Secret Santa's Gift

Secret Santa's Gift
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The little golden bells tinkle above her as she enters BookKeeper's. It is already past eight o'clock and the closed sign is still up. The day has arrived and she can't help but smile at the sight before her. Boxes upon boxes filled with wrapped gifts are stacked and placed side by side, occupying the left side wall of the store.

 

Finally, all books are wrapped and are ready for the Big Day - all three hundred of them. The staff at BookKeeper's took turns in wrapping and assisting customers for almost three weeks. Never has she wrapped so many gifts in her entire life; never has she seen so many gifts to be given away. And never did she expect her employer or any other person capable of such generosity when they don't really have that many customers and the book sales were just average on good days.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Campbell managed their shop well, treating everyone with such warmth and kindess, making the bookstore a welcoming haven. It is never about the business with them. This is what endeared them to her. And she didn't think twice working part time at the store. The old couple, she discovered, are also full of surprises, like children who are always in pursuit of fun. There is no such thing as dull or boring at BookKeeper's.

 

Despite what she has experienced in her six months, she was still surprised to see a lot of people outside the store on the first day of December. By some of creative genius, the humble bookstore transformed itself into a Christmas Wonderland. Classic Christmas songs set the festive mood, playing non-stop inside the store. Numerous golden and silver stars hung from the ceiling, the largest and brightest directly above The Nativity set by the display window. Surrounding walls were lined with ribbons, lights, glittered balls and wreaths. The wall behind the cash register has the greeting 'Merry Christmas' plastered on it. Book shelves were also decked with poinsettias and rearranged to accommodate a Christmas tree in the middle. The evergreen tree is adorned with little books and lights; and the couple added little frames with their photos on it -hers being the latest addition- making it all the more special.

 

Special. She looks around her once again, drinking in the sight with such wonder, like the first time. This Christmas is indeed special.

 

Her gaze drops to the bottom of the tree. As expected, the space is empty. Mr. Tobias is doing a good job keeping their Secret Santas, secret. He is the one who keeps and places their gifts at the tree and the staff are cooperative enough not to ruin the surprise. Apparently, the Secret Santa event is the highlight of the BookKeeper's Annual Christmas Party. Everyone is excited about it. And much to her chagrin, no one dare spoil her the details.

 

So far, her Secret Santa -whoever he/she is- has not failed her. Yet. But she has accumulated quite a number of mugs and towels taken from clearance racks over the years to even expect much. Not that she is ungrateful. It is just that she treats it a game with rules - oftentimes, just one: how much the gift should cost. When you give, you will receive. Equivalent exchange. But her previous Secret Santas failed to understand that concept. All she asked for is to receive a gift with the same worth she has given. "Is that too much to ask?" she often complained. 

 

But this season started differently for her. Far different and more wonderful from what she experienced all throughout the years. She hopes it continues that way. 

 

"Oh there you are child." Mrs. Seong Ji's motherly voice takes her out of her reverie. She looks so elegant in her red and green hanbok, with her graying hair pinned beautifully at the back of her head. She approaches her and takes her hands in hers. Smiling, she says, "Merry Christmas."

 

"Merry Christmas, halmeoni. I wasn't able to help you yesterday. I'm sorry," she replies, lowering her head in a polite bow.

 

"Hush," the gentle, old woman shushes her in a tone that offered no rebuke. "You have done more than what we have asked of you. Are you excited?"

 

Her gaze slides back to the bottom of the tree. "As excited as I can be."

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

She often thought that if she didn't expect, she won't be disappointed. But the bright eyes looking back at her are sending shafts of pain straight to her heart. How can anyone not want them -these little angels so pure and innocent? It hurts to think how many times they prayed and expected for a family but still found themselves alone and wanting. Her disappointment and worries seemed so little at the moment.

 

"Noona," a toddler calls her attention and holds her hand. "Can we play now?" His little brown eyes stares imploringly at her. 

 

She looks back over her shoulder and the tech gives her a thumbs up. "Of course," she beams and guides them inside the inflated ballpool. The last thing she would want them to feel from her is pity.

 

In seconds, squeals and laughter ring loudly in her ears and she can't help but join them -diving and swimming in a sea of colorful balls.

 

This is another one of Mr. and Mrs. Campbell's surprises. She thought they were only delivering gifts. The act in itself is already fulfilling; it is as if she is the one giving away the gifts. But here they were in their last stop, along with their families, having fun with the children at You Are Loved orphanage. And she can't think of any better place to spend her Christmas. She felt such purpose and accomplishment at that moment and she owed it to her employers for the opportunity.

 

They set up playpens -slides, swings and tunnels - for the littlest ones. They made it quite difficult with them hovering and watching eagerly, as they tried to reign in their patience -which wasn't so much. The older kids also have their playground - a circular arena where they can ride bicycles and cars. It isn't snowing but it is still cold. The kids didn't care though. Looking at their smiling faces, they would have a hard time getting them to participate in games or eat their food.

 

But Mr. Tobias is prepared for that.

 

Can she handle more surprises? She'd better. If the glint in his eyes is an indication, jolly but not that old St. Tobias has more in store under his red sleeves.

 

"Hohoho!" he goes, jiggling his bells and all the children came running towards the makeshift stage. On cue, Santa's elves appear with trays of food. Her laughter can't be any louder as she recognized her co-workers, their families and her parents parading in green. She swings her gaze back to the stage, just in time to catch Mr. Tobias wink at her.

 

To say that she is excited is the understatement of 2012. 

 

Oh, I'm ready. Bring it on haraboji.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Did she say she was ready? No one in his sane mind could ever be ready to see what she is seeing right now. She doesn't need a mirror. She knows she is blushing like there is no tomorrow and her lips are stretched so wide it should hurt but it doesn't.

 

This can't be a dream. Please. If it is, don't wake me up yet.

 

On stage, the cutest and most handsome elves ever despite their silly costumes are shaking, bumping, jumping, running and dancing to the beat of Christmas song remixes.

 

The kids are having a blast and she is about to explode. This has got to be the biggest surprise. She doesn't know how or why or even care. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have fulfilled her wish. When they asked them to write on a piece of paper what gift they want for Christmas, she didn't give it much thought. Besides, there is no way for it to be granted given her circumstances in life.

 

EXO is but a faraway dream.

 

And yet there they were in the flesh, giving and sharing the joy of Christmas to the kids and every one of them. Their smiles and laughter are just too real. It is just so overwhelming she didn't dare ruin the moment by taking a video or photo. This is their gift for the kids. And it would remain that way. She just had to capture every moment in her heart and mind.

 

All of a sudden her concept of equivalent exchange no longer applies. She has received much, much more than what she has given. But this isn't the Secret Santa's Gift Exchange event, her negative nagging self argues. Equivalent exchange should be followed.

 

I don't care about that anymore. This is more than enough, she counters, shoving her other thoughts aside.

 

Their time ended too soon and she wanted an encore. The kids felt the same way. But before her ugly crazy fangirl self makes itself known, she stops herself just in time.

 

"Kids, let us say thank you," she announces and fortunately this time, they listen.

 

"Kamsahamnida," they say in chorus, bowing their little heads. To which, the members responded with smiles and waves.

 

They deserve to have their rest and spend the remaining hours with their family. She can

Please log in to read the full chapter