Prologue

30 Days to Get Into His Heart

Sooyoung was feeling a bit lucky because the front seats for the class today were strangely filled by her friends. She wondered what had gotten into those people, why they suddenly desired to sit at the front today and particularly in this class. Honestly, nobody liked this class – or maybe the lecturer. She shrugged it off, however, and returned to her previous activity, zoning out. Even though she kept her eyes on the projection screen, her soul and mind wandered to somewhere else. Hmm, it’s been a while since I last saw him. Okay, maybe not to ‘somewhere else’, it was actually to ‘a certain person’.

She remembered everything; her memory about that was crystal-clear, as if it just happened yesterday. It was actually two years ago since she first saw him.

Flashback

She planned to go for ice cream with Onew after the class ended. Her best friend had to return some books to the library first, so she said she’d wait for him at the park. Closing her eyes, she decided to spend one or two good minutes by enjoying the nice breeze. She was always fond of that kind of situation where it was quiet and calm. Nonetheless, that peaceful silence was eventually ruined.

She snapped her eyes open when she heard loud laughter interrupting. She turned her head around and found two guys sitting on a bench not too far where she was seated, were the ones who were responsible for breaking her perfect setting. “Wait, isn’t that Onew’s brother?” she asked to herself. She squinted her eyes to take a good look of the taller man, and at the same time making sure she wasn’t caught staring at the two guys. “Ah, he is indeed Onew’s older brother. What’s his name again? Lee… Lee Changmin, right? Hmm, and the other person would be…”

Who is he anyway? He doesn’t look familiar.

She didn’t know what it was; however there was something about him that attracted her. She still kept her eyes on him, attempting to find out what made her interested in him.

The guy had his black hair brushed neatly to the back. His eyes were crescents-like and even though, Sooyoung didn’t know what color they were, she knew they would look beautiful. His eyelashes were definitely a spot-on; they were long and would flutter cutely everytime he blinked. His eyebrows would raise to create frowns everytime he made a face. His perfectly sharp nose made Sooyoung wanted to pinch it to make sure it was real. His lips were full and were shade of pale pink. Sooyoung was jealous of his fair complexion, honestly wished she wasn’t that tanned.

She admitted that he, whom later she found out named Cho Kyuhyun, was flawless appearance-wise. She was curious if he was flawless too academically, the genius type who would score straight A’s in every subjects.

She decided to stop looking at him, before she was caught eyeing him. She opened her bag and took out a yellow, plain-looking diary. She bought it over a week ago and she hadn’t even written anything on those thin papers. She was a bit busy with doing some assignments and attending club meetings, that’s why she never had a chance to write. There was this feeling inside of her telling to begin writing there and now. She wasn’t certain about what she should write but the next minute she found out herself describing the unknown guy.

Fanning herself with her hands, she could feel how hot it was all of a sudden. She was embarrassed of her own action and it felt like her face was flushing red. This isn’t what they called love, isn’t it?

End of Flashback

“Sooyoung! Sooyoung! Choi Sooyoung!”

She blinked her eyes open, looking flustered. She looked around her and found the class was half-emptied already. Hurriedly putting her things back to her bag, she then stood upright. She gazed at the guy in front of him. “What are you looking at?” asked her with a glare.

Shaking his head, Onew mumbled softly. “Aniya, Soo.”

She smiled upon seeing his nerdy best friend. She linked arms with him instinctively and dragged him out of the classroom. “So, what did I miss during the class?” She questioned, turning her head to him. “Another assignment?”

“Well,” He began, fixing his thick-rimmed glasses. “I won’t call it an assignment since it’s a much bigger scale task. It will be appropriate if you call it a project.” Sooyoung hummed as a respond and he continued. “It’s an individual project. During the summer break, you have to observe a certain person and that person has to agree being the subject of observation.”

“The person has to agree being the subject, huh?” repeated Sooyoung, massaging her forehead. “… That’s going to be difficult. I mean, who wants to be observed almost everyday?”

“I know,” He nodded amicably. “It seems like we have to find that person from now on.”

“I guess so. How about the other things? I didn’t take any notes from the lecture today, but… You did, right?”

“Of course I did. I knew you’re too busy with…. Things,” Onew giggled. “Don’t worry; you can always look at my notes.”

Sooyoung laughed heartily. “Yeah, you’re right. Thanks in advance.”

She eyed her watch and it was 01.00 pm, the perfect time to have lunch. She was hungry already, well she was always hungry. She had no chance to have her breakfast earlier so she was thinking a sort-of revenge for lunch. She knew the cafeteria lady wouldn’t mind her savoring a more than enough portion of food. Besides, she still had another classes until afternoon, a lunch feast wouldn’t really hurt. “Lunch?” She knew she didn’t have to offer it to Onew since her steps were already leading to the cafeteria. No matter what answers he gave, he’d eventually go with her too.

“Sure.”

There weren’t that many students in the cafeteria that day, much to Sooyoung’s joy. The queue line was not long either, so she knew she’d get to dig in her food pretty quick. As she lined behind some girls, she eyed her surroundings, trying to look for a good place to eat. She literally dropped her jaw when she spotted him with his friends.

Oh my God, he’s here.

“O… Onew-yah, I think I know the perfect subject to do that assignment–”

Onew, who was trying to find the most delicious looking chicken to fill his plate, frowned upon her words and turned his head to his best friend,

“Eh? What are you talking about, Soo? What subject are you talking about— Hey! Where are you going? I’ve found the biggest chicken already!”

Sooyoung was excited; she didn’t hear almost all of Onew’s rambling behind her. She only tightened her grip in Onew’s sleeve and dragged him to the table where her crush was sitting, laughing heartily with two other boys she didn’t know, well, she didn’t want to know either.

Onew still threw some random words at Sooyoung but immediately stopped when he knew to which table they headed to. He stared blankly and thought that he really wanted to hit Sooyoung. He knew those boys there, they were his brother’s friends and he liked—no, fell in love with one of them. He immediately thought to do something to hide his face. When he realized he had nothing in his hand, he decided to just stare at the ground and prayed that his bang was long enough to cover his face. Oh, I hope they didn’t recognize me.

Onew was nervous when they finally got there, and Sooyoung with her dumbstruck-love stare wasn’t much of a help either. He nudged Sooyoung’s arm to make her say something.

“Uh, hi!”

… What the hell.

“Soo–“

“Umm, sorry… Uh.. –Hey! Aren’t you Minho? Oh, Onew, there is Minho too! You should ask him to be your subject! Ah, we can do this assignment and observe our own crushes! Oh my god, this is going to be exciting!”

Onew’s jaw dropped. He silently eyed Minho who was confused as his other two friends. What crush? What exactly did this girl mean? Onew was really really going to kill Sooyoung after this. He still hung his head though, thinking about the ways to shut his best friend’s mouth before she said something embarrassing again, silently cheering when he heard a voice broke the uncomfortable silence.

“I’m sorry but why are you two here?” –what are you doing here and what actually are you talking about?

He knew that voice and finally, he understood why Sooyoung dragged him here. Of course it was all because of Kyuhyun, the boy who Sooyoung had the crush on. Yeah, and happened to be Minho’s friend too.

Flashback

It’s been exactly a month since Sooyoung was talking about a mysterious boy she met. And today, after a long time of hearing his best friend talked about him, Onew finally agreed to accompany Sooyoung to spy on this boy, who Sooyoung stubbornly said was his brother’s friend. Onew didn’t believe that at all, he never knew his Changmin hyung had a friend like Sooyoung always said– handsome, cute, had a pair of pretty eyes and kissable lips and blah and blah. He lazily followed Sooyoung through the main building and headed to the sport section in the corner of their school, smiling slightly when he saw how excited Sooyoung looked.

“Oh, Onew, you won’t believe this. He is so perfect. He took my heart with him and he hadn’t give me back yet, uh..”

And the smile faltered, oh, Sooyoung had definitely gone crazy.

They arrived and Onew immediately observing the football field in front of him. There, he saw his brother with Kyuhyun who was on the left side of his brother and a stranger on his right side, but wow, the stranger’s eyes were so beautiful. He kept looking at that stranger until Sooyoung shook his shoulders, hard.

“Onew,  look, what I said! He really is your brother’s friend! Aigoo, how come you never tell me about this? I thought we were best friends!”

The pout at Sooyoung’s face was priceless. Sooyoung and pouts was never really a match. Onew had been laughing if he didn’t felt so upset, so Sooyoung has a crush on that stranger with beautiful eyes? Because there is no way she falls for Kyu—

“Yah, Onew! I didn’t bring you here for daydreaming! Look at my crush! Isn’t he so handsome like a prince? Ooh, he is so cool wearing that red jersey!”

… Wait, red? Onew squinted to get a better view of the boy with the red jersey.

“YOU MEAN KYUHYUN HYUNG?” Onew shrieked. He couldn’t believe his ears. Who would describe Kyuhyun as a handsome and cute and perfect boy? Kyuhyun was his brother’s partner in crime since they were children and what—a prince?

“HIS NAME IS KYUHYUN?” Sooyoung screamed back, her grin was so wide until Onew was scared her face would tear off.

“YAH, SOO! NO NEED TO SCREAM!”

“BUT YOU SCREAMED FIRST!”

Onew could only glare at Sooyoung. She suddenly looked so weird with that big grin she wore. They both turned their head when someone called Onew’s name.

“Oi, Jinki! What are you doing there?”

Onew quickly recognized his brother’s voice. He was fidgeting whether to go there and meet the handsome stranger or to stay here, not meeting the handsome stranger.

“Oh my God, Onew-yah! Let’s go and introduce me to prince Kyuhyun. How do I look? Okay? Is there anything in my teeth?” Sooyoung stretched her lips to show all of her teeth to Onew, who was cringing because of that.

“My best friend, Sooyoung… Please don’t look too creepy and embarrass yourself!”

“Aye, aye, captain!”

Onew approached his brother slowly with a bouncing Sooyoung tailing behind him. Changmin gestured them to stand in front of him, he was about to say something when Onew cut him off.

“First of all, Kyuhyun hyung, I need you too meet someone. This is my best friend, Sooyoung, and Sooyoung, this is Kyuhyun hyung, Changmin hyung’s best friend.”

“Hel-lo, my name is Sooyoung.” Okay, where did the confident and excited Sooyoung go? She was there just like… five seconds ago? Onew couldn’t hide his giggle anymore.

Yeah, this surely was an unforgettable experience to Sooyoung (and Onew too, because later, he found out that the stranger’s name was Minho)

End of flashback

--

They went to the bus stop together that day. Sooyoung just couldn’t hide her excitement and went all squealing on the way. Kyuhyun was surprisingly agreed to be her subject and had her followed him everyday. The reason was so cliché –just want to help a best friend’s brother’s friend out of her assignment, which made Onew couldn’t help but to roll his eyes.

When they finally arrived to the said bus stop (or when Sooyoung finally snapped out of her spazzing), she asked a question that just now went through her mind.

“So, say Onew, what kind of observation will we do? What exactly is the topic?”

Onew could only give Sooyoung a confused look. “I thought you knew the topic since you already decided that you would use Kyu hyung to be your subject.”

“Ani. I only use that observation thing as a reason to follow him all day! And… Oh, thanks God- he allowed me to.” Here came the face-splitting grin again.

Onew just stare dumb-facedly at his best friend. “Well, the topic is about ual Orientation …And if I’m not mistaken, Heechul seonsaengnim said that we have to try to make them fall for us so we can actually know what gender they prefer to!”

“... I’m sorry Onew, what?”

“Yes, I got you. But we sure have to do that thing too! A perfect score for students who can do that.”

Sooyoung’s jaw went slack, oh man, this is going to be hard.

----

a/n: Happy birthday Onew, and happy (belated) birthday Minho ♥