Love in the Ice

Unrequited (Love in the Ice)

 

There were pitfalls of being a driver/bodyguard to the children of the rich, like maltreatment and disrespect, but Yunho had lucked out in not getting a spoilt, rich, entitled, arrogant brat as his charge. His assignment to the Choi family was the middle child of five, Sooyoung –the tall, cheerful, shikshin of the family who never failed to greet him in the morning with coffee and a sandwich and a friendly smile.

 

At first when she’d inquired about his family he’d been surprised, but told her anyway –expecting her to be like the others he’d worked for before, but she shocked him further by not only remembering the names of all his sisters, but remembering specific details about them and enquiring about their welfare. In short, the young lady cared and treated him on a level she would address one of high society and not just an employee.

 

Were there times she snapped? Yes; it was human nature to have bad days, but they were few and far between, and when she did take her frustrations out on him, it wouldn’t take her too long to apologize –something a rarity in his line of work.

 

He’d also seen her laugh, cry, fail, succeed, fall in love, and get her heart broken through his rear view mirror. Seen her dressed casually to go volunteering at a hospital, school or orphanage; dressed to the nines to attend a fundraiser or high society event; dress smart to go to the office. All her moments did nothing but make the girl more fascinating to him and, perhaps, that was when he began looking at her as more than his boss and paycheck.

 

In his eyes the young woman was a rare gem –beautiful not only inside and out, uncorrupted by her privileged upbringing. Because she truly was gorgeous –big brown eyes, tall and slender with legs that went on for miles and a smile that brightened up anyone’s day. The minute he began to notice her, was the minute he knew he was falling for her –someone he was sure he could never have. His feelings though were kept exclusively to himself, he didn’t even dare tell his best friend Changmin about it, because telling them to someone meant completely acknowledging it which was dangerous ground to walk on.

 

“Good evening, Yunho-ssi,” she greeted with an especially bright smile, before sliding into the seat with all the grace her breeding required. It was another social event, he guessed from what she wore –a startling white gown peaked from the cream jacket, the material cool, soft and liquid in his hand as he assisted her with getting the trail into the car. “Kashminada,” She thanked, her voice soft and warm, emphasizing her sincerity.

 

“It’s no problem at all, Sooyoung-ssi,” he assured her with a smile of his own, shutting the door for her and hurrying to the front seat, adjusting the mirror so it not only got an unhindered view of the back, but the girl in the back, “Where will I be taking you tonight?”

 

When she told him, her good mood was understandable. Cho Kyuhyun, a famous singer and her childhood friend was going to be performing at an exhibit, and like the loyal friend, and girl in love she was, she’d agreed to attend. Kyuhyun wasn’t a bad guy and treated Sooyoung well as he should, but his affection for the brunette was one of a filial and platonic nature which was far from the feelings the lady had for him. He’s only hope was that she wouldn’t be disappointed in finding that out; he didn’t like seeing her cry.

 

“You seem excited,” he continued making small talk as he always did when she was in such a mood. When happy she could be talkative and lively, wanting everyone to share in her joy.

 

Sooyoung tried to hide it, but Yunho could see the blush colouring her cheeks clearly. “You could say I have a good feeling about tonight.” That certainly stirred mixed feeling in him, on one hand seeing her happy was always something he wanted, but the possibility of her and someone else stirred a tiny uncomfortable feeling in him he didn’t like. Could he have been wrong and Kyuhyun felt the same way?

 

“I hope things work out for you, Sooyoung-ssi,” he hoped her success, because her smiling with someone else was much better than her tears at their expense.

 

The only thing that stuck in his mind as she slid out of the car when they had arrived at the destination, was her cheerful voice thanking him and calling him oppa. It wasn’t much, but her dropping the formalities and calling him with such affection certainly made his night and almost made him forget the reason for her high spirits wasn’t him.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

If she was going to stay longer than midnight, Sooyoung had always made it a point to send him home early, uncomfortable about making him wait for her. For her piece of mind he’d always agreed, but made a point to ensure she got into a cab and home safe, before he actually drove home. It was his little secret, but it wasn’t one he felt guilty in hiding, because it was his job after all.

 

So, when the text came in a mere two hours after her arrival, he had truly expected it to be his dismissal for the night, but instead it was one asking him to pick her up and she was waiting in front of the building. Being the winter and such a cold night, Yunho was concerned about her waiting in the cold and put a rush on it. When he drove up to the front, he found her hugging her coat close to fight the cold. Before he could even think about switching off the engine and going round to open the door for her like he usually did, she had already snatched the door open and had fallen into the seat.

 

“Yunho-ssi, could we drive around for a while please,” the tears clear in her voice, told him that her night hadn’t gone the way she had expected or wanted. Eyes red as silent tears made their way down her cheeks, nose red as well from the crying and cold.

 

He didn’t say a word as he pulled on to the street, because he’d learnt from experience that she’d just cry harder whenever he tried to comfort her. His eyes stealing glances at the rear view mirror, he watched her shoulders shake, small hand covering her trembling lips as she tried to hide her silent tears from him.

 

Seoul was beautiful in the night time, and admiring the sights was something he usually did as he listened to her talk or as they discussed music and books. But the sights couldn’t deafen the soft sobs from the back seats, nor dim the image her of crying from his rear view mirror or mind. Tightening his hands around the steering wheel, he cursed one Cho Kyuhyun for making her cry, even if it wasn’t fair because, you couldn’t force someone to love anyone.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

“Could we stop here, Yunho-ssi? I need some air,” Sooyoung voiced, finally managing to control her tears. After all, it was her fault for hoping too much and ignoring what was right in front of her the whole time. Kyuhyun oppa only saw her as a friend –a sister –while she wanted more.

 

She was so deep in her mental reprimand that she hadn’t noticed that Yunho had done as asked, and pulled over. Only noticing when the biting chill of the winter wind blew in from the open door, always patient man, her handsome driver--friend held out a hand to assist her out of the car. Accepting the offered hand with what she hoped was a convincing smile, she stepped out. The deceive warmth of the car’s cabin disappearing in the cold night, but she liked it. When she noticed he wasn’t beside her at the water edge and was instead leaning calmly against the car waiting for her, she smiled –ever the professional. “Could you join me, Yunho-ssi?” she called out, finding that his mere presence seem to starve off the tears.

 

They stood in a comfortable silence watching the river, breaths making puffs of mist in the night air for a while before he broke the delicate silence. “Do you want to talk about it?” the inquiry polite, gentle and concerned in nature was enough to bring tears balancing in her eyes once again. Just thinking about it reminded her of the humiliation and embarrassment of almost confessing, only to be rudely awaked by Kyuhyun introducing his girlfriend Seohyun. If that wasn’t painful enough, he seemed hell bent to unknowingly pick at the wound by introducing her as a close friend and practically sister.

 

“About how big of a pabo I am?” she scoffed at herself. It wasn’t as if Soojin hadn’t hinted to her that her best friend’s affection didn’t encompass anything romantic, she had still stubbornly –and now she was crying again. Aish…

 

His gentle hand on her shoulder did nothing but make the tears come faster, and throat clog up because she refused to let the sob escape her. “Sooyoung-ssi…” Before she knew it, the sob had escaped but was muffed by Yunho’s black blazer and chest. Her head had accepted the news, but her heart still broke as she remembered the look of adoration and soft smiles Kyuhyun afforded his girlfriend.

 

Just like the first sob, the others after it were muffled by his jacket, the material soaking up the brunt of her tears. He had been bold and assuming when he’d pulled her into a hug, ready to deal with the consequences if it resulted in a violent rejection of his offer. But, she came into his arms easily, even his jacket and pressing closer, as he gently smoothed her hair.

 

He’d be lying if he said he’d never thought or contemplated, in a fleeting moment of fantasy, about what it would be like to hold her like he was then, but he’d never wished it to happen like this –out of comfort because she was crying from a broken heart. But, such was life and reality –the two of them required him to be at the most, a friend to console her heart.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

When Sooyoung had finally managed to curb her tears once again, she’d stepped out of his arms and apologized shyly for putting him in such an uncomfortable situation. She hadn’t even given him time to assure her that there was nothing to apologize for, and had made a dash for the car calling for him over her shoulder, requesting him to drive her home.

 

If he looked at it from an objective perspective, he could certainly see why she’d run because there was a certain inappropriate tone to what had happened. No matter how much he subconsciously wanted it to be different, and how much she treated him as more than an employee, he was still just her driver and nothing else.

 

If only she’d turned out to be the generic, high on herself, society princess it would have certainly made his job so much easier than it currently was. It would have certainly prevented the reckless emotions that resulted in falling for her.

 

Stealing a glance at the rear view mirror once again, he hoped to at least not see tears anymore. Yes, the tears were at bay, but confusion was on the forefront. “Sooyoung-ssi, do you mind if we stop by somewhere before I take you home?” He asked, hoping the piece offering he was about to offer would make her feel less awkward.

 

“I don’t mind,” she looked surprised, that he wasn’t shifting in discomfort after what had occurred. Her startled brown eyes meeting his in the rear view mirror, holding his gaze a long as she could before offering a smile and look away.

 

 --~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

The store front they’d stopped in front of front walls were covered almost entire in glass as was customary of coffee shop, giving passer bys a view of the interior. Its sign proudly read the mug in English, still fairy busy even at such a late hour. When her door opened letting in the cold winter air, and revealing her driver and friend, she spoke. “Is there a problem?”

 

Extending a hand for her to take, he answered with a query. “Do you trust me, Sooyoung-ssi?” His voice the warm baritone, that always assured her of safety and security, made the inquiry sound almost rhetorical in her sure mind. Of course she trusted him –with her life.

 

“Of course,” she answered without skipping a beat, it wasn’t even something she needed to assess or think about.

 

A small smile pulled at his lips, “Then, come with me,” hand still hovering in the air waiting for her own. What did she have to lose? She was miserable and she didn’t think being home alone in her room was an option. Placing her hand in his, she let him help her out of the car, curious to see what he had in mind.

 

He guided her into the shop with a daring hand on the small of her back, after locking up the car. A silent celebration couldn’t be helped; her trust in him was so firm that she hadn’t even thought long and hard about his question. Perhaps he could never hope for her love, but he was assured of her trust.

 

--~*+*~-:- o -:-~*+*~--

 

“So, she’s the one,” Donghae voiced what all of them were thinking, but too in awe to say. The moment he’d walked in, everything had begun falling into place. Before getting a job with the Choi family, Yunho had never been happy about his work –always ending his days at work in frustration. But, now his friend was content, and more than happy to stay on later if it was required of him. He finally knew the reason why –Choi Sooyoung.

 

Boa furrowed her eyebrows in confusion, stealing one of the broken pieces of cake they usually ate instead of serving due to Tiffany’s insistence on high presentation standards. “Who’s the one?”

 

“Choi Sooyoung,” Changmin let the name roll of his tongue. Pretty name for a pretty girl –not what his hyung usually went for but he could definitely see her appeal –big brown eyes that sparkled when she laughed and an easy laugh that was infection. Not to mention the fact that she seemed down to earth, this was a serious contradiction to her status. “Hyung, likes her.”

 

Boa doubted it, but continued to watch them to try and see what they saw, and it was hard to miss it after a while. The signs were subtle to anyone watching, but it was the way he watched her with a smile when she laughed, or how she seemed to have the ability to make him laugh so easily. “I see what you mean.” Knowing Yunho the way she did, she knew he was too much of a martyr and professional to confess to her.

 

Boa couldn’t blame him really, since the last time he fell for someone of a higher class he’d ended up disappointed. Had Ara felt the same way about Yunho? Sure, but her family wasn’t at all willing to accept a mere ‘commoner’ for her, and it resulted in a blacklisting and disappointment when Ara chose her family. But, he seemed rather content even though his affection seemed one sided –she just hoped he wouldn’t get hurt in the process.