Almost

Almost

I miss the times that we almost shared

What happened to us? We were almost there

Whoever said it's impossible to miss what you never had

Never almost had you...

 

A fitting song, you think. Heartbreaking, but it fits. It captures so perfectly what you feel, putting into words what you cannot – will not – say.

You lie on your bed, pillow clutched to your chest, reminiscing about times long past. How naïve you'd been back then. So young and unbroken and so, so inexperienced. You were, by all rights, just a slip of a girl who was still trying to find herself in an industry that way too big.

All that changed. Because you met him.

Everything's still so clear – the late nights, the shy smiles, and the hesitant hellos. You still remember how your heart lifted at the mere sight of him and how easily he made you smile. You remember how you had so stupidly thought it would all last.


But happy endings don't exist in your world. Your heart clenches as you remember how quickly it all ended – no, ended isn't the right word. Because endings signify an abrupt stop. The clang of the gate as it bangs shut. The snip of the scissors as it cuts the cloth. It would have been so much easier if it had ended. But no. It crumbled. Like an old wall too weak to support itself. And as you looked through the rubble, all you could find was your own broken heart.

Your heart clenches as you remember, the memories running through your head like a movie on fast forward. It doesn't have a happy ending. It could have had one. But it didn't. That knowledge pains you the most, you realize. The knowledge that you could have had something – something more than what you thought you had. Because you know it could have been so much more. It wasn't love – not yet – but it could have been.

You'll never know now, you think. You and him – you're never going to be an us.

Just…an almost.

 


 

I didn't name them because I liked the anonymity it gave to the characters. It also gives the readers' imaginations more leeway and I find that it's a tad more personal this way.

However, I used Jonghyun and Jessica for the tags because this couple always comes to mind whenever I think of the word 'almost'. Yes, you can tell I'm a hardcore JongSica shipper. Hihi.

Comments and criticisms would be appreciated~ and I'd love to hear who you thought of while reading this! (: