Chapter 1

K-Pop Fantasy: K-Pop Idol Academy

 

Chapter 1

Summer 2027

            “Noona neomu yeppeo…Michyeo…Replay replay replay”

            “Wow! Good job guys! Jonghyun oppa, Keep it up!”, I said complementing Shinee’s main vocalist. “Key oppa! See you tonight! Minho oppa are you going as well?”, I asked the two other equally good looking members.

            “Ne!”, they answered in unison. I was just happy being friends with these boys.

            “Annyeong Elle ssi!”, Jiyong oppa greeted as soon as I stepped out of Shinee’s dance studio.

            “Oppaaaa!!!”, I screamed as I ran towards this gorgeous freak of nature standing in front of me to give him a hug.

            “Not so fast!”, a man’s voice from behind said as he grabbed me from my back and carried me on his shoulders. I couldn’t see his face, but the significant mint hair told me it was T.O.P oppa.

            “Oppa! Michyeo gunyo (You’re crazy)! Let go of me!”, I said childishly begging the tall oppa to get me down to the floor.

            “Aist! Dongsaeng! Let go of the kid!”, another familiar voice said from behind. T.O.P oppa turned around and it was Donghae oppa.

            Wow! Shinee then Big Bang…now Super Junior!? God I must be lucky!

            “If you say so hyung!”, T.O.P oppa said as he literally let me go throwing me off his shoulders.

            “KYAAAA!!!”, I screamed as I was about to hit the floor.

            “Oops! Caught you! I guess you owe me your life now”, Nickhun oppa said following it with a wink.

            His wink never failed to brighten my day.

            “Elle ssi! Lee Soo Man sunbaenim wants to see you in his office!”, Taeyeon unnie said peeping through one of the many doors in the long hallway of the *ONE Entertainment Building.

            What could it be about? Probably we’ll discuss my debut as a solo artist!!!

            “Elle…”, Lee Soo Man sunbaenim said in his usual relaxed and slow voice.

            “Ne, sunbaenim?”, I answered with a smile.

            “I hate to be the bearer of bad new, but…”, he paused probably hesitant to say the bad news.

            “…you’re oppa and omma died yesterday in a plane crash…”

            “Oppa! Omma!”

            “Aist! Another bad dream Elle ssi?”, omma said as she continued folding my clothes and fixing them neatly inside my closet.

            Without saying a word I ran towards her to give her a hug. I hugged her like there was no tomorrow.

            “Where’s oppa, omma?”, I asked.

            With a shock expression on her face she answered “Downstairs talking to your dongsaeng”

            I rushed down. I caught oppa scolding Sang Hoon, my dongsaeng or younger brother. Without any introduction I ran towards my oppa and gave him a hug as tight as the one I gave my mom earlier.

            “Oppa! Saranghaeyeo!”, I said in a high tone as I kissed him on the cheeks as many times as I could.

            He gave me the same shocked expression as my omma did a while ago and jokingly asked “Do you need anything from me, Elle ssi?”

            “Anneyeo, oppa!”, I answered resembling a kid annoyed by her friend’s joke.

            “Ok. So what was the kiss for?”, he asked.

            “I bet she DOES need something, oppa!”, Sang Hoon butted in.

            “You be quiet young man! I’m not done with you!”, father exclaimed.

            I stuck out my tongue to Sang Hoon and while father wasn’t looking.

            “Elle ssi!”, omma said from behind.

            I immediately retracted my tongue and clipped both my hands behind my back.

            “Omma?”, oppa inquired. Oppa calls omma, “omma” as his term of endearment to her.

            “Neh, oppa?”, she answered.

            “Did Elle ssi do something wrong today?”, oppa joked yet again. My father was the type of person who could always make anyone’s day bright with his smile and his jokes. To see my father sad was a rare sight and those rare times would really soften my heart and make me tear up.

            “Not that I remember, oppa. Why?”, she added jokingly.

            “Ehhhhhh!!!”, I ranted in protest. “What’s wrong with me being sweet today?”, I said cheekily doing a buing buing afterwards.

            “Yuck!”, Sang Hoon said annoyed with what I just did.

            “Come here you!!!”, I angrily said as I chased my dongsaeng around our middle sized house. We weren’t rich, but we weren’t poor. Our house was definitely enough for us and provided us with everything we needed. My oppa is a lawyer and he has his own firm and our omma was a k-pop idol during her teens, but chose to be a housewife as soon as she gave birth to me. My omma would always tell me stories about the time when she was with her group Girl’s Generation. I was fascinated with the music industry at an early age and was starting to hone my musical abilities at the tender age of four by joining singing contests and enrolling in workshops and professional classes.

            “Elle ssi, stop chasing your brother and help me prepare dinner”, omma said cutting me and my dongsaeng’s usual cat and mouse chase.

            “Ok omma”, I answered. “I’ll get you later!”, I threatened my brother kiddingly.

            “Start setting the table Elle ssi. I’m almost done cooking the meats.”

            “Alright omma”, I said as I got the plates and the chopsticks and walked my way to the dining room.

            I set the four square shaped plates on the table and placed a pair of steel chopsticks on top of each plate. After setting the table I stopped and started sniffing the heavenly aroma that was omma’s cooking. Omma’s cooking never failed to get me even hungrier than I was. I continued sniffing the gastronomic scent when something caught my attention.

            It was something from the television.

            Being a computer geek veers me from watching the television. After school I’d rather sulk in isolation facing the computer while watching k-pop videos on YouTube or listening to k-pop music in my iPod. My world basically revolves around gadgets besides the television and k-pop. So for something from the television to catch my attention was something new.

            “We want you! Help save k-pop! Together let us create a new wave! Hallyu Wave 2.0! Hwaiting!”. It was JiYong oppa. He aged handsomely. My mom had pictures with him and other idols during their rehearsals for their joint concerts during their prime. But what does he want? What does he mean “Help save k-pop?”. I wasn’t good with figuring these things out. So for the next few days I glued my eyes to the television and patiently waited for that commercial to come out. Waiting for a single commercial you want to watch badly really does test your patience.

            “Ugh! Not the news!”, I said annoyed with the news coming out instead of JiYong oppa’s commercial.

            I was about to get water from the kitchen when something from the television stopped me yet again.

            “We have Kwon Jiyong later to talk about the move to save Korea’s crumbling music industry”, the announcer said.

            Korea’s music industry was indeed crumbling. I found myself listening to more old k-pop songs, circa 2006-2012, rather than listening to recent k-pop songs. After getting water I sat back down and did not dare move from my seat. I waited and waited until JiYong oppa’s interview came on       

            Finally.

            “Now we are very honored to have with us music legend and fashion icon Kwon JiYong sunbaenim”, the announcer introduced.

            “KYAAAA!!! Oppa meotjin-ah!!!”, I squealed. I turned my head towards my oppa and he had one eyebrow raised, to which I only managed to giggle as my reply.

            “So what exactly is K-Pop Idol Academy Jiyong ssi?”

            “It’s a new reality show where we get idol hopefuls from all over the world and mold them to promising talents. Not to boast, but we want them to be like the idols during my time.”

            “I won’t argue with that Jiyong ssi”, the announcer said in agreement.

            “Go ahead and plug K-Pop Idol Academy Jiyong ssi”

            “Anneyeong! This is G-Dragon…”

            WOW!!! When he said G-Dragon it was like the old days. Watching old YouTube videos of him rapping his heart out during concerts and music videos made me realize how I love k-pop so much. K-pop, unlike other genres, is full of life and is so viral that once you start listening to it there’s no escaping it.

            “Do you want to be an idol? K-pop Idol Academy is here to fulfill that dream of yours! K-Pop Idol Academy is the only place where idols like Taeyeon from Girl’s Generation will teach you how to sing, Eunhyuk from Super Junior will teach you how to dance, and Nickhun from 2pm will teach you how to be an idol…”

God! Those names sounded like heaven to my ears. They were like gods and goddesses to me. If I could only form a cult and adore them 24/7 I would have done it many many years ago.

“So what are you waiting for? Visit our website which will be flashed on your screens right now and audition for K-Pop Star Acade…”

What just happened? Who turned the television off?

When I turned around I saw my mom set the remote on the couch and walked away.

“Omma!”, I called.

‘I know what this is about. And “no” is the answer”

Denied as early as now? But to be an idol was my dream. I thought she supported me, heck she even brought me to workshops and enrolled me in voice and dance lessons to hone my skills. And I thought the stories she told me about her group before was her way of luring me to becoming a k-pop idol? So what’s up with omma not allowing me to enter the academy?

That night I couldn’t sleep still considering the thought of auditioning for K-Pop Idol Academy. I tried every single position and sleep was to no avail. I tossed and turned my physically drained body the whole night, but I couldn’t find a position for me to get a much needed good night’s rest. Thank god it was summer break and I had all morning tomorrow to sleep if I needed to. I’ve counted countless herds of sheep, but still I couldn’t get myself to sleep.

“Is this the new practice room”, Yoona unnie inquired as she saw me sitting down the floor of the newly renovated practice room.

Wow! She really is beautiful!

“Yoona! What took you so long? Let’s grab a snack downstairs”, Jessica unnie said from behind.

“Wait I’ll join you guys!!! I’m almost done with my shoes!!!”, C.L. unnie said in her distinct voice as she tied her shoe laces from inside one of the dressing rooms.

They all went downstairs and I went outside to explore the ONE Entertainment Building.  Two familiar beautiful voices resonated through the corridor of the building, so I just had to follow it.

It was Kyuhyun oppa and Daesung oppa singing parts from Mr. Simple. I peeped through the room and Youngbae oppa was playing the piano as Jiyong oppa listened from across the room. They slowed the tempo down which made the song sound like a ballad instead of an upbeat pop song.

“Ije keokjeong hajima ap-en choo-eun nari ulkeoya Shimgakan aekin da dwiro Mirwodugo”, Kyuhyun oppa sang.

“Oneur-eun barke useobwa keuddae-wi hwanhan useum-e modu kibon choha-chyeo”, Daesung oppa followed.

The song sounded different in a good way. It was nice seeing members of different groups from different recording labels working together and performing each other’s songs.

“WOW!!!”, I just thought to myself.

“What do you mean “wow!”. I’m so much better than that Elle ssi”, Seungri oppa said from behind. Why do these idols keep coming from behind me. Why can’t they just wait for me to actually face them?

“Oh! That was nothing, oppa! I better go back to the practice studio”, I said as I waved goodbye to Seungri oppa.

“Annyeong!”, Jokwon oppa, Seulong oppa, and Jinwoon oppa said in unison.

“Annyeong oppa!”, I greeted back bowing 90 degrees.

From outside the practice room I can hear music playing. Someone has been using the practice room before me. I opened the door and to my surprise it was Gyuri unnie and Hara unnie practicing their famous hip dance in their song “Mister”.

“Annyeong unnie!”, I greeted quite excited to see this girls.

“Annyeong Elle ssi!”, they greeted back still dancing to the music.

“Join us!”, Gyuri unnie suggested.

“Yeah! Come! Joing us Elle ssi!”, Hara unnie added.

I ran towards the two Kara members and moved my hips to the beat.

Hey, kogi, kogi, mister. Yogil jom bwabwa, mister. Gure baron a mister. Ne apuro ga mister”

“Unnie, I have to go. Meeting with President Yang sunbaenim. Annyeong!”, I said breathing heavily as I rushed without even waiting for the reply of the two unnie’s still dancing.

“Woah! What is this?”, I thought to myself slowing my pace as I reached a corridor infested with idols.

Dara unnie was talking to Jiyong oppa, both were very flirtatious towards each other. Minzy unnie was stretching with her leg stretched vertically, while Bom unnie held her whilst talking to T.O.P oppa who was teasing her like little kids. C.L. unnie was busy nagging Seungri oppa as Daesung oppa watched in delight.

SNSD members Tiffany unnie, Sooyoung unnie, and Yuri unnie were all busy chatting, probably about each other’s love life. Taeyeon unnie was busy talking to Leeteuk oppa about some serious matters judging by the looks on their faces. Donghae oppa was busy analyzing every single move Eunhyuk oppa was teaching him. Sungmin oppa was enjoying his talk with Nicole unnie as they sipped from their coffee mugs once in a while.  As I continued to walk along the stark white painted walls of ONE Entertainment Buliding I continued seeing the people who kept me busy every afternoon after school. I saw Hyoyeon unnie, Kikwang oppa, Youngbae oppa, and Eunhyuk oppa having a dance showdown with each other…

“Elle-ssi!!!!”

“Lee Sooman sunbaenim!!!”, I screamed as I rose from my sleep.

“It’s omma, pabo!”, she annoyingly said.

“You’re late for school again”

I got up and got ready for school. I barely even took a bite of the bread that lay on my breakfast plate. I sped off saying quick goodbyes to both my omma and appa.  

I was walking towards school when I saw a paper on the street. It was dirty from the footsteps of passersby. Something about it caught my eye. It had the words “K-POP IDOL ACADEMY” printed on it. I got it and thought to myself.

Can you really defy your parents, Elle? Will this be enough reason for you to sacrifice your parents trust? Make up your mind!

But just then, a voice from behind appeared.

“Are you interested to join the academy?”, a man’s voice said as he rested his hand oon my shoulder.

I looked back. It was a tall man wearing decent clothing. He seemed convincing as an agent for the academy.

“Yes. I am”, I replied.

“Well, I am Bang Sang Kee. I’m an agent for K-Pop Idol Academy”, he said as he extended a hand to me.