A New Beginning

A Sanguine Winter

 

Her eyes fluttered open slowly to the gentle breeze caressing her cheeks.

She stifled a yawn, her right hand rubbing her eyes as she rolled to the other side of her bed. Propping herself up with one elbow, BoA realizes immediately the changed scenery from her bedroom window. She lets herself down the bed, taking light steps as she reached her slightly ajar window, and with one swift movement, she pushes the window further and found herself gasping.

It was snowing.

 

---

 

Jung Yunho rushes out of the house the moment he woke up, a silly grin on his face as he stuffed his hands into his winter coat. His normally fast movements were stalled by the snow on the ground, but he gave no sign of annoyance at how difficult he had to move to reach the path others had cleared beforehand. He trips then; falling face first onto the soft snow, the cold sensation tickled his face as he pulled himself into a sitting position.

 

“Why are you sitting on snow?” The familiar voice reaches his ears and he immediately turned his head to the direction of the voice.

“BoA,” His face splits into a grin again as he hastily stood up, only to lose his balance and fell back onto the ground. He aimed his grin at the figure standing not too far from him, hoping for one in return.

 

All dressed in her winter clothes, the young lady made her way towards him slowly, her expression unreadable.

 

The past few months have been very rough on her. It has caused the liveliness in her to disappear when her father passed away. A strong front was put when she lost her opportunity to carry out her dream to sing, and when her brothers were sent to boarding schools, the inevitable reality dawned upon her; she was all alone.

Yunho finally managed to pull himself up. He moved two steps forward and halted when he saw the brunette drawing nearer to him, her long locks swaying from side to side. She finally reached his side, promptly reaching out to brush snow off his coat.

 

“Well, it’s snowing.” Yunho stated the obvious, his eyes sparkling.

BoA nodded, keeping mum as she looked at the young man in front of her.

 

Yunho’s grin faltered slightly. How long has it been since she truly smiled? It would be a lie to say that he didn’t miss the smile that reaches into her eyes, or the usually lively Kwon BoA who had been his best friend since they were in elementary.

“It’s finally winter!” He enthusiastically said. “Your favorite season, isn’t it?”

It took a few seconds for BoA to nod, and she gave a rather weak smile before looking away. “It makes me even sadder, actually.”

 

Yunho knew this was coming, although he had tried very hard hoping it might not. Winter reminds BoA of her father, the joy of celebrating Christmas every year, he knows. The hint of loneliness in her eyes gave away the fact that she misses her father, longing to hear his voice and to feel his warmth again.

“Hey,” He softly said, reaching out to touch her face gently. She looked at him upon his touch, her heart skipping beats at the feeling of his hand on her cheek. “Your father would have wanted you to be happy, yknow.”

 

At the mention of that one word, BoA felt tears welling up on her lower eyelids. It took her everything she had to fight back those tears from falling down.  

 

It was difficult, having to live without her pillar. He had always been there for her, comforting and assuring her that everything was going to be alright as well as to give her the support she needed at times.

 

It was going to be the first Christmas without her father, and she wonders how and what she’ll do to get past this season.

 

So when he embraced her into a hug, she responded by hugging him back. The sense of loneliness has been piling in her heart all these time, and it was too much to handle anymore.

 

“Babo,” She heard him say. “You’ll go through this season just fine.”

 “How do you know that?”

Yunho smiled. “Because you’re a strong and independent woman, unique, a little giant—“ BoA couldn’t help but rolled her eyes at his teasing. “—But truly remarkable in your own little ways.”

“You compliment me too much, Yunho.”

“It’s a fact.”

 

BoA couldn’t refrain herself from smiling, still against his chest. She gently broke the contact, flashing the patented smile of hers at the older man. Yunho smiled in return, a wave of happiness crashing over him at the sight of her smiling.

He thought he would never see that smile of hers again. The Kwon BoA he knew, she was slowly coming back to life. She was back, and that was all that matters.

 

“You’re an idiot, yknow?” She said and gently punched him in the arm.

“Gosh, how can someone so tiny be so intimidating?” He teases and received another punch.

“Yah!”

“You’ll always be a little giant, Kwon BoA~” Yunho said in a singsong voice before running away to avoid her rage.

"You're so dead, Jung Yunho!"

 

 

There was one thing BoA never was though,

“I’m here for you, okay?”

She was never alone.

 

--