The Beginning (Donghae)

Something Special

 

It had been a long day filled with a couple hours of classes and a seemingly endless amount of soccer practice to follow. The sky was already tinted in multiple shades of red and yellow, foreshadowing the dark night that was sure to follow in just a couple minutes.

Donghae was walking home from soccer practice that day. He didn’t even consider taking the bus even though all of his muscles were basically yelling at him to let them rest for a while. It was the middle of soccer season right now and Donghae, being one of the starting players, couldn’t afford to let his body get out of shape. Therefore he continued to walk, desperately trying to ignore his aching muscles as well as he could.

He was letting out a loud yawn. He hadn’t been able to sleep the previous night as well. Every time when he was just really close to falling asleep, there was this uncomfortable feeling he was getting, which refuses to let go of him and allow him to fall back asleep. He couldn’t put his finger on it exactly, but it reminded Donghae a lot, of the feeling one would get when going on vacation, and just remembering that one had forgotten to switch off the coffee maker, when boarding a plain. Somewhat restless.

Suddenly his stomach was making a loud sound. Finally halting his movements Donghae took a minute to consider his options. He could just go back to his apartment and order a pizza or something, but he was sure that his stomach wouldn’t agree to have to wait that long for a delivery at all, so he could just as well go to the next convenient store and grab some microwave dinner.

He made his way in the direction he knew should be the nearest convenient store to his place. With every step he felt more and more tired. Something was seriously off with him. He couldn’t sleep and it just felt like his energy was being drained away from him. That wasn’t like him at all and Donghae knew that. Maybe he was getting sick?

After buying dinner he made his way to his apartment. Once he put his food into the microwave he let himself fall back onto his couch. Maybe he could just close his eyes for a couple seconds…. No, no, no!!! Donghae started to pat his cheeks in a violent manner. If he gave in to the exhaustion now he wouldn’t be able to fall asleep again this night. Slowly he stood up and made his way to the bathroom to take a shower that would help keeping him awake. When he was just about to enter into the cabin he suddenly noticed something really odd about his body. His whole upper body from his navel, up to his shoulders seemed to be covered with fine, black lines, on the front and back part of his body alike.

Under normal circumstances Donghae might have been afraid because of something like that happening to him, or at least confused. But as things are it was almost like relief was overtaking him at that moment. He had been waiting for this. Well, not “this” specifically, but rather “something”; something unusual, extraordinary. He knew that something was going on with him lately. He felt different from the people around him. Really different. Ok, he thought that what he would get would be something more along the lines of a letter from Hogwards, but strange black lines on his body was at least something to work with. 

When Donghae tried to look more closely at his body in the mirror, he also noticed something else that was different.

“Have I always been that tall…?” he mumbled to himself, noticing that his head seemed to be at least 20cm higher in the reflection of the mirror than usually. Maybe, having been slightly self-conscious about his height before, he almost began to grin. Then he noticed the actual cause of his sudden “growth spurt”. He wasn’t really taller. He was just floating a little.

This time he actually DID freak out.

“What the F---,“ he began, while violently paddling with his arms and kicking out with his legs, causing him to spin around in mid-air and hitting his head hard on the ceiling. But Donghae could thankfully only feel the pain for a couple seconds, before he crashed back down towards the floor and out.

 

 

<3<3<3

 

 

When Donghae woke up the next morning the first thing he felt was the major pain in his head, closely followed by the stiffness of his body from sleeping on the floor all night.

While rubbing the bump on his head, Donghae sat up on his bathroom floor. He was slightly wondering why he had been on the floor in the first place, and on top of that , when the memories of the previous night came back to him. Suddenly energized, he jumped to his feed and looked at himself in the mirror.

They where still there! Clearly visible, the black lines looked like a tattoo against Donghae’s smooth, cream-colored skin. Starting to get exited again, Donghae tried to make himself float by jumping up and down in place, for about five minutes.

After the initial shook, the thought that he might be able to fly exited him to no end. But after he noticed that nothing happened, no matter how long he tried jumping (aside from him feeling really chilly, since he was still very much ) he pounded a little and decided to just forget about the situation for now and to take a shower first. He had to go to university after all. After he finished showering, Donghae went to his bedroom to get dressed, where he took a look at his watch for the first time that day.

“.”

That was all there really was to say, since he was already way to late for his first couple lectures. Even if he left now, he might only be able to make it to his last class for the day. Gathering his cloth, getting dressed and grabbing his bag pack in record time, Donghae ran out of his apartment, not even bothering with grabbing some kind of breakfast or tying his shoes properly. Just why the heck didn’t he check the time BEFORE he showered? Now he had to run all the way to university and he didn’t even make it to lunch-break, where he could have told his best friend Ryeowook about his (not yet quite confirmed) new super powers! Just thinking about that got Donghae hyped up again and he started to run even faster, if that was even possible.

Arriving just when his professor was about to close the doors to the lecture room for good, Donghae let his body slip into an empty seat in the back row. Not really caring about the lecture at all he put his head on top of his desk, trying to even out his breath. He was feeling even more exhausted than he did the previous day. Even though he slept on the floor the previous night, he should have gotten at least ten hours of sleep because he overslept that badly. When Donghae heard his stomach made a really loud noise, even the girl next to him must have heard, he could only sign. With regret he thought about last nights dinner still sitting in the microwave, just waiting for him to come back home.

Finally sitting up straight again, Donghae began to wonder just why he had been in such a hurry to come to university in the first place. He wasn’t really what one would call a brain in the first place, so nobody really expected him to attend all classes, anyway. He was on a soccer scholarship and he kept his attendance and grades just slightly above average in order to keep it that way. What lecture was he sitting in right now anyway? Looking at the board he guessed it was English. Maybe. Letting out another sighs, Donghae gave up trying to figure out what he was supposed to be studying right now and settled for looking out of the window for a while. Seemed like one hell of a week, full of tutoring sessions held by Ryeowook would be necessary again, in order for him to de well. It was not like he was stupid, since he did manage to pass after all, but since he had always been busy with soccer practice and seemed to be continuously tired for a couple weeks already, his only refuge was the knowledge that he will be able to make up whatever he had been missing with the help of his best friend, who just happened to be a constant member of the top ten list of their whole school.

A cold shudder suddenly crept down Donghae’s back. He was being watched. Without knowing why he was sure about that fact. He knew that he was right. It was like something in the back of his mind was screaming danger. He had to get out of here.

Just as his brain had formed this thought he could hear the school bell ringing, signalling the end of the lecture. Jumping out of his seat and running as fast as he could, Donghae even managed to be the first one to leave the room. Without slowing down, he ran downstairs, out of the building and soon even left the school ground far behind him. But after about two minutes of full speed running, his sense suddenly started to kick in again. Why was he running in the first place? Because of a bad feeling he had during his lesson? He was probably just feeling the after effects from sleeping on his bathroom floor. He was getting a cold. That was the most reasonable explanation.

Suddenly feeling really stupid, Donghae just stood in the middle of the side walk, panting and asking himself just WHY he was spending his day mindlessly running around town. He was tired as it is and he should really keep all energy he could safe for soccer practice. Soccer practice. Oh, .

Starting to run again, this time in the direction he just came from, Donghae started mumbling all kinds of colourful cursed under his breath. There he goes: Running again. He just hoped that he would make it in time for practice. Since he hadn’t really been on top of his game lately his position as a starting player was already in danger as it was. Skipping practice was the last thing he should be doing.

But he hadn’t really come very far yet, when again; he got this odd feeling of being in danger. Before he even got the chance to react in any way, he already felt something hitting his stomach, knocking the air out of him and sending him flying against the next apartment building wall.

Having experienced so much pain from practice already, Donghae already kind of assumed that he was somewhat more resistant against pain than most people, but even with so much experience backing him up, he couldn’t help but lie on the ground, clasp his arms closer around his body and desperately try to force his body to take in some air. Everything around him seemed to be turning black in front of his eyes. The last things he could make out was the shape of something that remotely looked like some kind of over dimensionally big dog or wolf running towards him and from the corner of his eyes a shadow which could happen to belong to a very familiar person to Donghae, heading towards said dog. But before he could make sure of that or before he could find out who won this battle of speed, Donghae slipped away into the dark world of unconsciousness, for the second time in two days.

 

 

---------------------

Author’s note:

Here it is: The first chapter!!!! Wuhuuuu!!!!!!!

I am soooooooooo happy that I got to post this today. So if you happened to read this, please do me a favour and leave a comment below, telling me what you think of the story so far, ok? Please? It would realllllllllly mean a lot to me to get some kind of feedback so I know how I am doing^^.

As for the story: I have a feeling that this is the kind of story that has a rather slow kind of development and will not necessarily focus on romance all that much.