Daehyun & Youngjae

Rule and Exception

 

They had met in college. They were around the same age, only separated by a few months, so naturally they were in the same grade as well. Daehyun was a psychology major, while Youngjae was studying communications, and neither of them would have met each other if it weren’t for an honest mistake.

 

 They were both waiting for their orders of coffee to be put on the side counter, when Daehyun picked up the wrong one and began to drink it. Youngjae almost pummeled him, but the older of the two quickly offered to rebuy his drink for him. They talked for a while and Daehyun smoothly asked Youngjae for his phone number. They texted for a few weeks and then eventually went on a date and soon enough they were inseparable.

 

Seven years later and they were living together in a large apartment, Daehyun the owner of his own catering business while Youngjae worked at a wedding planning company. They were blissfully happy, as much as two workingmen could be.

 

Except for one teensy little problem. Daehyun didn’t believe in marriage.   

 

The topic of the two of them getting married had come up when they first started working full time. Youngjae had landed his dream job at an elite wedding planning company and wanted to use his experience in the industry to plan himself a spectacular wedding where he and his groom, presumably Daehyun, would be dazzling. Everything would be perfect, down to the centerpieces of the table. He had color schemes and outfits all planned out to the t, until Daehyun promptly shut him down.

 

He didn’t believe in marriage because if two people love each other enough to want to be with each other for a lifetime, they should just do it. They shouldn’t have to make a mark out of it and go through an extravagant and expensive ceremony. Youngjae had never told Daehyun about his dreams for a wedding, but he was so in love with the other that he had let his dreams go to the back of his head where he locked them away for a later time, hoping that he would change his mind. 

 

The topic had never been discussed since then. Youngjae hadn’t even thought about marriage again until his brother, Youngjin, called him at work. Youngjin and Youngjae were 8 years apart, so they weren’t exactly close, plus his brother was a successful businessman that practically rolled around in money.

 

“Hyung? What’s so important that you’re calling me at work?”

 

“Youngjae-ah, I’m getting married. To the girl I introduced you to when we were both home for Christmas.” How could he forget, the girl was a rich socialite that wore designer clothing and spoke in a high voice, coincidentally the daughter of his boss as well… Han Sunhwa was her name, he suddenly remembered.

 

“Oh? Congratulations! I had no idea you were thinking of marrying.”

 

“Well we both decided it was about time to, and her father was more than happy to help finance the wedding. But I’m calling you because I wanted to know if you could plan the wedding.”

 

“Me? I would love to! But would Sunhwa noona mind? I don’t know her so well…”

 

“She was the one that wanted you in the first place. Don’t worry about money, just help her as much as you can with everything.”

 

“Of course hyung. I’ll make it perfect for both of you.”

 

They both talked for a few more minutes, Youngjin talking on and on about his successes in his past few business acquisitions before bothering to ask Youngjae how he (and Daehyun for that matter) were doing. Youngjae answered with a “fine” and “the same as usual” and was glad Youngjin had something important to do because he was about done with that conversation.

 

It wasn’t that Youngjae didn’t like his older brother, but he had the tendency to brag and center conversations on himself. It was tiresome to deal with, especially during family gatherings because the two brothers were compared endlessly. His thoughts were interrupted by a phone call to his cell, which he discreetly picked up. Sunhwa soon started to shriek into his ear about how excited she was and what flower bouquets and color schemes and things she wanted and Youngjae began the meticulous planning and arranging process, being worn thin with more family interaction than he was comfortable with.

 

At least this all would be over with in a few months.

 

--

 

It was a week until the wedding and on top of being in charge of everything from peonies to placemats Youngjae was named Youngjin’s best man, which meant he had to plan a stinking bachelor party too. It was a good thing Daehyun knew a thing or two about what was supposed to go on at bachelor parties, because he would have been screwed. They both survived a strip club, with Youngjae shielding his eyes from all the bootylicious dancers and Daehyun laughing at his boyfriend’s expressions to every little thing that happened. 

 

And then there was the rehearsal dinner, which went smoothly as well. A speech from the brides’ father left nearly everyone in tears except for Daehyun, who seemed to want to leave the entire time. The only reason he was even behaving was because Youngjae had promised him a and more, pending good behavior. There was minimal dancing and awkward conversation with relatives, but finally the two went home. With only two days left until the wedding, there was a lot to do still, but the happy couple was busy memorizing each other’s figures under the sheets.

 

The day of the wedding came quickly and Youngjae was up at the break of dawn, making sure everything was in place for the happy couple. He made sure everyone had their dresses and tuxes and everyone was in their places before taking his spot next to the groom, smiling out to Daehyun who was sitting with the groom’s party, next to Youngjae’s mother. They seemed to be talking about something interesting, but with Daehyun, there was never a boring conversation.

 

In fact, Youngjae’s parents both adored Daehyun. They had known Youngjae was gay since he was seven years old when he went on and on about a boy that was super cute. Every week there was a new boy, and Youngjae never was a quiet one when it came to people he liked.

 

But Daehyun was the first person Youngjae brought home to introduce to his parents and that meant that they two of them were serious. Plus, Daehyun was intelligent and respectful, and he had quite an appetite, so Youngjae’s mother loved cooking for him.

 

Youngjae’s attention snapped back to his surroundings when the wedding song began to play and a wide smile spread across his face when he saw the procession. Sunhwa was gorgeous, and Youngjin was smiling wider than Youngjae had ever seen him smile before. A tinge of jealousy came from the pit of Youngjae’s stomach and he was envious of the happy couple.

 

The ceremony completed and the reception was soon to begin, which meant Youngjae had to get his best man speech ready, plus make sure the food, band, and decorations were all perfect. When Youngjae planned weddings, he did it damn well, because he refused to be anything less than perfect as far as his job was concerned.

 

He was constantly moving, only stopping when a concerned boyfriend pulled him aside and told him that people were beginning to worry if something was wrong.

 

“I just want everything to be perfect…” Youngjae’s hands clasped together at his waist and a frown decorated his lips.

 

“And it is. Just look at everyone! They’re all happy. That’s all that matters.” Daehyun motioned to the various tables, all showing people smiling over food.

 

“But the ribbons I ordered turned out to be the wrong color and – “ Daehyun interrupted Youngjae with a kiss, pulling back after a few seconds to make sure that Youngjae was still alive.

 

“And it’s all fine because no one could tell the difference anyways. Now let’s go back out there and you can give your speech.” Daehyun cupped the other’s cheeks and pecked his lips once more, taking his hand to go back to the reception area.

 

“I love you.” Youngjae’s cheeks flushed a light pink and he leaned his head on his boyfriend’s shoulder, sighing as a load of stress lifted off of his shoulders.

 

And it seemed to be fate that the bouquet was flying at the pair of them. Youngjae raised his hand up and caught the bundle of flowers, eyes widening as he looked around the room and saw that everyone was staring at him with an odd smile. Daehyun looked exceptionally uncomfortable, but he was plastering on a smile and clapped his hands slowly.

 

“Jaejae, looks like you’re the next one to get married here!” Sunhwa rushed over to the two of them, pinching Youngjae’s tomato red cheeks before giving Daehyun a knowing smile. “I’m sure I’ll see you walking down the aisle soon enough... right? No pressure though!”

 

Daehyun adjusted his collar and excused himself while Youngjae looked down at the bouquet, walking past a chair and dropping it onto the seat before rushing to go over his speech again. The rest of the wedding progressed smoothly, with Daehyun sneaking back in again right when Youngjae was about to give his falsely sentimental speech about how much in love were Youngjin and Sunhwa and how great their lives would be together, this being just the first step in their lives together.

 

But why did Daehyun look so uncomfortable?

 

--

 

As they undressed in the comfort of their apartment, Youngjae needed to know. What was the point of being together for seven years if they weren’t going to tie the knot? They both were dodging questions left and right about when they were going to be on the altar, and Youngjae just smiled and shrugged, saying that they were taking their time. But wasn’t seven years long enough?

 

“Daehyunnie… Are we ever going to get married?” Youngjae pulled his tie off of his neck, tossing it to the side.

 

“You know how I feel about marriage.” Daehyun looked over at his boyfriend who seemed to be treading lightly on his words. “I love you and I want to be with you forever. Isn’t that enough?”

 

“No. It isn’t.” Youngjae furiously kicked his shoes off and sat down on the bed, hurt spreading all over his face. “You know why I cared so much about their wedding? Because… It’s the closest I’ll ever be to having one of my own. I’ve wanted one for as long as I could remember, that’s why I work for a freaking wedding planning company!”

 

“What’s wrong with what we have though?” Daehyun moved closer to Youngjae, reaching for his hand.

 

“Because I’ve compromised enough for you. When you got your job in the city, I made sure I found work until I could get the job of my dreams. I barely get to see my parents, and the only friend I have is Jongup! I have done everything I can to be with you comfortably and you can’t even give me the one thing I want most in the world.” Youngjae felt tears welling up in his eyes and he stood up, wiping his cheeks with the back of his hand. “I love you, but if you can’t give me this then I don’t know how much longer I can be in this relationship.” With that, Youngjae left the room and slammed the door, laying himself down on the couch as he silently cried himself to sleep.

 

--

 

The weeks after that, Youngjae immersed himself in his work. He took on two weddings a week, trying to spend as little time as possible at home so that he wouldn’t have to deal with seeing Daehyun. He couldn’t even bear to look at his boyfriend without feeling like crying, and it had gone so far that Daehyun was staying on his friend’s couch for the time being.

 

Daehyun was staying with Yongguk, one of his friends from childhood that had managed to land in the same city as him. Yongguk was a manager and headhunter at a modeling agency, though he really just wanted to become a photographer.

 

“You’ve never been kicked out before… You must have really ed up.” Yongguk stuffed some chow mein into his mouth, looking over at his friend.

 

“He wants to get married.” Daehyun let out a sigh as he put his box of takeout on the coffee table.

 

“Don’t do it. Marriage is a trap and you will never get out of it.” Yongguk said as he laid back into the couch.

 

“I don’t want to be with anyone else but him though. He said we would be over if I couldn’t give him a marriage.” Daehyun ran a hand through his hair, visibly upset.

 

“Well I know you care about him a lot… And I can’t have you on my couch forever. Maybe you can give him this. Marriage isn’t so bad anyways, you guys get a super nice honeymoon and he’ll probably be so that – “

 

“Alright! Okay I got it, I’ll think about it…” They continued to watch the rest of the game, Daehyun regaining his appetite as he finished the rest of his noodles as well as whatever Yongguk had left. His friend was right, losing Youngjae was worse than marriage itself. The two had become such an integral part of each other’s lives that Daehyun couldn’t even imagine living without his other half – these past few days alone showed that he really couldn’t take care of himself without the other.

 

Meanwhile, Youngjae was collapsed on their apartment couch, exhausted from dealing with ungrateful wives and oblivious grooms. The more marriages he worked, the more annoyed he seemed to get with everyone, and he desperately needed his sanity back. He above all missed Daehyun and had even reached the point where he would be okay with never marrying, as long as he got to be with him every day until death due them part.

 

Daehyun seemed to pick the perfect time to come home, because when he did, Youngjae was waking up from a short nap. The younger looked so cute with his fluffy bed head, rubbing his eyes as if he had no idea where he was.

 

“Jae… Baby. I was thinking about what you said…”

 

“Daehyunnie… Me too. I’ve been thinking about it too and I…”

 

“Let me go first. Please. These past few days have honestly been hell without you. When we fight, there is so much wrong with my world and I cannot have that happen. Ever. I need you in my life because without you, I just don’t know how to breathe. And if marriage is all that you want from me, I will give you that and the world because I love you so much.” Daehyun moved next to the other on the couch and held his hands, looking him in the eyes.

 

Youngjae felt tears well up in his eyes again, but for different reasons this time. His arms flung around the other and he kissed Daehyun with so much emotion that it felt like it was the first time they ever kissed at all.

 

“I was going to tell you that… We don’t have to get married. That you’re enough. You’re all I need to be happy in my life, marriage isn’t necessary because I’m so happy with you already… But now that you mention it… I want a small wedding with all of our loved ones.” Youngjae kissed Daehyun again, his hands snaking around Daehyun’s neck as the two then proceeded to have some mind-blowing on the couch.

 


 

A/N - Thank you again to bangzelow & lovechaosmusic for constantly fueling me to write this story. Not going to lie, this was so much harder to write than anything I'm used to because it's not one of my top otps. Anyways, hope you all like it! You know what's next. It'll probably come up in a week or two, pending on feelings. Comment your feels!