Chapter 1

Friends 'til the End

 

“AHHHHHH!” I screamed.

I balled my hands into tight fists. Taking out my frustration, I crumpled the lyric sheet and chucked it to the garbage. That’s it! I’ve had enough! Grabbing my phone from the music stand, I walked out of the practice room, slamming the door behind me. Due to my outburst, I hadn’t even noticed that I had bumped into a person. I rub my head in pain because of the impact.

Keeping my head down, I grumbled, “Watch where you’re going.” Frowning, I continued to massage the small area on my head. He didn’t even bother to say sorry. Instead, he grabs a hold of my arm before I could even leave.

“Yah, Eunji-ah!” I look up to see the unimpressed look on Yoseob-oppa’s face. “What’s the matter?” he asks, disappointed.

I sigh, “Nothing oppa. I’m just stressed.” He lets go of my arm only to mess up my hair. Annoyed, I glare at him.

He chuckles, “Take a break, dongsaeng! Come on, follow me.” He tugs on my arm and I unwillingly follow his lead. He brings me away from the dreadful practice rooms and to the elevator. He then presses the button that leads to the main floor. Once we’re out, he continues to pull me out of the building. Then instead of going out the main doors, he leads me to the back exit.

I stare at him suspiciously, “Oppa, isn’t this supposed to be out of bounds?”

He looks at me amusingly, raising an eyebrow. “It’s out of bounds only for cowards. Come on Eunji, live a little, will you?” he laughs. I sigh gravely, defeated. Yoseob leans into my ear and whispers, “It’ll be our little secret.” Surprised, I shiver at his close proximity. I look at him, catching a grin plastered on his face.

“Psh,” I say, slapping his arm. “our little secret?! Save that for someone that will believe you!” I glare at him one last time and began to leave.

Yoseob is a great friend of mine, don’t get me wrong. Since our diaper days, we’ve stuck together. Like what others say, we were two peas in a pod. Even now we’re good friends. However if I were to speak the truth, I would admit that we did somehow grow apart.

It was back when he was just about to graduate. He auditioned to Cube without telling me. I wasn't mad since I too kept certain secrets from him. However pretty soon I felt that he was avoiding me. He would leave the school as soon as the bell rings as if there was always an important appointment. When I try to invite him over to hang out, he would always have a reason so that he can't go.

Then came my birthday. I dressed up, in newly bought clothes and even bothered to try to curl my hair. I was waiting expectantly. I rehearsed earlier. I knew that if I didn't confess my feelings to him now, I'll never be able to. That's right, I loved Yang Yoseob and I probably still do. Funny enough, he didn't show up that night on my birthday.  Though tears were shed that time, I grasped the situation acceptingly. But never again had I bothered to try to confess to him.

That next day Yoseob came to school normally. I didn't bother to speak to him about my birthday or anything I had done that past night. In fact I tried my best to avoid him in any way possible because every time I caught sight of him, I was reminded of my stupidity. Had he bothered to even try to say a belated happy birthday, I would've probably accepted his apology. Sadly, each word he spoke of was nowhere close to "I'm sorry". That's when I figured perhaps he had found himself a new best friend.

It went on for days, and each night the feeling of emptiness crept over me. I had stopped ignoring him but the feeling of him distancing himself away from me continued to exist. That's why I've learned to accept and let go of him. Besides, he was never mine in the first place right?

Only after I had graduated did he come clean to me. He had left me in the dust, already about to debut in a group he says.  Actually, even I had a future planned ahead of me. I was about to submit my application for a university overseas when he came rushing to my side. "Don't leave me," he says pleading. And again my stupidity surfaces.  I came trudging behind his footsteps, leading me to where I am now. Well at least something good came out of it. My passion for singing came walking in on me. I guess for one thing I owe him for that, don’t I now?

Sighing, I drag my stubborn two feet back to the elevators. I shouldn’t be wasting my time playing hooky with Yoseob again. It’s about time I finish the project President Hong assigned to me weeks ago. I press the button to call for the next ascending elevator. While I was waiting, I bite my lip in frustration. The composition project is really stressing me out. Never had it left my mind and even after spending hours of thinking about it, I still haven’t been able to squeeze out a workable idea from my measly thinking bank.

“Jung Eunji!” the annoying voice of Yang Yoseob calls loudly through the lobby. I turn to him, unimpressed.

I hiss at him, “Will you stop shouting my name?!” His eyes widen in surprise and he stops walking as if he was taken aback. I sigh, admitting that I was overreacting. “Sorry,” I mumble.

He smiles after, continuing his way towards me, “What was that?” he asks teasingly, “Can you repeat it again? I didn’t quite hear you.” I roll my eyes, giving him a push.

“Whatever. Take it or leave it,” I say defiantly, “I’m not repeating it again.” And as if on cue, the elevator arrives just on time. I smile, “See you oppa.”  With light footsteps I enter the elevator, only to be reeled back by Yoseob. He pulls on my arm but I insisted, going in the elevator despite him resisting. In the end, we end up tumbling into the elevator, earning a glare from a leaving passenger.

“Oowie…” Yoseob grumbles. I look at him that was pouting. He was holding onto his head and I assume he hit it against the wall in order to prevent both of us from falling. I smile. That’s one thing that never changed about him.

“Come here,” I say calmly. Yoseob peeks over at me and hesitantly moves toward me. I laugh, “It’s ok oppa, I’m not mad anymore.” He keeps his head down, and he moves to me.

With a light hand, I caress the top of his head. Gently, I rubbed over the area he seems to be in pain in. He gasps as I press on it accidentally. I pull away guiltily.

“Mian,” I say to him, “Are you alright?”

Yoseob looks up, showing me his wet deer eyes. Then he secretly lets out a small smile, “Nope,” he teases, “can you kiss it to make it all better?” I laugh as he changes his expression immediately to a pouting one.

“What are you?” I joke with him, “Five years old?”

“Sure,” he grins, “if that’s what it takes for you to kiss me.” I stop laughing realizing what he just said. I let out a smirk, making my way towards him.

“Oppa, are you sure you’re not going to regret this afterwards?” I . His eyes widen in surprise. He puts out his hands in front of him defensively. I take a hold of one and bring it down.

“Y-yah, Eunji-yah,” he stutters, and I struggle to suppress my laugh. He stares at me with wide eyes. That’s when I noticed the elevator’s already stopping.

I smirk, leaning forward. He takes a step backward and just in time the elevator door opens. I laugh as he almost loses balance. “Kyeopta!” I giggle as I ran for a head start to the training rooms. However, soon enough Yoseob has scrambled and was now blocking my path.

“No! You promised me we’ll be spending time together,” he huffs, “you can’t break our promise just because you tricked your way out of me.” He was sulking like a child and I couldn’t help but remember I had reacted that same way when we were back in high school. He’s right. We really haven’t spent much time together. Ever since that project, I’ve always been busy in my free time.

I sigh but he doesn’t look at me still. Aigoo, Prince Yoseob always has to get his way doesn’t he? I hold onto his arm and bent down to see his face. He immediately turns away. “Arrasseo, stop sulking ok?” I smile. He looks at me, a winning smirk on his face. I roll my eyes, I lost again.

“Yey! To the karaoke!” he cheers.