her tangled brown hair, her over-sized parka jacket, her dusty little face, and more importantly, the A-size bra cup, she was definitely not a girl he would know, or he would want to know. “I’m sorry, but we have never met before, and I never bought any shoes from strangers.” he said, and a part of him was still wondering if he knew this girl. But no, this was the first time he met her. He was sure of that.

“Who said anything about us meeting before?” the girl said, before continuing, “You know which shoes I’m talking about, and I need it back, now if you don’t mind. I still need to catch him!”

“Catch who?”

“The one who dumped me!” the girl said. Jiyong stiffened hearing her words, and he knew where this conversation was going to head.

“You were dumped? On Christmas Eve?”

The girl nodded, “Oh! He pushed me! I said, NO! but he just laughed and walked away with his friends.” she said, looking pissed. At least she didn’t cry, he thought. Either she was a really strong girl, or a mentally-sick person. That boyfriend of hers was pretty harsh, any girl would cry being treated like that.

“Sorry, I talked too much..” she said, grinning awkwardly. “Now can you please return my shoes?” she said, repeating her request.

Jiyong sighed, he had absolutely no idea what shoes she was talking about. He had waited for the sound of the police siren, wanting to assure himself that if the girl suddenly snapped and killed him, the police would be here to witness the whole thing.

“Alright, I’ll just get all my shoes. Wait here.” he said, still keeping the tennis racket close to him. The girl nodded as she crawled back to the fireplace.

 

***

 

“Wah cool shoes! You have so many awesome shoes!” Jiyong could see how her eyes sparkled at the sight of his recently-bought shoes collections. He had the spiky one, the wedged one, metallic and weird-looking sport shoes, and the girl happily touched each and everyone of them.

“Okay, just take what you like and wait until the police come. They’ll send you home.” he said, intentionally sitting on the sofa with his tennis racket, so he could watch over the girl from behind, who was still busy looking through his shoe boxes on the floor.

“It’s not here. Where is it? You know you bought it a few hours ago!” she said, checking the rest of the empty boxes but still didn’t find what she was looking for. Before Jiyong could even answer her, the girl had left the boxes and started her own search throughout the house. Jiyong had no choice but to follow her before she could steal anything from his house.

Behind her, he could see how her hair was a real mess. Small branches and dried leaves, even a price tag stuck there in the middle. Jiyong didn’t even dare to imagine what kind of places this girl had gone to tonight. She even came here barefooted. Well that explains why she needed her shoes back.

“Y-your dog!” she stopped in front of his room, pointing to Gaho in horror, who was just laying around lazily next to an opened shoe box under his bed.

“Oh, so that’s the one you wanted?” Jiyong asked, and the girl nodded before hiding behind the wall, not wanting a second encounter with Gaho. Jiyong smirked as he walked in to take the shoe box, “Smart move. Because I think Gaho doesn’t like you. Don’t make him mad and bite you.” he whispered, acting as if Gaho was watching the girl closely. He successfully made the girl shuddered in horror.

“Here, wear them and wait in the living room.” Jiyong said, escorting her back to the fireplace. Though he honestly didn’t remember the part where this girl owned the shoes; he clearly bought it at the mall a few hours ago.

He watched how the girl slipping her feet into the shoes easily, and what surprised him more was that they shared the same foot size. Wait, but her feet were smaller.. Jiyong still remembered her small dirty bare feet a few minutes ago. “Are they really your shoes?” he asked, trying to make everything more sense to him.

She stood up and tried her shoes for a walk, “Yep, this definitely is my shoes!” she said, happily walking around, tapping her shoes against the wooden floor. The only nice thing about her at that time was that shiny winged white shoes, compared to her messy-crazy look. “Aigoo.. it feels warm..” she sighed like an old ahjumma, still walking  and tip-toeing in a random little dance.

“Okay, okay. So you are the owner of those shoes. You came to my house to get that back, although I BOUGHT that using Seungri’s credit card. AND, you broke my roof. Wait, how did you say you come into my house again?”

“Through that hole!” she said confidently, without even looking at him.

“Did you break your bone or something, falling from that ceiling..?” Jiyong threw another question, though he was quite sure that the girl seemed to be perfectly fine. It was simply because her answer just didn’t sound so logical to him.

“I’m fine, I was still be able to do the trick, but without my shoes, it wasn’t working that well..” she said.

Again, her words made Jiyong felt like choking her. “Can you just.. explain what exactly happened?”

 

***

“Mr. Kwon! Are you inside? Open up!”

“The police is here..” Jiyong mumbled, still leaning back at his sofa, trying to absorb the story he had just been told. The girl rose on her feet when she heard the knockings on the door. Jiyong gave her a nod, and she nodded back to him with a smile. A gentle and sincere smile Jiyong didn’t catch before.

She took a deep breath, standing under the light from the broken ceiling. At first Jiyong thought she was going to run into his kitchen, but she stayed there, and slowly floating to the sky.

What?

Those tiny wings on her shoes flapped fast, and clumsily the girl moved her feet up and down to keep her balance in the air. The girl was flying towards the hole at the top of his living room.

“You’re..flying..”

“Good night Jiyong-ssi! Thank you!” she said, kicking the air as the snow rained on her face and into the living room. For that particular moment, that crazy-looking girl looked strangely beautiful, even with the dirt on her face and the garbage on her hair. She was clumsy yet graceful and Jiyong didn’t even know how to describe that tingly magical feeling in his stomach.

The sound of a broken door and boots stomping into his house drifted his attention back to reality. A line of policemen stood in front of him, with their guns ready. “Mr.Kwon? Are you alright?”

“The guy had ran away, through that roof!” he said, pointing to the hole and smiled. He could still see the tip of her shoes for a second there before it was gone completely. “None of my things were taken, no worries.” he added, and the policemen started to flood him with more questions.

But no matter how hard they searched, they wouldn’t find her. Jiyong knew he was lucky enough to be able to see that girl at least once in a lifetime.

 

***

to be continued...


Hey guys! Thanks for reading, and this is an early Christmas gift to you all, I guess~

Part 2 of this story will be up soon, so stay tune :)

I know, I know, everything is still so blurry here, that's why I made Part 2~^^

Leave your comments below and tell me what you think~!

Kekeke have a good day!