Epilogue

Chasing Summer: Autumn

   “Oh, you got up earlier than we did,” Woohyun pointed out, when he saw Sunggyu and Jieun, already enjoying their breakfast in the hotel’s porch.

   “Jieun wanted to swim before it gets too hot,” Sunggyu replied. He handed him the menu. “Find something to eat with your wife, and get a separate table.”

   “You’re so possessive of her, seriously,” Woohyun muttered. He turned to Nicole, and asked, “Should we get a room, instead?”

   “Hey!” Nicole slapped him on the back, but he didn’t even flinch. “You should learn how to whisper things.”

   Both Jieun and Sunggyu chuckled at the couple’s playful exchange. Sunggyu looked at them, and remembered how Woohyun called him from their reunion, his words choked out and thick, saying that Nicole already met someone. It was obvious that he was in tears. It wasn’t until hours later that Woohyun called back again, reporting in a rather excited tone of voice, “He’s just a distant relative who went home with Nicole to visit!”

   It boggled Sunggyu. Despite Woohyun being able to decipher people, he could still act childlike, with a sheer naivety to him.

   “How about Sungyeol and Hara?” Woohyun asked, while looking around. “Are they still asleep?”

   “They’re buying some souvenirs, and Jin Gook brought Kyuhyun along,” Jieun answered.

   “Jin Gook really cares for your son,” Woohyun remarked. He smiled, and gently caressed Nicole’s tummy. “I hope he gives the same treatment for the next one.”

   “He will, don’t worry about it!” Nicole cocked her head, and smirked. “And I bet they’re still asleep. I wonder how they live—a composer and a novelist.”

   “Bingo,” Sunggyu looked up thoughtfully. “But they’ll be here soon enough. Their child’s an early bird. Daehyun is.”

<:>

   “Good morning Sunshine, good morning Summer!” struggling to climb up the bed once again, the five year old child squirmed and shook his parents, while repeating the greeting. “Good morning Sunshine, good morning Summer!”

   Myungsoo was the first one to wake up, and he smiled upon seeing his wife, still asleep. He gently ran his index finger at the tips of her eyelashes, and traced her nose. He leaned in, and kissed her forehead. “Sunshine, wake up.”

   “Mommy!” their son cried. “Wake up!”

   A slight smile graced Suzy’s lips, and Myungsoo knew what she was on. He placed his hand on her forehead, and looked at the boy with a worried look. “Mommy wants a good morning kiss from you, too.”

   “Okay,” he replied, smiling. He puckered his cherry lips and kissed Suzy on the cheek. Suzy stirred at the slightest.

   “One more,” Myungsoo urged.                     

   Their son did what he was told, and after that, Suzy opened her eyes, and both sat up straight to hug their child.

   “Good morning!” they greeted in between chortles.


"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
- 2 Timothy 4:7