COUNT ON ME

SunSun Collection fics
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 This came late. Sorry.

Requested by: sicalove93

 

If you ever find yourself stuck in the middle of the sea,

I'll sail the world to find you

If you ever find yourself lost in the dark and you can't see,

I'll be the light to guide you

 

“Answer the d@mn phone, Sunny.” Sungmin hissed under his breath. Where could Sunny be? Anxious thoughts ran through Sungmin’s mind. He wanted to erase them all but he couldn’t. In the middle of the night she called up saying, “I need you, please.” What is there left to think? Sungmin hurriedly skidded his way to her flat just to find her...nowhere. NADA! “WHERE ON EARTH ARE YOU, SUNNY?”

Deliberately, he started searching for her wherever his feet would take him. It wasn’t as if he had many options left to choose from anyway. The lady he is seeking doesn’t even wander around that much. She just goes to school then go back home. It would be very rare to see her hanging around.

Left or right? He doesn’t even know what direction to use. It was a quarter after two. He could now be sleeping under the warmth of his cosy blanket but here he was, wandering off in the middle of the night looking for someone whom he doesn’t know where. Slowly, his temperament was heating. Not because she made him look for her for hours but because he’s worried sick thinking what could be happening to her at this very hour.

Please, don’t let anything happen to her. He prayed.

He was already tired but far from giving up. He can’t give up. Or he just won’t.

What could happen to a lady who’s wandering around in the dark? Considering she’s weak, she’s fragile, add the fact that she’s short? Then sorts of dark and undesirable scenarios flashed through his mind. No, that shouldn’t happen. Not to her. Sunny-yah, just where the heck are you? He mentally scolded her.

The sun was almost up when he got back into their village. But just as he was about to enter, he saw a familiar face innocently forty winking by his porch.

“Sunny ah...” Though drained from roaming around the city, he ran to her immediately. Sitting beside her, he took his time looking at her in this situation. I wonder how you look so peaceful when you’re asleep considering how impulsive and hyped up you act when awake. He chuckled at the thought. You have no idea how much it makes me crazy seeing your every reaction. When you smile, I smile bigger. When you frown, I sulk. When you’re happy, I celebrate, especially when I know I’m the reason for it. But when you’re mad, I can’t calm down and when you’re hurt, I feel like dying. What have you done to me, Sunny? All these emotions, you bring them out.

Sungmin decided to carry her to his room. It was normal for them already. Her staying on his room wasn’t quite an issue but him inside her room would definitely create a mayhem. Her parents don’t agree with the thought of them contained in the same room. Sungmin understands why and he respects their verdict. But he couldn’t let Sunny sleep on the couch nor outside. She’s safer here. He thought as he lay her down to the bed and tucked her undisturbed.

Luckily, it was a weekend. He can look after her for a while but he felt so sleepy and exhausted. After a day being awake, who wouldn’t? So Sungmin took a nap at the couch on the living room.

Where could she had been? Is something bothering her? A lot of questions, he wants a set of answers but just knowing she’s fine already makes him satisfied. Then he drifted off to catnap.

It was already past noontime when he felt someone nudge him to wake up.

Like a ninja that he is, his reflexes were fast. He bolted straight up, carefully eyeing who dared disturb his serene kip.

“Yah! Where the heck have you been?” He raised his tone at her, remembering what pace she put him into.

“I was waiting for you outside all night.” She reasoned out. “I called you so that I could come over but I guess you went somewhere...else.”

“WHAT? I was looking for you everywhere. I thought you wanted me to come over at your house and when I didn’t find you there, I...I thought you wandered off.” Though embarrassed, he admitted his mistake.

“For real?” Eyeing his every action, she investigates him. Knowing he couldn’t lie to her, she believes him but eventually decided to taunt him. “Eysh. I don’t believe you! How would I know you’re not just hanging out with....what is her name again?... Hyorin? Rather than looking for me?”

“What? How is she even inserted on this conversation?” Disbelief was clearly written on his face. It was fun for her to watch this.

“I saw you looking at her when we passed by her homeroom.” Taunting him just a little more. “Do you like her?”

“Putting me under the spotlight of the hot seat doesn’t make me forget what you did. Heck, Sunny. It was in the middle of the night and you made me look for you nowhere in particular.” Not that he was complaining.

“I didn’t tell you to look for me, did I?”

“Couldn’t you just be grateful?” Nervously, he wanted the subject to drop, afraid she might see through him.

She heaved a sigh and sat beside him. “I’m sorry for making you worried.” To which he nodded as a reply. But they couldn’t be awkward and all mushy towards each other, can they? They’re the best of friends after all. “So you were indeed worried? Eyyyyyyyy. I thought I was annoying? Why would you worry about someone who’s ‘bugging you to death’.” Emphasizing the quote he uses often enough.

“You’re indeed annoying. But the fact that I was the one you called last night makes me responsible for whatever is going to happen to you. And you’re still annoying!” He taunted as he ruffles her hair. Shocked but definitely not afraid to avenge, she tackles him. As a result, they fell on the ground. How many times have they been this carefree when they’re together? Countless.

For years, this has been their set-up. And he keeps on wondering, when can they take this into something more special? But never will he take advantage of the situation. He knows Sunny and her current boyfriend are on the rocks but, as he promised, he’ll be there for her, as her friend.

As soon as their laughter subsided, they tried to compose themselves until only giggles were heard. He was about to stand up when he felt her grab his hand.

“But seriously though, Sungmin. The fact that you sought for me the whole night without hesitation makes me feel....very....s....special.”  Don’t look at me straight in the eye, I beg of you, Sunny. I do not know what I’ll do when I’d be casted on the spell of your hypnotic eyes. He thought. With a sincere smile, she said “Thank you, Sungmin. You’re the best friend I’ll ever have.”

Best friend. Xiyeah, right.

For Sunny, I’m the best.

But only as a friend.

And that’s what I’ll ever be.

 

Comprehending what to say next, he thought carefully.

“You know you can always count on me, Sunny. Remember that.”

“I also want you to know, you can count on me as well, Sungmin.”

“Yeah. ‘cause that’s what friends are supposed to do.” How hurtful it was for him to say that. To say exactly just that. Mental breakdown for him.

On the other hand, Sunny seemed the same. She was sad for him. He’s always there whenever she needs him. No complaints nor hesitations. He’ll come down to her running in an instant. How much she wishes she could do the same. But Sungmin keeps everything in. He doesn’t share much about himself. It makes Sunny feel like a bad friend. She feels useless and burdensome.

 

If you toss and you turn and you just can't fall asleep

I'll sing a song beside you

 

He heard his phone ringing.

“What’s up, Sunny? Can’t sleep?” Lucky guess, Sungmin. Indeed she was.

After hearing directly from Seohyun that she had seen Taecyeon with Yoona, Sunny felt devastated. Though no confirmations have been made yet, it made her intuitions a lot stronger. But the saddest part is, Yoona is her friend. How could has she done that? She felt betrayed. Never had she seen that one coming.

“Yeah.” Was all she could reply to him. She doesn’t want to add another worry to Sungmin. She’s sure, he cares.

“So what do you want to do? There’s nothing much we can talk about.” There are a lot, actually. But just to be sure my tongue won’t slip. He thought.

“Why don’t you sing a song for me, Sungmin?” Her request shocked him, big time. “You always sing at school events but never for me.” She reasoned out while he chuckles. They’re all for you, silly. You’re just too dense to figure it all out.

“I’ll dedicate the song for you next time.” He promised her.

“Yah, wouldn’t that be all the same with the other performances? I thought I’m your best friend. My case should be different from the rest.” Demanding she was, alright. But who could blame her? It was a sincere request coming from the timid h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter