a time or ten

a time or ten

 

It looked, to Baekhyun, like Chanyeol was sleeping. 

 

He wasn't surprised, though. They'd had a full day: schedules, a flight home, a never-ending throng of fans waiting to capture every breath with cameras bigger than they were, and then dinner out with some of the seniors in the company-- and it was always a good time, laughing with friends, relaxing, eating barbecue and drinking alcohol from plain glasses with mixers that easily hid the contents (but never, ever too much, just enough for a light buzz.) 

 

And then, for Baekhyun, a game of Uno with Jongin and Sehun that Chanyeol had, with a yawn, ducked out on.

 

Once it was over and Sehun declared the winner, Baekhyun retreated to his room, his belongings in hand so he wouldn't get into trouble with Junmyeon for leaving his things strewn about-- which had happened before a time or ten. 

 

He tried to be quiet as he set his bag down inside the door of their shared room, but it sounded like it was full of bricks as he did; slipped his shoes off, except the laces wouldn't come undone and he swore as he yanked one of his heavy boots off and it landed against his bed frame; and finally headed to the bathroom to wash the light layer of makeup he could never get away from off his face, double-checking that Chanyeol was still asleep. 

 

His eyes were still closed, so there was that. Baekhyun couldn't help but smile, passing that odd twist he felt in his stomach off as still having a bit of alcohol in his bloodstream, as he turned into the bathroom and the tap.

 

He had just taken his last contact out when steam started to rise from the sink and he looked up, expecting to see himself but instead seeing himself-- and Chanyeol's fuzzy reflection standing behind him. He didn't even think to jump or look startled. This had also happened before, a time or ten. 

 

He had, after all, left the door open.

 

"Sorry," he apologized with a smile. He really hadn't meant to wake his friend, but the way Chanyeol had wrapped his arms around Baekhyun's waist said that maybe he hadn't been too asleep after all: He was still very much in skinship-mode.

 

"Need help?" Chanyeol asked, bending down to rest his chin on Baekhyun's shoulder, a feat that took a little more bending than usual with both of them barefoot. Baekhyun was easily four centimeters shorter this way.

 

"Washing my face?" This question had not happened one time, nor ten. "I- well. I think I can handle it?" Baekhyun replied with a laugh which died a little when he saw Chanyeol pout. 

 

"But if you really want to…" he added, watching his roommate visibly perk up and grab a clean cloth from the basket on the counter, running it under the steaming water.

 

"Mm. I really want to," Chanyeol said jovially, bounding the one step to stand next to Baekhyun. 

 

It was clear to Baekhyun now that he'd only been pretending to sleep. He felt a hand on his shoulder, pushing him to face his roommate. "Turn this way, so I can see you better!"

 

Baekhyun did and closed his eyes as the warm, wet cloth his face gently and maybe, he thought, affectionately? 

 

He'd definitely be declining the drinks next time they were offered to him. 

 

Chanyeol started first at his cheeks, then his forehead, always with enough pressure to remove the makeup without scrubbing. He pouted when it all stopped, and opened his eyes, confused, only to see Chanyeol rinsing the cloth.

 

"What- no, close your eyes again," Baekhyun was told as the resumed, "I had to put fresh water on it."

 

Baekhyun hummed a little, propping himself up on the counter as Chanyeol diligently washed his face for him. It turned out, Baekhyun noticed, that having someone wash his face for him after such a long day was rather nice.

 

"Maybe I should let you do this all the time," he said, blissed out and eyes still closed as Chanyeol reached his nose, then his chin. 

 

"Maybe you should," Chanyeol murmured in agreement, freshening the cloth again before gently swiping at the soft skin above Baekhyun's lips, first with the cloth then, after a beat, with his own lips once, twice. 

 

Baekhyun's eyes flew open, meeting a blushing and embarrassed-looking Chanyeol. 

 

"I-- sorry," Chanyeol said softly, looking down and away, moving to rinse the cloth again for anything to do but face what he'd just done-- no matter how nice it was.

 

"Wh-why?" Baekhyun stammered, unable to think of anything else, reaching out to stop Chanyeol from rinsing the cloth.

 

Chanyeol sheepishly looked back at him, biting at his bottom lip. "You… you have a freckle," he said, looking back at the spot, and when Baekhyun didn't move, he hesitantly reached up and tapped the spot, just above the older boy's lip. "Here. …It's cute." 

 

Despite his confusion, his racing heart, and his relative inability to comprehend anything except Chanyeol Kissed Me, Baekhyun's hand reached out to Chanyeol's, lightly squeezing the fingers that had just tapped his mouth. He tugged a little, urging Chanyeol to bend lower. 

 

The twisting had returned, but this time instead of pushing it away, blaming it on anything other than what it was, he understood why it had been there. His cheeks flushed and a smile tugged at his lips.

 

He wanted Chanyeol to kiss him again. He'd realize later that he'd wanted this to happen for a long time. Or ten.

 

"Show me again?" Baekhyun requested quietly. 

 

A surprised Chanyeol could only comply.