budge

budge

 

Two things occurred to Junmyeon as he woke up on the sofa in his dormitory: he was still achy (and now stiff) from the day's schedule and he was cold-- no, damn near frozen-- from the quickly dropping November temperatures seeping in through the walls. A glance at the clock on the DVR below the TV showed 23:01. …And, stupidly, he'd been asleep since dinner on said sofa, covered with nothing but the hoodie and sweat pants he'd put on when they'd arrived home from being out and busy all day. It was hardly enough while he was moving to be dressed in only sweats so to be idle in that state of dress could only mean impending hypothermia. 

 

Stretching awkwardly to make sure his hoodie didn't raise up and expose his stomach to the cold air, Junmyeon forced himself up and padded his way toward his shared room, hoping that it would be more comfortable and much, much warmer than the sofa he'd been previously occupying.

 

He pulled his hoodie sleeves down over his hands and wished for someone to magically grant him another pair of socks on his feet as he passed by Jongin in the hall, the younger boy dressed only in a tank top and a pair of shorts. He tried to manage a smile as he came up to him, and not let the 'aren't you freezing?!' that was currently crossing his mind also cross his face. 

 

It didn't work.

 

"It's, like, almost eighty degrees in here, hyung," Jongin said quietly, recognizing that look with relative ease since he got it a lot, rubbing his leader's shoulder as he walked by.

 

Junmyeon knew what the temperature was. He'd passed the thermostat on the corner with its large, taunting digital numbers and sighed. Seventy-eight degrees should be plenty for anyone in the middle of November, but he'd never been warm-natured, and all the hard work he'd been putting in lately to memorize their newest choreography only made him feel more chilled. 

 

After a smile and nod of acknowledgement at Jongin, he stepped around the corner to the room he shared with Sehun where he stopped suddenly, his heart sinking. He tried hard to not let that cross his face either, but the disappointment was too great.

 

The window was open.

 

"Sehun-ah, no," he said quietly, pleading with his eyes as he crossed over to the window and started to push it closed, but was stopped by a pair of strong arms.

 

"Hyung, no, it's so warm in here!" Sehun practically whined, grabbing his leader's arms. "Please let me have it open!"

 

"I'm s-shivering, Sehun-ah," Junmyeon said, giving Sehun the most pitiful look he could muster-- and it wasn't difficult to muster looking pitiful at a time like this. His fingertips were barely showing through his sleeves and his hood had been pulled low over his face in a feeble attempt to fight off the cold.

 

"You have more blankets than anyone, can't you use them?" Sehun asked, the look not fazing him in the slightest. "It's only cracked, it's not even open all the way." He pointed at it, as if that would make his leader understand.

 

"Blankets don't help if there's nothing warm under them," Junmyeon countered, on the verge of pouting or using aegyo-- anything to make Sehun cave.

 

"Hyung, you're not that cold," Sehun said dryly. "You can bundle up, but I can't take much more off!"

 

"Please, just-- let's keep it shut for tonight? Please?" Junmyeon wasn't below begging when he was sure his teeth were about to start chattering.

 

Sehun shook his head. "No way, hyung. Remember what Jongin said? It's like a sauna in here to the rest of us!"

 

Junmyeon knew he'd lost as soon as he set foot in the room, but he was now entirely too cold to keep fighting this battle. 

 

"Fine." 

 

Junmyeon sounded more defeated than annoyed.

 

He walked back to his bed and climbed in it, wrapping his three blankets and a thick duvet around him as he curled into his too-cold sheets and pillow, not even bothering to put pajamas on. Pajamas, after all, meant taking off what clothing he had on, only to replace it with his even colder pajamas. 

 

He shut his eyes tight and sighed, resigning himself to another cold night. He was frustrated-- beyond frustrated-- and the blankets weren't working like he knew they wouldn't in the first place and he wished more than anything for a hot water bottle or a heating pad or something, anything, to warm his chilled bones.

 

It was enough, really, to make him want to cry but he wouldn't dream of it, at least not in front of Sehun. He turned to face the wall, away from his roommate, and steeled himself, a strong shiver coming over him. He heard Sehun laugh quietly and whisper something in what sounded like his broken version of Chinese and then the locking sound of his iPad, then the click of the lamp shutting off and it was dark save for moonlight seeping in through the open window.

 

What he missed was the sound of Sehun tiptoeing across the room, stopping just short of his bed.

 

"Hyung?" he heard suddenly at his back, the voice a lot closer than he'd expected it to be. He hummed out a response, but only after tugging his blankets tighter over his body. He wasn't sure what Sehun could possibly want with him, a leader rendered useless with a body temperature of -10 degrees. 

 

"Hyung, budge over," Sehun said, prodding at his shoulder. It almost hurt considering how cold he was and how tense he was from being curled into a ball. 

 

"Se-sehun, not now, I-I really want to warm up," he managed, shaking his head. The spot he'd been occupying for the past few minutes he was sure had increased in temperature at least two degrees. There was no way he was moving with such progress being made in his warmth. "I- I'll be ok soon."

 

"Hyung," Sehun insisted, and Junmyeon felt a dip on his bed where Sehun had pressed his knee into it. He whimpered at the loss of stability under him and the fact that he seemed to have rolled two inches to the left onto a Very Cold Spot. Hypothermia again seemed like a legitimate concern. "Budge or I'll budge you."

 

Junmyeon twisted his head to look at Sehun, who waved his hands impatiently, wordlessly telling him to move over.

 

He sighed, wondering what he had done that day to deserve this treatment, and did so… only for Sehun to lift up his blankets. 

 

"YAH!" he said in surprise, offended and hurt that his roommate would do this to him. But before he could protest further, Sehun climbed into his bed and wrapped his arms around him, spooning him from behind and tucking Junmyeon's hoodied head under his chin.

 

"Oh. Oh, you're so warm," Junmyeon said, relief washing over him. Sehun's presence under his layers of blankets felt like he'd won his own personal furnace, one he was not at all embarrassed at this point to cuddle up against. He did his best to flip over and tucked his face and hands against Sehun's warm chest.

 

"You said something warm has to be under the blankets for them to work," Sehun reminded him.

 

Junmyeon couldn't help but chuckle, he was so elated at having a source of heat that was even warmer than it should have been since it had just taken a shower. 

 

A beat, then Sehun started to rub his back. "Sorry hyung, I really didn't think you were that cold," he said, what felt like icicles tangling themselves in his thin t-shirt.

 

It was past Junmyeon to be offended at Sehun's implication that he was lying so he just shook his head. "This is more than enough apology," he said, voice muffled, all edge lost as he relaxed. Sehun's hands on his back, rubbing up and down over and over were only helping him thaw into a sleepy lump of Junmyeon. "Stay here all night, please," he said, sort of teasing, but mostly not.

 

"Sure, hyung," Sehun said with a smile evident in his voice. He would be fine so long as his face and feet were outside of the blankets, and he thought it was nice to have something (or someone) other than his body pillow to hold while he slept… even if it was his hyung. Plus, he thought, maybe he wouldn't have to help clean tomorrow if he could remind him how much he'd helped the night before. The thought brought a wide grin to his face, just as he noticed a few minutes later that Junmyeon's breathing had evened out. He was definitely asleep. 

Sehun smiled, and closed his own eyes.

 

"Goodnight, hyung."