Overdose

No Honey? No Money!

 

The old man looked at dull wall clock hanging from the glowing white walls. Maki should be here by now to give him is daily intake of medicine. He slumped down on his bed and continued reading another novel. He wasn’t too far into the book when he heard a sudden knock from his door.

“Come in,” he yelled. He grew a little suspicious as to who would be visiting him at this time. It couldn’t be Maki; she never knocked on the door.

“Yamaa-san,” the old man’s employee entered the room and bowed.

The old man nodded, acknowledging his presence and put his book down. “What is it?”

“They’re marching themselves into trouble.” He answered sternly and took out something from his briefcase. “The profits are clearly decreasing but they’re still investing and opening up new branches.”

The old man massaged his temples, “Their too stubborn and have got too much pride,” the old man gritted through his teeth. The employee then took out some more papers from his briefcase. “And greedier,” he added as the he saw the number of properties bought by his family within the last few months. “What about my grandchildren? Still only interested in parties and girls?”

The employee could only simply nod in agreement.

“I guess I have no choice.” The old man sighed.

“Yamaa-san, it’s time to take your medication.” Maki announced as she entered the room, unaware that he had a visiting guest. “Oh, I’m sorry.” She bowed as she finally noticed someone else in the room.

The employee stood up and excused himself from his boss. The old man nodded and then sunk lower into his bed. “You’re late.”

Maki walked up to him as usual and placed the tray in the usual spot. “I’m sorry. I was taking care of my grandmother in another room.” She fidgeted with the medicines on the tray. “I’m surprised that you’re not reading a book.”

The old man grabbed the book that he had placed down earlier, “Thanks for reminding me,” he smirked and pretended to drift back to his world of words.

“No, I didn’t mean it like that” She sighed. She wanted to hit herself, why did she have to remind him?

“Are you okay?” The old man suddenly asked out of the blue. This caught Maki by huge surprise, was he really asking if she was feeling okay?

“Not really,” she placed a tired smile on her face. “But are you feeling okay?” She asked him back with great suspicion.

“Not really,” he repeated her words. Maki didn’t really know how to react. This was the first time in about a month that the old man was opening up to her. “I can’t believe they’re letting everything I’ve worked for crumble for their own satisfaction of pride and greediness.”

Maki sat down on the chair beside the old man’s bed, “Who?”

“My so called family,” he replied. “But I guess my problems are nothing compared to yours. How’s your grandmother?”

Maki wanted to pinch herself, wanting to know if the old man’s open heart was just a dream. Just for a slight reassurance, she quickly pinched her thigh. ‘It definitely wasn’t a dream,’ she concluded.

“She’s a fighter,” Maki chuckled a little at the thought of her grandmother. She found herself telling the old man of the story when her grandmother was still healthy, she was able to chase four robbers out of their little house.

For the first time since Maki had been taking care of the old man, he showed a genuine smile and laughter. “I think I might have overdosed you a little,” Maki joked.

The old man smiled once again, “Maybe.”

Maki stood up from the chair and started packing the medicine neatly on the tray. “I might have to do it more often,” she added with a smile. Just as she was about to exit his room, Maki heard the old man ask.

“Hey Maki, what would you do if you had a large amount of money?”