Her memory..

ⓢⓜⓘⓛⓘⓕⓔ ⓡⓔⓥⓘⓔⓦⓢ + ⓜⓘⓝⓘ ⓢⓗⓞⓣⓢ

The wind whistled through the crisp, golden leaves; an inevitable sign that winter was approaching. As Jaejoong glanced in admiration at the symmetrical houses embracing uniformity, he became reminscent of Gongju, the village where he spent his last days with his childhood friend; Kim Taeyeon - whom death had seized far too early.

Clasping his hands firmly together, Jaejoong attempted to generate warmth. He could almost hear the soft whispering of Taeyeon, as she reminded him for the umpteenth time how important gloves were in these colder conditions, and could almost feel the tender warmth of her hands as she embraced his.

The sheer innocence of these memories brought tears to Jaejoong's eyes; how could something this pure, this delicate, be overseen? He could remember that fateful day as if it were yesterday; the day where his world collapsed, and his precious friend, Kim Taeyeon, was no more than a meer memory. The day where Jaejoong realised worldy things held no value, and that the only thing that could provide him any comfort from now on, would be the grave where his memorable friend was now at rest.

FLASHBACK

Jaejoong rubbed his eyes in exhaustion, awakening from his peaceful slumber due to the continous chiming of his mobile. Opening up the text message, Jaejoong felt his heart clench at the response to his query of Taeyeon's whereabouts.

"Jaejoong...Taeyeon is no longer with us...
She left this world 4/11/07
I tried to get in contact but I couldn't get through...
Meet me 7AM at Maksong Cemetery.
Our friend rests there."

Jaejoong remembered his heavy panting as he paced towards Maksong cemetery; he was surely a fool. Is this what his ambitions had transformed him into? A heartless, self-centered jerk? Someone who didn't even enquire about his friends for several years unless a business opportunity arose? He was disgusted with himself, and as he arrived in Maksong cemetery and saw the tear stricken face of his friend, he felt ashamed, deeply ashamed, for what he had done.

"Jaejoong-ah..." The voice greeted him, he walked towards his friend and enveloped her in a warm embrace, and for a while, they stood there, crying over the loss of their friend.

When they had finally parted, she led him towards a grave, which, without reading any of the engravings, Jaejoong knew was Taeyeon's.
Hopelessly, he glanced at the arch-shaped grave and knelt down in submission. He read the engravings carefully, in hope not to miss anything.

"Here lies Kim Taeyeon,
Born with sight, but rests here blind,
Her tragic loss brings sorrow to all,
But also happiness, as it reminds us,
NEVER TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED.'
"Kim Taeyeon
1989-03-09 - 2007-04-11
May God Bless Your Soul."

Jaejoong sat there, shedding tears for the loss of his friend, he remembered their first meeting, how Taeyeon comforted him after his goldfish - Sid - died, he remembered the daisy chains they crafted as children, but most of all....He remembered their last meeting...How Kim Taeyeon rejected his confession, and how he was too embarrassed to ask her to send him off at the airport, when he was leaving for America.

/END OF FLASHBACK/

Jaejoong arose from the bench he was sitting on and walked towards a reminscient willow tree in the far corner of the park. He sat directly underneath the tree, another memory emerging from his mind...

/FLASHBACK/

He gulped. Clearly anxious.

Today...was the day...Today Kim Jaejoong would confess his love for Kim Taeyeon...He could almost imagine the predictable scenes that lay ahead, as Taeyeon embraced him in a sweet hug and they travelled together to fairyland...

"Jaejoong oppa? You called?" SNAP. Jaejoong awoke from his imagination and descended back intor reality.

"Taeyeon-ah...Listen I have something important to tell you..." He announced, with fake confidence.

Taeyeon nodded, as a sign that she understood, which was an alternative for the blind.

"We've been friends for a long time, right...and erm...I was wondering-" Jaejoong coughed as his throat became exceedingly dry.

"-was wondering that..." Jaejoong bit his lip in frustration with himself.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?" He blurted out, surprised with himself that he managed to get the words out.

He stared at Taeyeon; her emotionless face impossible to comprehend.

They stood in silence for a lengthy amount of time, neither party knowing what to say.

"I already have someone that I like...I'm sorry Jaejoong." Taeyeon finally announced, still no clear emotion conveyed through her facial expressions, or voice.

"Oh..." Jaejoong replied in disappointment. "Oh that's fine...Erm...Well...I should be going now...Do you want me to take you to your house?" He asked her politely, however Taeyeon knew how desperate he was to be away from her..."Besides," she thought, "I can memorise the way to my house without vision..."
"No thank you." Taeyeon replied, her tone far too formal.

And Jaejoong left, tear stricken, his heart pounding, completely oblivious that Taeyeon was sitting underneath that very same willow tree; crying to her heart's extent.

/END OF FLASHBACK/

"Jaejoong oppa!" a voice screamed, Jaejoong turned around swiftly, brushing away his tears. "Saerim-ah...What are you doing here?" He asked curiously.

"Yesterday," Saerim began, "I was clearing out my things; you see, I'm getting married Jaejoong oppa!" 

"Congratulations!" He told her, a wide smile plastered on his face. 

"Well...I was clearing out my things and I came across the letter that Taeyeon wrote for you...She told me to give it to you after her death..."

Jaejoong's heart clenched; she had remembered him.

"But I couldn't get in contact with you, especially since you had changed your cell number after transferring to America."

"Where is it." Jaejoong demanded impatiently.

Slowly, Saerim extracted a bulky brown envelope from her handbag and handed it to him.

"Your'll be the first to open it, Jaejoong...I promise I didn't touch it." She said earnestly.

Saerim looked carefully at Jaejoong, noticing his amazement as he traced his index finger around the sides of the envelope flap. "Taeyeon remembered me." Jaejoong thought, "She cared."

Noticing Jaejoong would prefer time alone, Saerim embraced Jaejoong and planted a friendly kiss on his forehead. He smiled at her gratefully, "You know I love you the most, right?" He told her, as she nodded and then disappeared towards the streets.

Jaejoong sat down back to his original position, directly under the willow tree and gentely tore the envelope flap. A bulky letter was inside the envelope, and as Jaejoong opened it, his heart leapt - Taeyeon's handwriting.

"Dear Jaejoong," The letter began,
"By the time you read this, I'll be long gone...
I contacted a disease alongside my disability,
I can't even pronounce it....Let alone spell it..
But it causes the bones to become feeble...weak...useless...
Jaejoong...Do you think I am useless?

I'm sorry for being this kind of person...
Always relying on you...Always burdening you...
Jaejoong...Now I'm dead....I hope you feel relieved...
And I'm sorry for everything Jae....I really am...
That day when we were playing as children....
Trying to play hide and seek....
That time was the first time I realised...
I'm really a burden...

Jaejoong...
That day where you asked me underneath the willow tree...
If I would be your girlfriend...
And I replied "No." Do you know how much I cried after that?
Trying to contain my love for you...It was the hardest struggle of my life...
As time goes by...I hope you realise that my deepest wish was to be with you...
As time goes by...I hope you realise that I love you....and only you...
Jaejoong...I'm sorry for lying and hurting you..
I could feel your sorrow...even if I couldn't see your tears..

I hope your happy now....You probably have a pretty wife...and cute children!
Say hello to them for me, ok?
Jaejoong...I've done something very selfish...
But just in case....IF you are not married...
Then dig a hole underneath that Willow Tree...
I've buried something there...

Jaejoong...Please don't cry for me anymore..
There is no point of tears, right?
One day we will see each other..
I'm waiting for that day...As in heaven...One doesn't have illness, old age or disability...

Jaejoong...If I've ever hurt you then forgive me...alright?
I've often thought about you...
By listening to your voice I painted an image in my mind...
A very handsome, moderately tall man...
With one of the kindest hearts ever...

Jaejoong oppa...Thank you for taking care of me in this world...
And I promise, that in the next world, I will take care of you

Saranghae.
Kim Taeyeon.

Jaejoong sat in silence; tears racing down his face.

He could feel his heart pounding with guilt; he hadn't been present for her funeral. 

He felt disgusted with himself, sickened by the meer thought that she, a naive, gentle woman, had trusted him.

At the same time, he felt cherished - had Taeyeon really loved him too? Was his love not unrequited after all? Jaejoong leapt up with sudden excitement and folded the letter back into the envelope; he was going to check underneath the Willow Tree.

As he brushed the soil aggressively, a distinctive shape was being formeed in the earth. Digging more viciously, he finally uncovered the top of the item - a small, square box. He retrieved the box, as it's rightful owner, from the soil and opened it cautiously - his heart drumming.

Inside, a small note attached to a silver engagement ring. It read:

"If you do not have anyone at the moment, and you still feel the same way about me...Jaejoong oppa will you wear it?
In this world we can be engaged...And if my love for you is requited, then in the next world let's get married."


His heart leaped with content, and then sunk with sudden discovery. If he, Jaejoong, were to marry Taeyeon in the next life...then if he died quicker...wouldn't he be reunited with his childhood lover? Wouldn't they be happy again?

With sudden realisation, Jaejoong paced towards the nearest block of 40 flats and climbed the stairwell, as if his life depended on it. Soon enough, he stood on the concrete roof, steps away from death.

"A bit closer..." He thought, "Just a bit closer..." Jaejoong shuffled his feet towards the end of the building...all he had to do now, was to jump.

The cold autumn air whipped harshly around his raw face; the temperature decreasing expotentially. Jaejoong gaped, his memorising eyes widening by the second.

There.

Stood.

Taeyeon.

The beautiful, young woman smiled at him sympathetically, Jaejoong longed to touch her, to hold her, once again. Suddenly, she stared at Jaejoong with dismay, a clear frown appearing on her face.

"I don't want to marry a coward." She whispered, her breath leaving mist in mid-air. "If I, a blind girl, could pass through the obstacles of life; then Jaejoong...I want you to be able to withstand this life."

"The gates of heaven are opened for those who deserve it, those who perservere in the dark shadows of life."

"I'll always be watching you Jaejoong...Even when you are alone, I can read your thoughts. Don't let me down."

"Ww-wait..." Jaejoong mumbled incoherently, as the ghost of Taeyeon faded away.

"DON''T GO!" He shrieked attempting to call her back. "She left me again..." Jaejoong mumbled, "TAEYEON-AH DON'T LEAVE ME AGAIN!"

But suddenly, the inspiration of Taeyeon's ghost evolved the content of Jaejoong's heart. He felt warmth, he felt the familiar feeling of being loved. He felt happiness, he finally felt the feeling of perservance and with one last glance at the cold concrete were Taeyeon stood standing, seconds ago, he felt determined.

Determined to live up to Taeyeon's expectations and make her proud. He turned around hopefully, and walked towards the entrance that led him back downstairs. Completely unaware, that the memory of Taeyeon had returned, glancing at his back, one last time; with a smile of satisification painted on her lips.

"He really is handsome..." She thought, "Handsomer than I had imagined..."

The End.

A/N : I'm sorry, my ending kinda lol. It was kinda sad? Kinda? Uhhmmm yeah...Maybe not lol xD Hope u enjoyed it, if not I'll do it again.