I Crashed Before the Birth of Christ

The Broken Bride

   Chapter 1: I Crashed Before the Birth of Christ


   It wasn’t supposed the end the way it did. They’d only just gotten married a week before the car accident. No one ever expected it; it wasn’t supposed to happen. The morning in May, when Jinki asked Kibum to stay in bed and just miss work, Jinki now knew that his bride was meant to stay in bed with him. Waving goodbye to his lover with a slightly dejected face, Jinki never anticipated to later be at the scene of Kibum’s death only hours after. Steam still rose from the busted engine, and bits of glass sparkled on the pavement that was caked in blood. The scene would have made Jinki sick had he not been in such a deep state of shock. The funeral itself seemed so unreal. Only days before, the two had been making love in the moonlight that cascaded into their room. Now only the memories remained, along with the scent of the person that used to be.

    Try as he might, Jinki could not let go. For the first year, he’d given into the tempting hands of depression. He became distant to the outside world, only concerned with the lingering presence of Kibum that was still on their bed. Yes- their bed. No level of loss could compel Jinki to claim anything of theirs to be strictly as his own. However, as the months passed, the scent of his lover began to flee- and how Jinki hated it when it began to go. There would be nights he’d lie down, holding one of Kibum’s favorite jackets close to his body. Any form of the other’s presence would be enough. Anything at all. The loss of his bride drove him to madness.

    But perhaps - just perhaps, it was that madness that would help Jinki with his biggest endeavor. After the first year, after all of the struggling to keep his mind and emotions intact, and to finally accept that Kibum was gone, Jinki came to a conclusion. Kibum wasn’t gone. He would not be gone, because Jinki would bring him back to life. Obviously resurrection was not an option, seeing as those magicks have been proven to be inefficient and downright wrong. But what if he could just go back to that morning? What if he could just bring back his lover with the power of science?

    Fifteen years, struggling with the constant c- the speed of light, Jinki came closer and closer to his goal. Gears began turning. Equations finally made sense and came together. Bit by bit, he could feel himself coming closer to bringing back Kibum. As each piece of the machine came together, he could feel himself getting closer to that morning in May that he so desperately wanted to get to.

    Kim-Lee Kibum died in 1989. In 2001, Lee Jinki finished the first home conceived time machine. He’d aged, but he didn’t care. He lost friends, but they didn’t matter. All that mattered was Kibum.

    Kibum. Kibum. Kibum.

    No matter how many times he said the name, it never got old. Just like when they were dating, Jinki loved to just say Kibum’s name, regardless of the look of both flattery and annoyance that his lover showed. It didn’t matter. He knew his lover liked it; he always loved being fawned over. And Jinki was more than happy to give in to what he loved...
    2001.

    Lee Jinki pulls the varying leavers, checking equations one last time, and punching in his desired date. Thunder booms and crashes outside the walls of his home, but he isn’t scared. He’s prepared. He always had been. As the gears begin to turn and a rumbling is made from within the machine, a feeling of euphoria takes over Jinki. He feels his heart race, and he fixes his hair, straighten his bowtie, and beams as he watches the machine work and move.

    “So close,” he mutters, looking down at an old photo of his beloved. “I’m coming home, Kibum. I’m going to fix you.”

    He slips the picture into his jacket pocket, and then closes his eyes. The clanking, rattling, swooshing- Jinki could feel it all working. He felt himself being whisked away, and swirling down (or perhaps forward? His sense of direction was thrashed as he moved so quickly) through the portal. Passing up moments in time, fragile moments that could be so easily intruded upon with a push of a button. But then...something went wrong.

    Jinki felt himself suddenly plunging down, falling through the mist of the other side and falling to the ground. Blackness. After a few moments, he opens his eyes, the taste of blood prominent in his mouth as the screech of an unfamiliar being is heard. He rolled onto his back, looking up at the sky. Birds flew the air, and trees seemed to tower higher than they should. But...were those birds?

    It took what felt like eternity before Jinki could get up and move. His machine seemed to be okay. Other than some scratches and a couple leavers whose tips broke off, there was really no huge issue. Jinki could easily try again, because this was clearly not where he wanted to be. While his old self would have wanted to explore, his still grieving self just wanted to be home. He stepped back onto the metal platform, fiddling with the controls again. Leavers pulled, buttons pushed, but then...

    The date on the dial alarmed Jinki. He felt his heart race as he came to the blood chilling realization of where he actually was. Two hundred and one million years into the past...

    The Jurassic Period...

    The dinosaurs...

    Another deafening screech, similar to the first he’d heard when he landed there, sounded from the sky. Jinki’s head shot up to look, and immediately wished he hadn’t. Above him, a creature with wings of demon’s cloth circled above him, preparing to swoop down and make him its prey. Jinki went with his first instinct. Run. He darted away from his machine, which only proved to provoke the creature above him. He ran and ran, until he came across a cave. Weaving through the pits of tar and avoiding the gnashing teeth of creatures on the ground, which were equally as terrifying, Jinki made it into the cave, crawling through the small entrance. He curled up inside, his breathing heavy and uneven as he heard the monsters awaiting him outside.

    He was doomed. No food, no water and no way of getting out, Jinki’s only option seemed to be to starve in that cave. Time passed, a lot of time, and slowly Jinki began to regulate his breathing. The pterodactyl was no longer agitated, but was still just outside. It knew that Jinki still lived, and that there was still blood to be spilt.

    He spent three days in the cave. Trying his best to sleep despite the screeches and roars outside the cave, he managed to sleep somewhat. He didn’t eat, and by the third day, the fatigue and dehydration began to threaten his vitals. On the cave wall, he carved Kibum’s name, damn near sure that he was to die there. The times he and Kibum would walk along the beach and search for fossils in the sand...Perhaps his lover would find him there, beside him once again.

    No! That couldn’t happen. Jinki refused to allow it. Especially if him dying in the Jurassic Period meant him never meeting his lover. Jinki was faced with a great choice... Should he leave the cave? Should he risk his life to stop the end of another? His heart began to pound, and slowly, he found his way to his feet....


A/N: This is based off of the first song on the EP, titled the Broken Bride. The next is going to be based on the second song, Save Our City.

Thoughts? I've never written a fan fiction like this before.

And some people I told the idea to thought that this should be 2min, but I can't see Minho building a time machine. Seems more like a Jinki move, don't you think?

Anyway, I'm hoping to have the second (and maybe third) chapters up within a day or two.

Love,

Minnie

The Broken Bride