v

Chasing Summer: Autumn

 

   Myungsoo gazed at Suzy, with a failed attempt to suppress the smile on his lips. November already began. The days became colder and the golden rays of the autumn sun were beginning to get paler. They were sitting on the swings in a park, waiting for Daehyun’s dismissal. Suzy was off from school, and Myungsoo was only required to attend his morning classes.

   “Hey, Kim Myungsoo,” Suzy began. “What are you looking at?”

   He took a sip from his own can of coffee before answering, “It still amazes me how I can talk to you face to face like this.”

   “You better believe it now,” she replied. “Are you and Sunggyu keeping in touch with each other?”

   “We chat from time to time,” he said. “And he never fails to remind me to look after you.”

   Suzy scoffed. “That’s so typical of him. Fretful as always.”

   She played with the fallen leaves on the ground with her foot, and Myungsoo could only stare. From his point of view, he knew that Suzy still missed Sunggyu. As much as he wanted to help her, he was well aware that time was a necessity for everything to work out.

   “Is it difficult?” he finally asked.

   She glanced at her friend. “What is?”

   “That kind of feeling. Is it difficult?”

   Her eyes widened a little upon understanding what Myungsoo was trying to say. She sighed, and nodded. “I admit it is. Still, the both of us don’t want to stay in this kind of situation. Knowing that helps. It makes you want to stop it even more, since you know that nobody will wait for you at the other end of the line.”

   “I see.”

   Suzy exhaled a mouthful of air. “One day, everything will be all right.”

   He nodded in agreement.

   “One day, I will completely forget what I’m feeling right now,” she drew an imaginary line in the air. “Completely.”

   “Hm,” he murmured.

   “One day, I’ll be able to laugh it off and think of it as nothing but a memory.”

   “Of course.”

   She paused, and looked down on the ground again. “But Myungsoo, you know what?”

   “What?”

   “I’ve been wondering.”

   “About what?” he pressed on.

   Suzy choked out a smile, and asked, “What keeps me from making that day today?”

<:>

   “Hyung,” Daehyun adjusted the coat Myungsoo made him wear in the shop. “Why are we here?”

   “Your mom said I should buy you a coat, since it’s getting cold.”

   “Are they fighting again?”

   He paused to look at his younger brother. “Why do you think so?”

   Daehyun shrugged.

    Myungsoo flashed him a short smile, before taking the coat off of him. “This fits you well. We’ll take this one.”

<:>

   Sunggyu opened the door, only to be greeted by Woohyun, who had a huge bag standing beside him. “Hello, my friend!”

   “What’s that?” the older one asked, while staring at the luggage.

   “Apparently my flat needed some major renovating, and they’ll start the day after tomorrow. I can stay here, right?” Without waiting for a reply Woohyun welcomed himself inside with a grin plastered on his lips. “I won’t stay for free, though. I’ll cook for you!”

   Sunggyu scoffed, and he checked the time. “You can unpack later on. Just go and prepare, since we’ll be working today.”

   “Roger that, Seth,” Woohyun said with a two- salute.

   Upon hearing his English name, Sunggyu looked at him and replied, “Right back at you, Jake.

<:>

   “You sure know how to keep your composure,” Woohyun remarked, before stopping on a red light. “Sometimes I do wonder if you’re even for real. With me barging into your place like that, is it really all right?”

   “We’re no strangers,” Sunggyu replied. “And besides, I looked after two kids ever since I was five. I’ve had worse situations.”

   “Ah, it must be nice, having siblings.”

   Sunggyu looked at Woohyun through the rearview mirror, and smiled. “It’s a joy. But how does it feel like, being an only child?”

   “You get lonely from time to time,” he admitted. “But as you grow up you’ll get used to the silence so being around people could be a new experience. I’ve to admit I was so bad at working in a team before.”

   “You seem to be more outgoing now, though,” Sunggyu pointed out.

   “I’m numbering my days carefully,” Woohyun replied. “I don’t want to miss anything, that’s why I’m giving it my all.”

   “Ah, but of course.”

   The two finally arrived at their destination, and by the time they entered their department, they were greeted by their manager.

   “Seth, Jake, may I speak with you for a moment?”

   They nodded, and followed their superior’s lead. The three entered his office, where a woman was sitting down on the sofa. She stood up upon seeing them as a sign of courtesy.

   “This is Michelle Song, and she transferred from Ireland to here. May you orient her for the time being?”

   They exchanged smiles, and Woohyun faced their manager. “Of course, William. We’ll take care of it.

   “Then,” William said, with a wave of his hand. “It’s all yours. Michelle, I hope you enjoy your stay here.

   “Of course, William. Thank you so much.

   Their manager left the room, and the three studied each other.

   “My English name is Michelle, but you can call me Jieun. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

   “I’m Woohyun.”

   “Sunggyu.”

   “So,” Woohyun began, while placing his hands in his pockets. “Should we begin the tour? Which office is bigger?”

   “The one in here,” Jieun said. “It’s pretty quiet in Ireland, you see.”

   “How long have you been in there?”

   “A total of three years.”

   “What about your parents?” Sunggyu asked.

   “They’re in Korea.”

   “Which reminds me!” Woohyun exclaimed. “Where in Korea do you live?”

   “Gangnam.”

   Woohyun whistled. “That’s nice.”

   The two guided Jieun accordingly, and after a while she was directed to her desk, which was beside Sunggyu. She was able to catch a glimpse of the picture frames on his space. One contained his family, while the other was a photograph of a woman with a pair of quiet eyes and an intelligent smile. Her aura was faint and gentle. Her eyes landed on the last frame, where Sunggyu and the woman were sitting on a park bench, closely huddled together so the both of them would be captured by the camera.

   “She’s my girlfriend,” Sunggyu began, which sent Jieun to slightly jump up.

   “She’s very pretty,” she said.

   “And kind,” he added.

   Jieun smiled a little. “How old is she now?”

   “We’re of the same age.”

   “I see.”

   Sunggyu glanced at Jieun. “What about you? Do you have a boyfriend?”

   “I had a boyfriend.”

   “I see.”

   She cocked her head. “You’re not going to ask about it?”

   “You’ll tell it once you’re ready,” Sunggyu concluded. “For now, let’s try and arrange the tasks you should do.”

<:>

   “Sunshine?”

   Suzy smiled. “Hello, Summer.”

   “Shouldn’t you be asleep by now?” he asked.

   “Well, I was supposed to but you answered my call so…”

   Myungsoo chuckled. “What’re you doing now?”

   “I’m trying to finish a book. And you?”

   “I just finished ironing Daehyun’s uniform.”

   “You really enjoy his company, huh?”

   “What’s there to not enjoy about him?”

   “Good point,” Suzy said. “Is he asleep?”

   “He is.”

   Silence.

   “So, then, Sunshine, why’d you call?”

   Suzy bit her lower lip. “Nothing, really. I’m just thinking.”

   “About what?”

   She sighed. “Things.”

   Myungsoo walked around his living room, with his eyes fixed on the ceiling. “What kind of things?”

   “What if Sunggyu—” she trailed off. “Never mind.”

   “What if Sunggyu finds a girl there?” he finished off for her. She didn’t reply. Myungsoo smiled a little. “I wonder. What’ll you do by then?”

   “I’d cry,” Suzy muttered. “Maybe.”

   “And?”

   “Tell him he .”

   “And?”

   “Cry some more.”

   “And?”

   “And I’ll accept that bitter fact.”

   Silence engulfed the two. Finally, she whispered, “How do you let go of a person?”

   Myungsoo closed his eyes, and the images of his mother flashed before him. “I don’t really know how to do that.”

   “But do you have any ideas?”

   “In order to let go of a person,” he began. “You should first let go of the memories.”

   “How?”

   “By making new memories.”

   The frequency drowned the peace between them.

   “Hey, Summer,” Suzy said. “Let’s make new memories.”


 

"Teach us to number our days aright, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."
- Psalm 90:12

*All these gyuzy I can't.