BFFs

Brought Together Through Confession

 

"EUNHYUUUKK!!!" you screamed.
 
"______!!!!" he yelled back. You ran full speed at him and he wrapped you up in his arms. If you did this in a public place, people probably would have thought that you were a long distance couple reuniting like partners do in the airport, but instead, you had just pulled up to his house in his small new neighborhood. Eunhyuk and you had been friends since elementary school, but due to many family reasons, he moved to a city almost 2 hours away and transferred to a different school before beginning senior year in high school this year. You hadn't seen him since summer, and now it was the last week of December. Going months without your best friend was extremely difficult so when you realized you both had the same 2 weeks off for winter break, Eunhyuk invited you to sleepover and go with him and his family to their cabin in the snow for 5 days. With this opportunity, you knew there was no way you weren't going to go. 
 
"I haven't seen you in so long" he said after letting go of you. 
 
"I know, not since summer! We need to catch up!" you were almost bubbling over with excitement. He smiled his cute gummy smile and helped you with your bags; then for the rest of the day you two hung out at his house.
 ~
The late afternoon turned to evening and then to night as you and Eunhyuk laid down on his trampoline in the backyard looking up at the sky. 
 
"So how's life?" you asked. "Any girls at your new school?"
 
He laughed a little. "Nah, I haven't been talking to any girls."
 
You gasped in mock astonishment. "Lee Hyukjae isn't talking to anyone?? I guess you tuned it down, Playa Playa." You chuckled.  
 
"Hey! I'm not a player." He nudged you. "What about you? Any guys?"
 
"No, you know all the guys at school are jerks."
 
He nodded. You closed your eyes for a second and felt a cool breeze pass by. "Are you tired?" Eunhyuk asked you. 
 
"Yeah, I'm always tired. School's a drag."
 
"I know what you mean. But we just have to get through this year, and then we're out!" 
 
"Yes, that's true; I can't wait until college." 
 
"Yeah" he agreed. 
 
"Did you get homework over break?" 
 
"Yeah but I haven't even taken it out of my backpack yet. I'll do it when we get back from the cabin" he laughed. 
 
"Oh me too. I brought some to do before we leave or on the way up to the snow. We should just do it now and get it over with."
 
"Ughhh" Eunhyuk groaned. 
 
"Come on lazy " you stood up and tried to pull him up with you, but he wouldn't budge and you ended up falling on top of him. 
 
"Oh! Get off me; you gained weight since the last time I saw you" he laughed.
 
"Shut up! You're so mean to me" you said, but you were laughing too. 
 
"I was just kidding! I swear. You're beautiful." He smiled sincerely. 
 
"Gee thanks. Now come do homework with me. Just get it over with." 
 
Eunhyuk groaned again but helped you stand up and followed you into the kitchen. You guys laid out all your books and papers and studied. After an hour and a half you noticed Eunhyuk zoning out at you. 
 
"Why are you staring at me you creeper" you said. 
 
"I'm just taking a break to glance at your pretty face that I missed so much" he replied. 
 
You rolled your eyes. "I forget how cheesy you always are."
 
He chuckled. "I'm tired now. Do you want to sleep? It's already 11:30 and we have to leave early in the morning to drive."
 
"Sure" you said closing your history book. 
 
"All right. I'll set you up on the couch in the living room, if that's okay? Sorry, the guest room is kinda messy."
 
"It's all good" you said and went to the bathroom to change into pajamas and brush your teeth. When you came back, Eunhyuk had your sleeping bag and tons of blankets all set up and ready for you. 
 
"Thanks Hyukkie" you said. 
 
"No problem" he smiled. You snuggled under the blankets and he playfully tucked you in. Before he left the room he said "I'm really happy we get to hang out again ______. I'm so excited, I probably won't even be able to sleep. If you think about it, we're gonna be leaving in just a few hours though, so goodnight." 
 
"I'm excited too!" you said. "Goodnight." Eunhyuk smiled and turned off the light; then quietly climbed the stairs to his own room. 
 
But it hadn't been 15 minutes before you heard him coming back down the stairs. "Are you asleep?" he whispered. 
 
"No, why?"
 
"Come sleep in my room. I feel bad for making you sleep down here, 'cause it gets cold."
 
"It's okay, I'm fine here."
 
"No really, I don't want you to catch a cold before we even get to the snow."
 
"But-"
 
"My parents don't care if you sleep in my room" he read your mind of your concern. "They'd probably like it better 'cause then they know I took care of my guest."
 
"All right" you agreed and gathered up the blankets to take upstairs. 
 
"Just as long as I don't get you preg-"
 
"ert!" you cut him off and shoved him going up the stairs. 
 
"Oh my gosh I'm just kidding" he said rubbing his knee where he fell on it. You both quietly giggled through the hall. 
 
When you got to Eunhyuk's room, you began to messily arrange the blankets on the floor. Eunhyuk got into his bed but pulled the cover off a little more and patted the spot next to him. "Get in" he said. 
 
"What?" you looked at him, surprised. 
 
"Get in" he repeated. "I'm not going to make you sleep on the floor either."
 
"Are you sure-"
 
"Just get in my bed." 
 
"Well geez, you're so demanding" you huffed, but you slid in next to him. 
 
He laughed. "Sorry, that sounded bad. Y'know what I meant."
 
You broke the silence after a minute. "Do you remember that time you told me you have a weird habit of stripping while you sleep? Please don't do that now." You laughed loudly, trying to muffle the noise with the blanket.
 
"Oh my gosh that was like 9th grade how do you even remember that!?" He elbowed you in the dark. 
 
"We're best friends; I remember everything."
 
"So you also remember that time you walked into the boys locker room sophomore year?" It was his turn to try to quiet his laughter. 
 
"It was an accident!" you jabbed your elbow back at him. "I only took like one step in anyways." You both laughed together, reminiscing in the good times. 
 
You sighed happily and looked up at the ceiling. "I love this. Just you and me talking and laughing. I thought things might have changed between us and it would be awkward, but it's like we haven't been separated at all. I guess this is why we're best friends." You sighed again. "I just really like this moments."
 
"Me too" he agreed. "I really missed you when I moved here. I knew you were only a text away, but it wasn't the same. I missed being with you everyday."
 
"I missed you too, Eunhyuk."
 
He took a deep breath. "Okay so this might make it really awkward or really good, but can I confess something?"
 
"Yeah, sure."
 
He swallowed his nervousness. "______, I really like you" he said simply. 
 
"What?" you propped yourself up on your elbow and faced him. 
 
"I like you" he said again. 
 
"Why did you want to tell me that now?" you grinned. 
 
"Well, I've liked you for awhile - way before I moved. But I never got the chance to tell you, and I didn't want to tell you right before I moved because I thought it would complicate things. And I don't know, it's 1 in the morning and you're in my bed - I just thought it was the right moment." He smiled shyly. 
 
"I've always had a thing for you too" you admitted. 
 
"Really?" he said. He was obviously a little more relaxed after you said that and he casually put his arm around you. You cuddled closer to him. 
 
"Yes, really. Being away from you made me realize how much I wanted you as more than a friend."
 
"So I can be your boyfriend?"
 
"Only if I can be your girlfriend."
 
"Well of course you can." You heard a smile in his voice. "Do you think we'll be okay with this long distance though?"
 
"I think so. Nothing ever got in the way of our friendship so I don't think that will change when we're in a relationship."
 
"Good. I don't think anything will change between us either. Except now I get to hold your hand and kiss you whenever I want" he whispered in your ear. 
 
You giggled. "Like when?"
 
"Like right now" he said and he pecked your forehead. "Goodnight, Girlfriend."
 
Girlfriend. You liked the sound of that. 
 
"Goodnight, Boyfriend" you said, and kissed him back on the jaw. 
 
Boyfriend. You liked the sound of that too.