Of fated and not so fated encounters

Ahn Jaehyo - Matchmaker

Chapter 3

 

“Look, I’m really, really sorry.

 

“If you were so sorry, you wouldn’t have been late in the first place.” Yukwon’s girlfriend, Suzy crossed her arms angrily.

 

Yukwon let out a deep sigh before deciding it was time to use his ultimate weapon. Aegyo.

 

“Sooji-ah, Yukwonnie oppa is really sorry. Now please open the door.”

 

Suzy, because Yukwon’s aegyo still worked (or because she was tired of speaking through the intercom), reluctantly opened the door and welcomed her boyfriend with a hug.

 

“And how comes you’re so late?” she asked as she was guiding him to her room, carefully avoiding the dining room where her parents currently were.

 

“Oh, I was just dancing with Minhyuk and I didn’t see the time fly by.” Yukwon grinned cheekily.

 

What he didn’t see was how Suzy’s expression instantly grew darker when he mentioned his friend.

 

“Uh-huh. Again.” She mumbled gloomily under her breath, just loud enough for Yukwon to hear that she had said something.

 

“What did you say, honey?”

 

“Nothing. You want anything to drink?” Suzy asked as she turned around with a sweet smile, her bitterness gone far away.

 

*

 

Kyung was comfortably sprawled over the couch in his sister’s apartment’s microscopic living room. He was exhausted, even though he didn’t even start his work yet. He decided to call his friends about the news. Fishing his cell phone from his back pocket, he quickly dialled Taeil’s number. As soon as the latter picked up his phone, he added Jaehyo to the conversation before happily bursting out:

 

“I have a joooob~!!”

 

“Really? Oh Kyung, that’s great! And on the first day, too. I always knew you could do it!” his ever supportive friend Taeil cheered. A proud smile spread on Kyung’s face. Before Jaehyo had to ruin the moment again.

 

“But just now when we were walking home you said-“

 

““Shut up, Jaehyo!”” he was cut off by his two friends. One who didn’t want to seem mean and the other one who wanted to keep at least an ounce of his pride.

 

“Anyways, you’ll never guess who else is working there~”

 

“Jung Joon Young?”

 

“That Jung Joon Young stealer Roy Kim?”

 

“Kim Hyuna?”

 

“Oh! Oh! I know. Barack Obama.”

 

“No. No, no. And hell, Jae, how do you come from Kim Hyuna to Barack Obama? You’re so weird.”

 

“Then who is it?” Taeil wanted to know.

 

“Oh. I know! This time I really know!” Jaehyo shouted and once he was sure everyone was listening to him, continued. “That new kid, Woo Jiho.”

 

“Do you wanna die? If I had seen him in the shop I would’ve run out before there could’ve been as much as eye contact.”

 

“Seriously, Kyungie, what’s with the hate?” Jaehyo whined. “He’s cute.”

 

“Cute? Cute? Are we looking at the same person? And may I remind you that I almost ended my life because of him?”

 

“So what? Can’t be mad at him for trying to do a good deed.” Jaehyo chuckled. But then he heard a long beep on the other end of the phone.

 

“You just excluded him from the conversation, didn’t you?” Taeil asked warily.

 

“Damn yeah. And now I’m blacklisting his number.” Kyung grumbled angrily.

 

“Seriously, you’re such a child…” Taeil sighed.

 

“Me? I am a child? Did you just hear the same sentence as me?”

 

“Yeah, yeah, whatever. So, who is this mysterious mini-market employee?”

 

“Oh yeah, right. It is…Lee Minhyuk!”

 

“Our Lee Minhyuk?” Taeil asked excitedly.

 

“No, not our Lee Minhyuk. Another Lee Minhyuk. But I wouldn’t mind if he was ours, he’s pretty hot.” Kyung chucked.

 

“Really? You lucky bastard. A job on the first day, and on top of that you’ve got something nice to see. You’re practically paid to get an eyeful.”

 

“Yeah, but he’s not exactly my type. So I thought that, maybe, you want to spend your best friend a visit on his new workplace tomorrow?”

 

“Oh. I see.” Taeil grinned. “You know, I was against you or Jae setting me up with anyone, but maybe I should give it a chance…”

 

*

 

The next morning an extremely tired looking Yukwon was walking down the street to school when he recognized a familiar figure walking just a few steps ahead of him.

 

“Minhyukie!” he called out happily, suddenly not feeling tired at all anymore. Not losing a second, he sprinted towards his friend and jumped on his back.

 

“Good morning~ slept well?” he chirped again, pressing a kiss on Minhyuk’s now messy hair.

 

“Hey you crazy ball of fluff.” Minhyuk greeted back grinning like a madman. After struggling a bit, he stabilized himself and resumed his walk, now carrying said “ball of fluff” on his back.

 

“Hey, let me down! I don’t want to have your back on the conscience.” Yukwon laughed, but his friend shook his head.

 

“It’s okay, you’re less heavier than you look.”

 

“Hey!”

 

“That’s for leaving me all alone yesterday. Do you know how sad I was, walking home all alone. It was scary, too.” Minhyuk whined.

 

“Yeah yeah, whatever, princess.”

 

“How did it go? She didn’t dump you, didn’t she?” Minhyuk asked with a small hint of hope he knew shouldn’t be there. He was Yukwon’s friend before anything, so he should only be wishing the best for him, but here he was, being selfish all over again.

 

“Minhyuk. Did you ever see someone able to resist my aegyo?”

 

*

 

Today, he was getting Kyung to talk to him again. At least, that’s what Jiho had planned. However…

 

“Hey Kyung. How are you?”

 

“Stay as for away from me as possible and I’d be the happiest person around.”

 

-

 

“Hey Kyung. I didn’t really understand this problem. Can you help me?”

 

“Woo Jiho. I really don’t understand why you don’t jump out of a window. Can you demonstrate that for me?”

 

-

 

“Kyung, I really want to talk to you. Can’t you at least just listen to me?”

 

“Teacher, Jiho says he’s not feeling well. Maybe Hwayoung should take him to the nurse.

 

-

 

Well, at least he talked to him. Kind of.

He had spent the whole day being either rejected, ignored or hit by Kyung, who at one point had lost his temper and begun beating him up with his English textbook (“Shut the up! I don’t want to talk to you! Leave me alone or the almighty Kyungstar will kick your !”).

 

It was the last class of the day and Jiho was already mentally resigning when their chemistry teacher decided it was time for another home project. And because choosing their partners themselves would be too much fun for the students, they had to draw papers from a weird old red fedora with a pink feather on it. Jiho really didn’t want to where their male, middle-aged teacher got that hat. But now he had to focus. He quietly sneaked up behind Kyung when it was his turn and peaked at his number. 6. Now all he had to do was to find the second no. 6 before Kyung did. He rushed around the classroom, forcefully or not looking at everyone’s number. He was in such a hurry that he almost passed by the person he was looking for. He glanced at him and quickly searched his brain for his name.

 

“Uh, Jongdae?”

 

“You can call me Chen.”

 

“Okay, Chen. Uhm, listen. Do you think there’s a way we could exchange numbers?”

 

“Depends. What have you got?”

 

Jiho quickly showed Chen the scrupled piece of paper.

 

“Number 12. That’d be Kim Minseok. God, I really don’t think I can work with him. He’s so uptight and neat”

 

“I’ll give you ten bucks.”

 

“Make it fifteen and we have a deal.”

 

Jiho quickly gave Jongdae the money and they exchanged numbers. Just then Kyung passed by.

 

“Hey Kyung. Looks like you’ll have to put up with me now. Don’t worry, I’m good in chemistry.”

 

Kyung only looked at him weirdly before replying:

 

‘I have no idea what you’re talking about. I already have my project partner if that’s what you mean.” And with that he walked away, a guy named Nicholas or whatever by his side.

 

Jiho looked at his paper again, confused.

 

“Number…9. .” He read out loud and swore.

 

*

 

Minhyuk and Yukwon walked out of the school, happily chatting and playfully hitting each other like the two lovebirds they were not. But the younger of the two suddenly stopped in his tracks when he caught a glimpse of the small female waiting for him in front of the school.

 

“Oh. Sooji-ah!” he waved frantically, suddenly ignoring his friend who started to sulk.

 

Upon seeing her boyfriend waving at her, Suzy ran the few meters to him and smiled widely. However, her expression stiffened when she took notice of Minhyuk who was (purposely) standing so close to Yukwon that it looked as if they were glued together.

 

“Hello Minhyuk-ssi. You look even more handsome than last time I saw you.”

 

Even though it would sound like a compliment to every bystander, to Minhyuk her words sounded like he had just committed one of the biggest crimes he was humanly capable to commit. Which he probably did, in Suzy’s eyes.

 

“Seriously Sooji. You can’t flirt in front in my eyes, no matter how stunningly handsome the guy is.” Yukwon fake-whined.

 

“So you think he’s handsome?”

 

“What?”

 

“Whatever. I’m hungry buy me something to eat.” Suzy said while grabbing Yukwon’s hand.

 

“But I…” Yukwon quickly glanced at his sports bag, that was hanging on his side. Then he looked at Suzy’s pleading eyes.

 

“Fine. Let’s go.” He said, a slight bitter tone to his voice.

 

Suzy just beamed at him and dragged him away by the arm. But not before sending Minhyuk a death glare that the latter didn’t miss.

 

*

 

“And why do I have to come with you again?” Jihoon muttered as he was being dragged around by a certain brunette.

 

“I don’t want to get lost.” Was the simple explanation he got from Jiho.

 

“You’re a deliverer for Fast Chicken. How the hell can you get lost in Seoul?” when he didn’t get a response, he went on with his rant. “And how the hell did you know he’s working there?”

 

“Ever heard of the internet, my friend?” Jiho smirked.

 

“That tiny freaking mini-market has a homepage which lists the employees?” Jihoon asked incredulously.

 

“Nope. But it has a Facebook page which is only liked by the employees and the employer himself of course.”

 

“Ah.” Jihoon nodded as both of them were still walking down the streets of Seoul.

 

*

 

“So this is where I’ll be working my way to independence.” Kyung said, what could have a really strong and nice phrase without any enthusiasm. Instead, he had a gloomy look on his face.

 

“Come on Kyung. Are you still mad that I dragged Jaehyo along?” Taeil asked, feeling a bit guilty.

 

“You know that I don’t want to talk to him. And I don’t want to see his face. He could transform into a cucumber for all I care!” Kyung said angrily while closing his locker once he was finished changing.

 

“You know, I’m right here and I can hear everything you say…” Jaehyo muttered.

 

“Taeil. Tell Jaehyo that I am not acknowledging him. He is like deceased for me.”

 

“Fine. Fine, if it’s that what he wants , then Taeil, you can tell Kyung that-“

 

“Oh hell no! I am not playing the human translator between you two again. We’ve had this argument often enough!” Taeil pestered. “Just make up already, you’re being ridiculous.”

 

“I’m ready to forgive you if you’re ready to forgive me.” Jaehyo proposed.

 

But Park Kyung wouldn’t be Park Kyung if he didn’t have his word to say.

 

“Wait wait wait. What should you forgive me for?”

 

“Just. Accept.” Taeil hissed through gritted teeth before anyone could respond.

 

“Okay. Let’s talk again.” Kyung extended his hand for Jaehyo, who took it, not without adding “But we’ve never technically stopped talking.”

 

And before anything could happen again, the brave and mature (and only normal one) Taeil grabbed both of them and dragged them in the store.

 

“Soooo, Kyung. Now who’s this hot guy you were talking about?”

 

“Hoy guy?” Jaehyo’s curiosity was suddenly picked.

 

“Yeah, that mysterious employee. Apparently he’s super hot, but not Kyung’s type. So we’re seeing if maybe he’s something for me.”

 

“Ah, I see. Wait. Do you know if he’s gay?” he asked Kyung who waved if off, looking in all directions in search for his co-worker. “Ah, the details. Who cares.”

 

“Well, it-“

 

“Ah there he is!”

 

“”Where?””

 

The three friends hid behind a shelf carrying tomato sauce and other similar food.

 

“Damn! If he’s not your type, then what is? Ken?” Jaehyo asked horrified. “He is beyond hot.

 

“I just have high standards.”

 

“Obviously…” Jaehyo muttered again, before gasping. He begun tugging on Kyung’s sleeve. “Hey, Kyung. Look, there’s Jiho.”

 

“If you want me to be mad at you again, then you’re doing it right.” Kyung hissed.

 

“Uh, but he’s right.” Taeil stated warily.

 

Kyung looked out of the window façade, already pissed and true enough, there was Woo Jiho (and another boy he didn’t know and didn’t care about) slowly but surely approaching the store.

 

“Who know…” Taeil tried to stay optimistic “Maybe he won’t come in. Maybe he’ll just pass-“

 

Ding Dong (song of the doorbell ringing because, yes, it should be automatized doors but they don’t ring, so…)

 

“..by. Guess not.”

 

The three friends didn’t move an inch from their hiding position behind the shelf, from where they had an excellent view of Minhyuk and now the two newcomers who were coming closer and closer…to Minhyuk. Until they stopped just in front of him. From where they were hiding, they didn’t hear a word that was exchanged. They did, however see Jiho and Minhyuk tightly hugging after a few moments of surprised and pleased gasping from Minhyuk’s side.

 

“Let’s move to that shelf. We’ll hear what they’re talking about from there.” Kyung instructed, pointing at a shelf not far away, this time containing diapers, baby shampoo and other baby products.

 

“But I thought you didn’t care about him. Or better, you want to stay as far away from him as pos-“

 

Move.” Kyung just hissed darkly before sprinting behind the shelf, his two friends following closely.

 

Once in their positions, they could effectively hear the conversation. Or rather, Jiho’s monologue.

 

“…noticed I just can’t love without…need…again in my life. That’s why I came back…in the past…so I thought….”

 

“Damn, they’re still too far!” Kyung, who long ago had thrown aside his pride now, decided to get even closer by crawling under the tables where the fruit and vegetable “Super Eco Offers” were exposed. For a reason unknown to even himself, Kyung’s heart was beating strangely fast.

 

“..so aim higher this time. Minhyukie, let’s make an album together.”

 

What?” Kyung hissed, before crawling back to where his friends were.

 

“So?” Jaehyo asked.

 

“Nothing ‘so’. Their conversation is just boring…”

 

“I see…by the way, I think we’ve lost Taeil.”

 

“Huh?” Kyung looked over at his hyung, and indeed there he was, staring in owe and like in trance at Minhyuk. No. It was the guy across from him. Jiho’s friend.

 

Oh that was just so great again.

 

*~*

 

Ta~dah! May I proudly present you chapter three :3

 

Sorry if there are any errors, I am currently not using my laptop but a German one, and the keyboard is completely different. On top of that I don’t have a spell check on this one. So if you find any mistakes, let me know.

 

On another hand, Suzy has won the poll in the end. At first it seemed like JSH would win, but when I last checked, Suzy had one more vote^^

 

Also, I just saw that I reached over 60 subs… o___o

 

Thank you so muc, everyone! Didn’t see that coming…and thank you for all your comments. Even if I don’t reply to every single one, I do read them all and each one makes me happy and motivates me, so really, really thank you!

 

And as you can see, Kyung is PMSing and arguing with everyone in this chapter. Lol, sorry Kyungie…it’s for the strory’s sake :P

 

Thanks for reading & subbing & commenting!

See you soon, sweetie pies :D

 

PS: Pwahah, have I trolled you? The reason Jiho came back to Korea was because he wanted to make a rap album with his long-time friend Minhyuk, whom he made music with before he moved to Japan. kekeke