Kim Baek Ji

Thief!

"Kim's Wares, how may I help you?" I asked boringly. I couldn't help it. After all, I have the dullest life ever. I'm the type of girl who's always under the radar, not talking to anyone. The first week of school started off badly. But hey, I'm used to it. The customer finally left, after a few stupid questions. I wiped the counter half-heartedly. Outside, the wind blew wildly and the trees were shaking like a kid about to throw a tantrum. I then heard rustling on the roof. Eh, whatever. It was just the leaves. Duh. I was wrong. From the exact place of where I was standing, the roof suddenly seemed like it was lifted, the wind gushing in with a blast. In that second, a sillouhette dressed in black slipped in. Instinctively, I pulled out a crowbar from the bottom of the counter and held it up, but the shadow was gone, and the room returned to normal. Was that a hallucination? What the heck? It seemed pretty real to me. I looked around a little more, then when everything seemed okay, I began closing up shop. When I turned off the lights to leave, I took one last look around, and when I turned back to the door, a voice called out.

"Wait."

 

Me, Kim Baek Ji

From the very beginning, I was the girl who always lays low. I don't have a best friend, or any friend for that matter. I never talk to anyone. I'm not a social person. You can say I have social problems. But that's not a problem for me. Since I don't talk to anyone, I get good scores on tests but I attend a highschool full of delinquents because my parents can't afford a higher education for me. No one tries talking to me either. Well, I don't blame them that much because I think of my appearance. Though I don't find anything wrong with what I look like: Circle lense glasses, really thick curly hair, long sleeved uniform shirt, and a long brown uniform skirt. Okay, well, I guess I dress like an unsocial person, but I have more things to worry about than my appearance. 

My parents own a hardware store called Kim's Wares. It's not that popular, and it doesn't pay much either. I have a part time job at a local pet salon. We barely manage the bill for our apartment, but it's more than I can ever ask for in this situation. 

Walking to school while clutching my book is embarassing, although I'm used to all the snickers and snorts at my ugly hair or my circle lense glasses. "Ew. What's with that ugly girl. She'll never get laid," a girl said. "Never," the other girl agreed. What was the joy in getting laid? From what I heard, it's extremely painful, and I'm not the type of person who would go through that before marriage. I'll probably never even get married, anyhow.

Kim Hyung Joon, the most popular guy in the school, stepped in front of me and I tripped. He stepped aside so that I could fall flat on my face. His friends were laughing as I stood up, brushed myself from the dirt, and stomped away. Whatever. I could hear loud footsteps behind me, so I ran. Unfortunately, I tripped over my long skirt and faceplanted again, and this time, I winced. It was not fun falling on your face. Something was dripping from my nose, and my clothes were nasty and dirty. My glasses were cracked and my teeth hurt. I flipped around so I was facing the sky and heaved a sigh as the world went black around me. 

 

 

When I woke up, I had a splitting headache, my face hurt badly, and my nose felt weird and out of place. My eyes focused, but still remained blurry from my poor eyesight. However, I made out a face. I looked around for my glasses, and spotted them at the stand next to my bed. As I put them on, the face immediately magnigied and focused at the same time so I felt dizzy for a little bit. I sat up and saw strangers crowded all around the edges of what I concluded to be my hostpital bed. I instantly and instinctively flinched and tried to back up, not used to this amount of people around me, staring intently at my face. 

"Hello?" A hand waved in front of my face. It was Kim Hyung Joon. As soon as I made eye contact, he shuffled his feet and looked down at them, like a nervous little schoolboy about to ask his girl out. "I- I uhhh...." I looked at him patiently, expecting something out of the ordinary to happen. Which it did.           He cleared his throat, and continued, "I apologize for..." he faltered, then started up again nervously, "..letting you faceplant," he finished awkwardly. Someone behind me snickered. "It's... alright," I said, and then asked why everyone was gathered around my bed when they despise me in such a way that they enjoy watching me writhe in agony in front of their innocent eyes.

"Why is everyone gathered around my bed when you despise me in such a way that you enjoy watching me writhe in agony on the ground in front of your innocent eyes?" Everyone looked surprised at first, then frowned when they realized that this was partly an insult.

"What the hell, ? We just wanted to come and you act all ungrateful and stuff. Come on, guys, she ain't worth nothing." Everyone murmured in what I suppose was agreement, and followed after the jock. When I saw everyone leave, I closed my eyes and lay back. 

"Hey."  I jerked up from my position and saw that Kim Hyung Joon hadn't left his spot next to my bed. "I thought everyone left," I muttered lamely. He frowned and said, "Well, um, I guess I'm sorry." "For what?" I asked. He shifted uncomfortably. "Don't make me say it again," he said gruffly. "No, I'm serious, I don't know why you're even apologizing to me in the first place. I mean, you didn't trip me or make my skirt longer so I could trip, so.. yeah." He had a surprised expression on his face. "Well, I did step out of the way when I saw you fall forward, and I did run after you which made you run which made you trip." "I guess so, but it's fine, really. I mean, I'm used to no one talking to me and I'm always a complete loner," I joked. "Well, okay then... I guess I'll see you around."

______________________________________________

Hey guys! <(^-^)> Sorry for the y beginning, but it will get better, I promise! Thanks for reading!