Memories

Unbreakable

   The door burst opened. Ji Eun stood protectively in front of her younger sister, Ji Hye. I wished I could disappear right now. I wished my sister doesn’t have to go through this every day. I wished my sister can live a happy life just like other girls her age.

   I want to live happily too.

   Our father smiled. He was drunk, very drunk. He started to his belt. He shouted at me to move away.

   Umma. Umma. Umma.

   “Move away Ji Eun! Move now or I’ll beat you too.” He pushed Ji Eun away. Her sister was already crying, scared of how her father had become a monster.

   “You. If only you didn’t come out to the world, your umma would still be here. My business wouldn’t have corrupted. And we would all be living happily. If only you didn’t come out..” Appa was about to start hitting but Ji Eun was quick enough to wrap her arms protectively around Ji Hye.

   “Andwae!”

   Ji Eun tried hard to hold her tears from the pain. Her father continued hitting until he was satisfied.

 

 

 

   “Unnie.. I’m so afraid.. Unnie..” Ji Hye cried in Ji Eun’s arms as Ji Eun tucked her to sleep.

   “Gwaenchanna.. I’m here.. Everything will be okay.. I will always protect you..”

   Ji Hye’s tears couldn’t stop from flowing. It takes everything for Ji Eun’s tears not to flow too. “Do you want me to sing you a lullaby?”

   Ji Hye nodded. Her crying immediately stop. Ji Eun’s pleasant voice has always calmed her sister. It stopped her from having nightmares too.

 

 

 

   “Oppa.. Oppa.. please don’t leave us.. Andwae.. Andwae..” Kris forced himself to look away. He couldn’t make eye contact with his sisters anymore. If he were to turn around now, he knew he wouldn’t make it.

   If oppa stays, appa will beat all of us.. Oppa mianhae..

   Ji Eun cried her heart out, begging to Kris. But Ji Eun’s heart broke at that very precise moment as Kris turned away and took a step leaving his family behind.