on hold chances.

On Hold Chances.

Kyungsoo woke up to the sound of the rain pitter-pattering against his bedroom window on that particular wet Sunday morning. He blinked a few times, willing the sleep to go away as he turned his head to the side and saw his lover, sleeping soundly next to him. Despite it being the morning, the clouds were dark and he could hear thunder growling in a distance, leaving very little light to their bedroom.

With very little light, Kyungsoo could see his lover’s defined and smooth chest rising and falling softly, to the steady breathing that indicated he was still far away in the land of dreams. There was a small frown on his face and Kyungsoo lifted his hand and used his thumb to caress the frown away. He placed his free hand on top of his lover’s silky hair and lightly and slowly ran his fingers through the locks, wondering when was the last time he was able to do this and when his lover had last touched him intimately.

His chest filled up with something akin to remorse and grief – as it always have been for the past few years. Kyungsoo gazed at his lover, tracing his features lightly with his fingers.

There was a time when his lover was different – in a good way, Kyungsoo recalled. But now, he wondered why he had changed. And it was not for the better either. Kyungsoo remembered how they had first met: it was not love at first sight, rather he fell in love with his personality first and his looks (especially his heart-stopping smile) were an additional bonus that pulled on his heartstrings and made the butterflies in his stomach race.

They were from two different worlds and hung with different cliques but somehow, despite belonging to the not-so-popular but the happiest clique and he belonged to the popular but unhappiest clique, they were like two peas in a pod. They were polar opposites, to put it simply but that was how he wooed him: by insisting that opposites attract.

 

 

“Hi, Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun casually sat in front of the Kyungsoo, pulling the younger man’s music sheets from Kyungsoo’s grasp. Said man’s head shot up and his eyes went wide when he realized that it was Baekhyun, reading his work—

“Give that back, please,” Kyungsoo murmured. As much as he wanted to raise his voice at the older man, they were in the library and Kyungsoo still wanted to finish his work. “Baekhyun-ssi,” Kyungsoo tried to pry the sheets from Baekhyun’s fingers but upon seeing the smirk on said man’s face, Kyungsoo blinked curiously at him.

“I told you I was serious about wanting you to be my partner,” Baekhyun stated as he used his free hand to grasp Kyungsoo’s hand and laced their fingers together, locking Kyungsoo’s hand in his.

Kyungsoo was all shades of hue now as he stared at his hand in Baekhyun’s.

“But other people are more talented than I am,” Kyungsoo sputtered.

Baekhyun blanched and made a face before shaking his head, tightening his hold on Kyungsoo’s hand. “True but your voice fits in mine – like how your hand seems to fit in mine.” Baekhyun winked, causing Kyungsoo to widen his eyes. Baekhyun’s eyes sparkled with mirth. “Lean forward.” He instructed.

Upon sensing the wary look Kyungsoo was giving him, Baekhyun rolled his eyes. “I would not do anything. This,” Baekhyun lifts their hands. “Is already an accomplishment – I am not going to push my luck.” He stated and placed both of their hands on the table. “Lean forward, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo furrowed his eyebrows but did as he was told. Baekhyun smiled to himself before leaning forward; lips brushing against Kyungsoo’s cheeks and his warm breath fanned Kyungsoo’s ear. “And just like I have promised; I have not been looking at any other man – just you. Only you.

Baekhyun leaned back and almost let out a laugh when he saw Kyungsoo turning into a live tomato. “You’re so cute.” Baekhyun muttered and then shook his head. “But I’m cuter – we’d definitely look good together.” He stated as he nodded his head.

 

 

Kyungsoo kissed Baekhyun’s forehead and watched him open his eyes, curiously, sleepily before closing them back, turning his back towards him. Kyungsoo tried to ignore the feeling of something being stabbed into his heart.

“Baekhyun, it’s Sunday,” Kyungsoo murmured quietly, leaning closer towards the older man, cheeks pressed against his back.

“What about it?” Baekhyun asked irritably. Kyungsoo touched his hand and laced their fingers together. He hoped this would do something to relieve his already cracking heart.

“It’s your day off, today, right?” Kyungsoo asked. “I took the day off too,” He stated when he realized Baekhyun was not going to reply to him. His thumb drew small circles on his lover’s hand. It had been a while since he woke up to Baekhyun beside him, instead of cold, empty space. Normally, Kyungsoo would try to stay up for him every night but he would always fall asleep because Baekhyun came home really late.

Kyungsoo tried to ignore the fact that the only reason as to why Baekhyun was on the bed with him – instead of sleeping in the other guest room like he usually does – is because they had a rather tiring fight last night. He liked to think that Baekhyun did what he had done because he loved- loves Kyungsoo.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and frowned when Kyungsoo hovered near him, waiting for his response. When Kyungsoo was about to lean down to give him a kiss, Baekhyun shrugged him off and released the hold he had on his hand, getting up and leaving for the bathroom. He was not going to turn around to see if Kyungsoo was disappointed or not because Baekhyun knew he would be.

Kyungsoo ignored the ping of his heart and slumped on Baekhyun’s side of the bed, pulling the pillow Baekhyun had used into his arms. He gnawed his lips as he buried his face on to the pillow, wondering what he had done wrong. When Baekhyun came out of the bathroom, he headed for his closet, putting on his shirt and pants.

Kyungsoo slowly sat up, placing the pillow on his lap. “Where are you going?” He asked. In the back of his mind, he knew where Baekhyun was going to go. He knew what he wanted – what he had hoped for – was wishful thinking.

“Work; where else would I go?” Baekhyun hisses as he pulled his sweater over his head.

“It’s Sunday, Baek.” Kyungsoo pointed out with a frown.

Baekhyun turned to face Kyungsoo before mockingly imitating what he had just said. “So what about it? Do you expect me to be with you every Sunday?” He asked as he sprayed cologne on himself.

“Yes.” Kyungsoo weakly murmured. Baekhyun let out a small chuckle before shaking his head, making sure his hair was fine before nodding his head at Kyungsoo.

“I would not get any of my work done if I were to sit around and serve you,” Baekhyun shook his head disapprovingly at Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo swallowed the lump on his throat, fighting the urge to say ‘like how I sit around and serve you?’ out loud.

“But you promised you would go tree shopping with me – you did not forget, did you?” Kyungsoo tried – but who was he trying to kid? He knew this too would be shot down fatally.

“It’s a tree – you certainly do not need me to help you choose a freaking tree, Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun all but growled. “I cannot understand why you, for the love of God, would even want a tree – it is such a hassle!” Baekhyun said crossly.

“But it’s our tradition, Baekhyun-ah, we used to do it—“

“Used to, being the keyword, Kyungsoo. I have no time for this, Kyungsoo,” Baekhyun shook his head and walked out of the bedroom. Kyungsoo took a deep breath – Baekhyun does not even kiss him goodbye anymore - and willed himself not to cry because even though he deserved to cry, he will not lose the (already) losing battle. That was another pull to his heart and his already fragile heart was in no condition to endure the cracks anymore.


 


 

BAEKS' corner

Hi, hello!

Should I start with a disclaimer this time around? I own every mistake that you see in the chapter and the ideas that I have incorporated in to the story. It has been quite some time since I have watched the movie so I am not even sure how it actually goes anymore. If anything is familiar, then it must belong to the movie, other than that, it belongs to my brain.

Thank you to those that took their time to give this story a thought because honestly, my summary of the story (or rather the foreword?) was kind of sloppy and short. Huge thank you to those that actually commented! I will always try to make sure I reply all of the comments given!

PS: this will also be posted on my tumblr as well (when it works!) and most probably I will start posting this on livejournal soon too!
It would be nice to know what you think of the chapter!