The Ring

The Ring
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

In the midst of negotiations between the wind and water clans, the clouds parted revealing the king sun surrounded by a ring of light. It has been foretold that the halo around the sun is a sign of God’s blessing, thereby, marking the end of the century long dispute between the warring clans. To further strengthen the covenant, a son and a daughter from the wind and water clans would be united in marriage. Gathering all skilled artisans and masons, two rings were forged from the wind clan’s royal sceptre and water clan’s regal chalice. Only the chosen couple are allowed to wear the rings and upon them is the main task of keeping the peace between the clans.

Fifty years passed and both clans lived in harmony. However, the rings that bear the promise of peace became a symbol of power and authority as the ring bearers and their family acquired great wealth and held important positions. At the time, a certain boy from the wind clan was complaining about the strenuous mental and physical training they were putting him through. Being the first born son in the house of Kazehaya, he was appointed as the successor of the ring by the council of elders. Still a child, immature and hard headed, he never wanted any of it. While other kids his age were playing freely outside, he was locked in the confines of their mansion, as the greatest teachers groomed him to be the next ring bearer. 

He wanted adventure and excitement, so while his teachers and guards weren’t looking, the boy sneaked out one afternoon to have a taste of freedom. Running through the woods, he finally reached the river that once separated the water and wind clans. It was now connected by a bridge as a sign of their friendship. However, despite being the successor of the ring, he had never gone to the water country. What lies beyond the river always piqued his interests. 

As he was about to cross the bridge, he heard a rustle from the bushes. Cautious, he stood his ground and waited for what would happen next. Minutes later, he heard a voice calling a name from the other side. A little puppy barked as it squeezed its way out while a girl emerged out of the trees. Leaves were sticking out of her braided hair and her blue yukata was covered with dirt. Amused, the boy darted across the bridge and greeted the girl in the friendliest way he could. A bit startled by his sudden appearance, the girl combed strands of her hair with her hand and brushed off the dirt on her dress. In doing so, her necklace dangled in front of her. On it was a ring with a blue sapphire gemstone, the exact replica of his ring except that his has a diamond.



“And I’ll end at this part. Let’s continue with the storytelling next week,” he chuckled humorously while my classmates groaned as the bell sounded the end of our class. Takashi-sensei, our homeroom adviser, was telling us the third instalment of his water-and-wind-clan story, and I am amused on how engrossed my classmates were. We are middle-schoolers for crying out loud. I don’t know about the boys, but for the girls it was all about sensei. 

At 23 years, Takashi Shouta-sensei is the newest and youngest addition to the faculty. The smart, kind and charming math teacher instantly became the most popular guy in school. 

As we were walking towards the school gate, Midori-chan whined. “I don’t care if school is over. I would gladly stay to find out what happens next. I’m sure she is his future wife.”

“Good, now you don’t need to listen to the rest of the story,” I retorted casually, knowing full well that Midori only wants to spend more time with sensei but more than that, I loved teasing them. 

“Bu-but…” 

“He’ll fall in love with her and will find meaning in his training. The wind boy will do his best to prove his worth as the successor. Their love will blossom but fate won’t be too kind on them. On the day of their engagement ceremony, the water girl will be stripped off her right as the ring bearer because of the arrival of her uncle’s so-called daughter. Only the daughter of the first born son has the right to wear the ring. Water girl runs away, wind boy goes after her, water girl breaks it off with him, followed by all the drama. The end."

I must have been a really good story teller for they gaped and stared at me dumbfounded. Next thing I know, Midori was shaking my shoulders while the others bombarded me with questions.

“How’d you know the story?”

“What’s the name of the book?”

“Is it in the school library?”

There is no book, for it is the real story of Takashi-sensei and my Kasumi-neechan. Seriously, that guy still hopelessly loved my sister. It has been two years since their break-up and clearly, he hasn’t gotten over her. I bet, he had replayed all those moments with her over and over, to the point that his mind even made up a fictional story, thus the birth of the water-and-wind-clan stories. It was so obvious that he is the wind boy from his first name which means, to soar. Oneechan is water girl because our family name is Shimizudani. Shimizu means pure water.

Their marriage was decided long before their birth to merge our families’ companies. They say it was truly a match made in heaven. He was the prince in school, excelling both in academics and sports while she was the smart and understanding student council president. 

“Tell us!!”

Please log in to read the full chapter