Part 3- The Sun, Moon, and Stars

Let Me Show You The World

Two months have passed since the first day Sungyeol and Myungso met. They have gone on more walks, ate food that wasn’t hospital food, and enjoyed their times together. There were times when Myungsoo was busy because Sungjong came to visit. Though Sungjong only visited four times within the two months. Sungyeol was mad at that but he couldn’t say that to Myungsoo. Myungsoo loves Sungjong a lot, and Sungyeol wasn’t going to put a crack between the two of them. He was happy, as long Myungsoo is happy. They couldn’t believe the seconds, minutes, hours, and days that have passed since they met. Now, they are on the couch in Myungsoo’s room with Sungyeol reading to him a book.

“ Then the person he loves and will forever love became a star. The star that will watch over him forever.” Sungyeol closed the book and placed it on the table.

“ Hyung, read me another book.”

“ Again?”

“ Yep! Read me that adventure one again! I really like it.”

“ You must really like that book.” Sungyeol reached over to the table to grab the so-called book and opened it to the first page.

“ It’s my second favorite.”

“ Really? What is you first favorite?”

“ The one you just finished.”

“ Why?” Sungyeol was starting to cough but he held it back. He wanted to hear Myungsoo’s answer because that book is his favorite too.

“ It’s my favorite because how he will still love her forever even if she is gone.”

“ Is that so. That’s my favorite book and favorite part of the book too. How about—“ Sungyeol couldn’t hold it back anymore and coughed. He covered his mouth with his left hand to try to silence it. Myungsoo knew something was wrong because Sungyeol has been coughing a lot these past two months. To be more exact: they have increased everyday.

“ Hyung, are you sick? Your coughing is getting worse.” Sungyeol waved his at Myungsoo. Then he patted Myungsoo’s head with right hand.

“ I-I’m okay. Let me get something to drink first.”

“ Oh, okay.”

Sungyeol went to the bathroom. He quickly the faucet and let the water wash away his dirty hands. The dirty water hit the sink and went down. He watched as all of it disappeared, but he started to cough again. No matter how many times he tried to hold it back, it would come back up. It was as if he was choking. His whole body reacted to the furious coughing and the colored spit that came out of his mouth. To make sure he couldn’t taste it again, he washed his mouth thoroughly.

“ Sungyeol-hyung, are you okay!?” Sungyeol looked at the mirror. The bags under his eyes were evident and only getting worse. His skin is pale like the white hospital walls. Anybody could tell that he was sick or maybe even worse. Though he tried to hide it as best as he could. Time was against him, though, not letting him do the things he wants to. Sungyeol turned off the sink and came out of the bathroom. Myungsoo was still sitting on the couch patiently waiting for Sungyeol; he has no idea though about Sungyeol’s current condition.

“ Sorry it took me a while.”

“ No, it’s okay. Are you feeling better?” Sungyeol sat down next to Myungsoo and pulled the blanket over them.

“ Yeah, I feel a lot better.”

“ Sungyeol-hyung, can we just sleep like this?” Myungsoo placed his head on Sungyeol’s shoulder. Sungyeol placed his head on top of Myungsoo’s too.

“ You don’t want me to read anymore?”

“ I can tell you’re tired from you voice. We can just take a nap.”

“ Sounds good to me.”

Myungsoo closed his eyes, but Sungyeol didn’t. Instead he took the Polaroid camera that was conveniently next to him. He lifted the camera up, closed his eyes, and pressed the button. Sungyeol took the picture and waved it a little bit. On the bottom he wrote a little message for Myungsoo.

Look it’s us sleeping! I wish we could stay like this forever. I hope I’m in your dreams because you are and will always be in my dreams.

Sungyeol placed the photo under the blanket next to him. His eyes slowly closed, and deep in his heart he wished and wished. Like a person would wish on a shooting star: he wished time would stop.

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Sungyeol woke up to the moonlight glowing on his face. Gently he laid Myungsoo on the couch and walked towards the window. He opened the window slightly. The cool gentle breeze enwrapped him caressing his cheeks. A smile, small though, danced upon his face. Tears fell down beautifully like a majestic waterfall, but they were silent. Making no sound as he cried out his heart. His heart beating like crazy almost louder than his silenced cries. Only the moon is his witness of him crying, and will only be the one. Promises are etched into his heart that he will never cry in front of other people. These past almost three months made him the most happiest that he has ever been. The tears glisten under the moonlight and fall down on pale hand.

He backed away from the window and went back to Myungsoo. He carefully picked him making sure not to wake him up and placed him on the bed. Slowly he covered Myungsoo up with the blanket. He watched as Myungsoo’s expression changed. It amused him. Though he will deeply miss Myungsoo’s expressions the most. Even if Myungsoo couldn’t see his won face, Sungyeol made sure to capture all of the moments. Just like how the moon watches over the people as they sleep, he will watch over Myungsoo. He won’t just become the moon, but he will become the stars too. A sweet but sorrowful kiss was placed on Myungsoo’s forehead, nose, cheeks, and Sungyeol hesitated on his lips. A tear that shined brightly like the many stars, fell onto Myungsoo’s cheek. Sungyeol gave into his heart ad kissed the quiet lips. Sweet yet bitter: that ran through Sungyeol’s mind. The kiss was only a second but that was all Sungyeol needed.

“ I love you,” whispered Sungyeol. He reluctantly stepped away from Myungsoo and walked to the door. He smiled, a genuine smile, and left the room. With each step he took, he walked to the doctor’s office. Sungyeol knocked on the door and entered the room.

“ Oh, Sungyeol-sshi, what are you doing here so late? I thought you would be with Myungsoo-sshi.” Sungyeol stood across from the doctor who was sitting down. Sungyeol quickly blinked away the tears and finally looked up at the doctor.

“ He is the reason why I came to visit you. I want you to do a favor for me.” The doctor looked at Sungyeol with curiosity.

“ What would that favor be?” Sungyeol sat on the chair across the doctor’s desk. He took a deep breath and opened his mouth.

“ I want you too…”

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

“ Sungyeol-hyung, are you there?” Myungsoo reached out his hand, but nobody took it. He waited for couple more minutes but nothing. It was empty, the room was empty, and the air is empty.

“ Sung—“ The door opened and in came Sungjong. Sungjong was carrying a basket of fruits for Myungsoo.

“ Myungsoo-hyung, I came to see you.”

“ S-Sungjong? What are you doing here?” Sungjong grabbed the chair and slid it next to Myungsoo.

“ It’s the weekend so I came to visit you.”

“ ….Oh.” Sungjong looked at Myungsoo weirdly. He couldn’t help but feel that something was off about Myungsoo.

“ Are you not happy to see your boyfriend. I’m sorry if I haven’t been visiting you a lot.” He took Myungsoo’s hand and held their hands together. Myungsoo shook his head and smiled. He was very happy that Sungjong came to visit, but the room still felt empty.

“ I’m very happy that you are here. Did you bring me food to eat?”

“ Yes I did! I brought some fruits. Do you want me to cut up an apple?” Myungsoo nodded his head and Sungjong proceeded to cut the apple. The cutting of the apple made it’s way to Myungsoo’s ear, but he wasn’t listening. He was waiting for the sound of the door to open, footsteps entering the room, and the laughter of Sungyeol. Nothing flew into his ears, though. It was silent with the exception of their breathing and the cutting of the apple.

“ Here you go Myungsoo-hyung! Open your mouth.” Myungsoo opened his mouth and Sungjong popped in a slice of the apple.

“ It tastes really good. Thank you very much.” The sound of the door opening made Myungsoo jump in excitement, but the voice of the person made him frown.

“ Hello Myungsoo-sshi, and you must be Sungjong-sshi. His boyfriend right?”

“ Yes I am. Thank you very much for taking care of Myungsoo-hyung. I’m very grateful.”

“ It’s not a problem. Actually, the reason why I came here was to tell Myungsoo good news.” Myungsoo’s frown turned into a smile. He was happy that there is good news, but he wished that Sungyeol were there with him to hear it.

“ What is the good news?”

“ There is somebody who is willing to donate their eyes to you.”

“ Really!? B-But what about the person who is donating? What will happen to them?” The doctor’s face grew solemn even though Myungsoo can’t see it. The feeling coming off the doctor was rubbing on Myungsoo and even Sungjong.

“ The donor is sick and doesn’t have much time left. When they heard about your condition, the donor was willing to give you their eyes. The surgery will take place in a week.” Sungjong grabbed Myungsoo’s shoulders and shook them. Tears of joy were falling down Sungjong’s face as he hugged Myungsoo.

“ Myungsoo-hyung, you finally get to see again! Y-You finally get to see again! Isn’t that great!?... Myungsoo-hyung?” Sungjong backed away to see Myungsoo’s face. Tears were falling down at a rapid pace on Myungsoo’s face. Though Sungjong mistook those tears of joy, and not sadness. Myungsoo didn’t fully understand why he wasn’t crying in joy. It was as if this sudden sorrow overtook him. Maybe it was because the donor was dying or maybe there was a deeper meaning behind it. For now, he was just crying his eyes out.

After the doctor left, Sungjong had to leave too. Sungjong kissed Myungsoo before he left, but Myungsoo felt empty. Then Myungsoo was left alone in the room, but not for long. The door opened again making Myungsoo think Sungjong must have forgotten something.

“ Sungjong, did you forget your bag? I told you to make sure you have—“

“ It seems like Sungjong-sshi came to visit, huh?”

“ S-Sungyeol-hyung! Where have you been all day!? I have good news!” Myungsoo patted the space next to him in excitement. Sungyeol laughed at how adorable Myungsoo looked, but that smile disappeared quickly. He sat down next to him, and Myungsoo reached out for Sungyeol’s hand. The thing is Sungyeol didn’t take his hand. Sungyeol just left Myungsoo’s hand hanging. Myungsoo got the message and placed his hand on his lap.

“ So what is the good news?” Myungsoo totally forgot about what just happened and jumped in happiness.

“ I’m going to be able to see again! There is a donor who is willing to give their eyes to me! I will be able to see again!” Sungyeol forced himself to smile. He was happy that Myungsoo was going to see again, but he knew the truth of it.

“ That’s great Myungsoo! You will finally be able to see again! I told you not to give up!” Suddenly, leaned a bit forward and reached out his hand. He felt Sungyeol’s body, and then he lunged right at him. They both fell onto the floor with the both of them laughing.

“ Yah, what was that for?” Myungsoo propped himself on his elbows and smiled.

“ I just want to thank you for everything. It’s because of you that I didn’t give up. Everyday you stayed with me and made me smile, laugh, and above all, helped me get over the problem of not being able to see. Thank you so much. I don’t know how I can repay you.” Sungyeol caressed Myungsoo’s cheeks and sat up. Now Myungsoo was sitting on Sungyeol’s lap and Sungyeol caressed his other cheek.

“ You don’t have to do anything for me. Just promise that when you get your sight back, you will smile everyday. After the surgery, I can’t be there with you. From then on you will have to live your life with the person you love, Sungjong-sshi right? Go and see the world like you haven’t before. Also take tons of pictures too.”

“ S-Sungyeol-hyung… Thank you. Thank you. Though why can’t we see each other anymore? I can come visit you at the hospital.” Sungyeol took Myungsoo’s hands and placed them on the side of his face. Then he shook his head. He wanted to make sure Myungsoo understood that they can’t see each other anymore.

“ I will be busy here with work and other patients. Remember I’m the nurse who makes the patients lives less boring?”

“ Yeah I remember. So we can’t see each other than? I really want to see how you look like though!”

“ How about I give you a picture of me? Will that be fine?” Myungsoo sighed but reluctantly agreed.

“ Okay, but it better be a good picture!”

“ Don’t worry they will be. Myungsoo, can I do something?”

“ Like what?” Sungyeol leaned in and their lips were centimeters away from each other.

“ Just don’t move.”

Sungyeol placed his lips on top of Myungsoo’s and caressed the other’s cheek. Shock was an understatement as to what Myungsoo was feeling. He wanted to push away Sungyeol so badly, but there was this tug in his heart to just accept it. So he did what his heart told him to. He wrapped his arms around Sungyeol’s neck and started to kiss Sungyeol back. Their lips were like two missing puzzle pieces that finally found each other. Taking a few breaths every now and then, but they kept on kissing. It was as if they were afraid that if their lips were apart for more than three seconds, the moment would disappear. Myungsoo carefully pushed Sungyeol down so now he was on top. The heat radiating from each other made them more breathless, but they didn’t dare to separate. Sungyeol and Myungsoo wanted to etch this moment in their memories and their hearts.

“ M-Myungsoo… I… I love you.” Myungsoo froze and immediately parted his lips from Sungyeol’s. He didn’t expect for Sungyeol to confess. To be more exact he didn’t expect for this kiss to happen.

“ Y-You what? I-I…” Sungyeol stood up and placed Myungsoo on the bed.

“ S-Sungyeol-hyung, you know t-that I already have Sungjong. I don’t what just happened, but I’m sorry. I can’t just leave Sungjong. I-I don’t know what to feel.” Sungyeol knew that this was going to happen. He knew Myungsoo would never feel the same way as him. Sungyeol was happy, though. It was better than regretting not telling him.

“ It’s okay Myungsoo-ah. I just wanted to tell you that I love you. Don’t worry about it, okay?”

“ Are you sure? I can feel it. I can feel that you are sad.” Sungyeol embraced Myungsoo and kissed the side of his head. He pulled away and one last time he kissed Myungsoo’s forehead.

“ I’m sure. When will the surgery be?”

“ Within a week. You will be there for me, right?”

“ … Yeah I will be. I will be right next to you.” Myungsoo nodded his head and laid down. Sungyeol pulls the blanket over Myungsoo’s body, and right when he was about to leave, Myungsoo stopped him. Sungyeol sighed and took Myungsoo’s hand in his.

“ I will see you tomorrow, hyung.” Tears fell down from Sungyeol’s eyes.

“ Yeah, see you tomorrow.”

Slowly, he made his way out of the room and into the hallways of the hospital. All of a sudden Sungyeol fainted and fell to the ground. Nurses and doctors surrounded him in worry. They lifted him up and brought him to his room.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------

 

Myungsoo waited and waited for Sungyeol to come visit him. He never did, though. The only person that Myungsoo was with the whole week was Sungjong. The only reason why Sungjong came was to help prepare Myungsoo for the surgery. The doctor said that Myungsoo should have somebody to be there with the week prior of the surgery. Only Myungsoo didn’t want Sungjong to be the person, he wanted it to be Sungyeol.

“ Myungsoo-hyung, is there something wrong?”

“ It’s nothing, I’m just nervous.” Sungjong took his hand and held it tight.

“ Don’t worry, I’m here for you.”

“ Yeah, I know. Can I have some time to myself?” Sungjong was confused as to why Myungsoo wanted to be by himself. He didn’t think about it anymore and gave Myungsoo his space.

“ I’m going to buy is some food.”

“ Okay.”

Sungjong left the room and went to buy food for the both of them. A person was waiting by the door, which Sungjong didn’t notice. When Sungjong was out of sight, the person silently entered the room.

“ Sungjong, did you forget your wallet?” There was no response. As the person got closer to Myungsoo, he started to freak out.

“ W-Who is there? Answer me!” No response again. The person silently put the bouquet of flowers into the vase, and backed away from Myungsoo. The person never looked at Myungsoo. One look would make the person want to pull Myungsoo in their arms. Right when the person turned around, Myungsoo reached out and successfully grabbed onto something.

“ S-Sungyeol-hyung, is that you?” Not a single word was spoken. Breathing quietly was even harder for him to do.

“ It is you isn’t? Just say it’s you and you can leave. I just need to know that it’s you that came to see me.” A sigh left his lips. He gave in and took Myungsoo’s hands and placed them on the side of his face.

“ You’re Sungyeol-hyung, right?” He nodded his head. Myungsoo started to cry. Big, fat tears fell from Myungsoo’s face not stopping. Sungyeol wiped them away not saying one word. He kissed both of Myungsoo’s eyes so that he would stop crying. Then he parted his lips from Myungsoo’s eyes. He took a step backwards and left the room silently.

“ Sungyeol-hyung! Yah! Lee Sungyeol!” The sound of the door opening and closing scared Myungsoo. There was a gut feeling that he would never see Sungyeol again. He didn’t want that, though. He got off the bed and walked along the walls. When he felt the doorknob, he opened the door, and stepped into the corridor.

“ Sungyeol-hyung! Sungyeol-hyung!”

“ Myungsoo-sshi, what’s wrong?”

“ Myungsoo-hyung!? Hyung, what’s wrong?” Myungsoo fell onto his knee and was now a sobbing mess. Sungjong took Myungsoo into his arms and rubbed circles on his back.

“ S-Sungyeol-hyung… D-Don’t go…”

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

The day has come for the surgery. Sungjong sits by Myungsoo’s side not leaving him one bit. The days that lead to the day of the surgery were empty. Myungsoo never showed any emotions to the doctors, nurses, or even Sungjong. Every time the windows were open, there was no wind or even a single breeze. During the night there weren’t any stars, but Myungsoo wouldn’t know that. Though Myungsoo did have a feeling that there weren’t any stars out. Ever since Sungyeol never came to see him, everything was empty. No matter how many times he reached out, there was nobody to grab it. It was just empty air.

“ Myungsoo-sshi, it’s time.” Sungjong helped Myungsoo onto the bed, and he was brought to the surgery room. Sungjong stood outside of the room praying everything will go perfectly. At that same time, another person was brought out of a room and into the surgery room. Sungjong heard the rolling wheels, and caught a glimpse of the person. His eyes widened and he abruptly stood up.

“ I-It couldn’t be… N-No…”

The person was brought into the surgery room and placed next to Myungsoo. The person turned his head and looked at the unconscious Myungsoo. He smiled sadly at Myungsoo. Tears fell from his eyes, eyes that he won’t ever have again. He took a mental picture of the peaceful Myungsoo one last time and let the anesthesia take him to a world of darkness.

Goodbye Myungsoo… I love you.

 

---------------------------------------------------

 

Five hours passed and the doctor came out of the surgery room. Sungjong saw the doctor and ran up to him. A simple smile was needed to convey how the surgery went. Sungjong broke down in tears because the surgery went well, but also because the life of a person was lost. He knew exactly who that person was, and he knew Myungsoo would be devastated to know who the donor was.

Sungjong followed the doctor to where Myungsoo was placed in. There was Myungsoo sleeping on the bed with bandages around his eyes. He sat down on a chair that was next to the bed. Sungjong took Myungsoo’s hand and held it. Right there he cried into his hand. The tears wouldn’t stop no matter what. Joyful tears did spill but they were mixed with sorrow.

“ Myungsoo, I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry.”

 

--------------------------------------------------

 

A few weeks later Myungsoo was able to take off the bandages. During those weeks, Sungjong has never left his side. Myungsoo didn’t mind, but he still wanted to be with Sungyeol. Whenever he asked the doctor where Sungyeol was, the doctor always told that he was busy with other patients. Myungsoo didn’t buy it but decided to not question further. He told himself that he would just have to find Sungyeol himself.

“ Are you ready to take them off?”

“ I’m ready.”

The doctor carefully took off the bandages around Myungsoo’s head. Sungjong clasped his hands together from anxiety. Myungsoo was the same but it wasn’t as evident. Finally, the doctor took off the last of the bandages. Slowly, Myungsoo opened his new eyes, and the harsh light hit his eyes. He had to blink his eyes a few times to adjust to the light. It was blurry at first, but then he was able to make out their faces. Soon he was able to see Sungjong’s face and the doctor’s.

“ I-I can see! I can finally see again!” Sungjong started to cry and the doctor had to wipe away a tear that was about to fall.

“ It seems like the results were good. Treasure this gift that the donor gave to you, Myungsoo-sshi.”

“ I will. Thank you for everything doctor! You have helped me so much!”

“ It was nothing.”

“ Oh, that’s right! Where is Sungyeol-hyung?” The atmosphere in the room became tense. Myungsoo looked at the both of them, but he got no answer.

“ Where is Sungyeol-hyung?” The doctor and Sungjong looked at each other. They looked at Myungsoo and sighed.

“ I want to show you something Myungsoo-sshi. Follow me.”

“ O-Okay.” There was a bad feeling in Myungsoo. He didn’t want to follow them but if they were going to lead him to Sungyeol, then he will follow. The three of them came out of the room and walked down the corridor. The kept on walking and walking until they came to the last room. Myungsoo nodded his head at the doctor, and he opened the door.

All of a sudden a gentle breeze past by them. It caressed their faces, but whispered into Myungsoo’s ears. He took one step inside, and his eyes widened. Inside the room were pictures. Tons of pictures. There were pictures hanging on the walls. Myungsoo took another step. He went to the wall on the right and examined the pictures: they were all of him and somebody he didn’t recognize. Then it hit him. The other person was Sungyeol, and the pictures were of the times they spent together. Myungsoo was confused as to why there were pictures of them in this room. A quiet rustle was heard, and Myungsoo went towards the source of it. He pulled away the curtains, and his heart stopped beating for a second. On the window were pictures of the two of them. Myungsoo took a step back and realized that the pictures made a bigger picture of the two them. He fell to his knees making Sungjong run over to him.

“ Myungsoo-sshi, Sungyeol-sshi gave me this to give it to you.” Both of them turned around. The doctor was holding out a white envelope. Myungsoo took it and opened the envelope that consisted a letter addressed to him. He read the letter to himself not wanting to hear his voice crack. There ink blotches on the letter from Sungyeol’s tears, but Myungsoo was still able to read it.

Dear Myungsoo,

It’s me, Sungyeol. I guess if you are reading this letter then I’m not here anymore. I hope you liked my gift I gave to you. All those pictures are yours to keep or you can throw them away if you want to. I know I made you mad and lonely for not visiting you before your surgery. Though since you are reading this, then the surgery must have went well. I want to tell you the truth about me. I’m not 20 years old; I’m actually 18 years old. I haven’t been to school for two years because I have been sick. Also I’m not a nurse either. I have a heart disease that isn’t curable. The only way is to have a transplant, but I was at the bottom of the list. My heart was only getting worse by the time you came. Then when I met you, it was as if the pain in my heart disappeared. You made my life brighter than the sun, moon, and stars combine together. Remember your favorite book? The one about his love becoming a star? For you, I’m going to become not just a star, but also the sun and moon too. I will watch over you wherever you are. So Myungsoo, don’t be sad and don’t cry. You promised me that you would repay me by looking at the world with your new eyes. Fulfill that promise and I will be happy forever. I’m happy that I was able to show you the world you miss so much. One last thing, I will always love you forever.

                                               

                                                            From Sungyeol

 

“ W-Why? You idiot! Why did it have to be you? WHY! WHY!” Sungjong embraced Myungsoo. Hot tears fell down Myungsoo’s face. The sunlight got brighter almost blinding them. The wind slipped through the window and wiped away Myungsoo’s tears.

“ S-Sungyeol-hyung…” The wind caressed his cheek. Myungsoo leaned into the wind and the sun lit on Myungsoo’s face even brighter. The warmth from the sun and the gentleness of the wind calmed down his heart. It was as if they gave an answer to his distraught heart. He knew that this wasn’t the end.

“ Sungyeol-hyung, we will meet again. I know we will. I will see your face one day.”