xxxvi

Chasing Summer: Autumn

   “Sunggyu?”

   He got up straight from his bed, recognizing the voice on the other end of the line in an instant. It was a few days after the New Year. “Mother, what’s the matter?”

   “We received the gifts,” she said. “I’m really grateful, and we received something else, too.”

   “What is it? Mother, you should hang up and I’ll call you back, instead. International calls are costly.”

   “No, Sunggyu, we’re all right,” she intercepted. “I have been thinking about it for the longest time, if I should tell this to you or not.”

   His heartbeat accelerated. Somehow, he could see where the conversation was headed.

   “I am really, really blessed because Sunye met someone like you,” she began. “You really loved her, Sunggyu, but you can’t go on living in the past.”

   “Mother—”

   “Please,” she cut in. “Don’t call me that anymore. Now that Sunye’s gone, Sunggyu, we’ve accepted this for a long time now. And you should, too. Let everything go, and start anew.”

   Silence, followed by a gentle, loosening feeling that spread throughout Sunggyu’s heart.

<:>

   The ice on the pavements thinned out. Myungsoo survived Daehyun’s first death anniversary. He went along with his father and stepmother to catch up with what was happening with them. He was informed they were getting back together, and the news made the young man smile. He said he was happy for them. He meant it.

   “When you graduate, what are you going to do?” Mr. Kim asked, while they shared a meal in a restaurant.

   “There are already some offers from different agencies,” Myungsoo replied. “I’m just going to where I should be.”

   “If you need help—any help at all—don’t hesitate to call us.”

   Myungsoo nodded. He thought about the situation, and realized it was his first, proper meal with them. Daehyun’s mother noticed the wistful spark in Myungsoo’s eyes. “What’s wrong?”

   He chewed his food slowly, swallowed it and answered, “I’m just thinking. I’ve lost so many opportunities to get to know you.”

   “Look forward,” Mr. Kim said. “Don’t fret about what had happened before. The seeds have been sown and reaped. Now, Myungsoo, we can sow new seeds, and reap better fruits in the harvest.”

<:>

   “Kim Myungsoo,” Professor Yang called, seconds after the last student went out of the recording room. He took the guitar Sunggyu gave him, and entered the wide space. He placed the stool aside and stood up in front of the microphone.

   His classmates were stationed behind the professor, and after preparing himself, Professor Yang asked, “Have you finished composing your song?”

   “I have,” he said in front of the microphone.

   The teacher gave him a gesture of approval, and nodded. “You may begin.”

   Myungsoo cleared his throat, strummed his guitar once, and poised himself. He closed his eyes, and with the music resonating within the mahogany walls, he went on with the unforced rhythm. He was already singing the words out, and in his mind, he could vividly see the piece of paper where he composed the song, bringing it to life. In a span of three minutes, he had to express what he thought of love.

“Walking down the summer road,
I stare at the stars and think
How nice would it be to have
A place called home, because all
I have with me is a recorded voice
Which never really said the things
I needed to hear.

What was that feeling I seemed to have lost?
I can’t find them in the letters smeared with
lipstick stains and perfumes. It’s not in places
Where I expected it to be.
But then I realized, what I was searching for
Was in You all along.

You numbered stars and called them by name,
And I know with me You did the same
Though I wandered until I got lost,
Your grace was what pointed me to the cross

You replaced my tears with smiles,
In You, I felt worthwhile.
You told me who I am in Your eyes,
And it’s more than enough, I realize.

You showed love
that while I was still
running away from You,
You’ve already sacrificed
A life so precious
For mine.

What a beautiful exchange,
What abundance of grace,
I’ll be here until I see Your face
And melt in Your embrace.”

   Myungsoo was afraid to open his eyes afterwards. He was experienced in singing in front of people, but spilling his heart out like that, it was new to him. He only borrowed words from different lyricists, then. As he stood, with a glass wall separating him from the rest, he wondered if he was too honest. He wondered if he offended people, or if what he did caused others to ridicule him in their thoughts. Before, he wondered why some would even bother writing songs of love for God. But then, he understood.

   Someone started clapping, followed by another, and another. He slowly opened his eyes, and found Professor Yang grinning from ear to ear. He pressed a button, and asked, “Are you trying to become a pastor?”

   Myungsoo could only smile back in return. He bowed, and left the studio. Professor Yang announced that the results would be released online after a week, and while waiting, they should go ahead and enjoy themselves.

   “This is our last formal lesson,” the teacher announced, while looking at his students around the room. “It’s been great having you, and more than music theory, I hope you managed to learn about living. I’ll see you all on graduation!”

   Myungsoo stepped out of the university building, and studied his surroundings. The spring flowers were already preparing themselves to pop out from the cold, dead ground. Soon, cherry blossoms would fall, and togas would be thrown into the air. A new chapter in his life would begin, and with a smile, he looked up at the sky, showing tints of bright blue despite the cold temperature.

   “You know who I want to be with, right?” he asked. “It’s still her. It’s always been her.”


 

"We can understand someone dying for a person worth dying for, and we can understand how someone good and noble could inspire us to selfless sacrifice. But God put his love on the line for us by offering his Son in sacrificial death while we were of no use whatever to him."
- Romans 5:7-8