Chapter 4

Proceeding with Patience

Daehyun was outraged with his own behavior. Who was he to disagree with his own friends? To fight with each and every single one of them when all they did was reiterate the words he had been saying from all the days before. He had hated Ji Eun. He hated her so much. Yet why did he end up standing up for her? Become angry for her own sake when he, himself, was the one who originally wanted her to suffer. She was his nemesis, yet he had even the slightest urge to protect her.

It all boggled his mind, yet only he was to be the blame for it.

'I need to take a breather. A long one. Maybe I could even study while I'm at it,' he thought to himself, quickly pacing to one of the empty classrooms in the hallway. However, right as he opened the sliding door, the image of a familiar body nuzzled in her sleep was set in stone right in front of him. He took a few steps closer only to see that it was none other than Lee Ji Eun taking a nap, one in which he too was about to take himself.

He lightly chuckled. 'So I see that Superwoman here also gets tired every once in a while.'

Daehyun sat down in the seat directly in front of hers, setting out his textbooks and sheets of paper. He looked through the first few pages of his notebook, but he unfortunately just couldn't come to be focused. Ji Eun's sleeping figure was overbearingly distracting, and all he could do in the moment was just watch her.

She was quite cute in her sleep, the boy had to admit. Her bangs were unevenly scatter around, and her braids were rushed into a tangled mess, but the sight of her lashes calmly closed and slightly opened whenever she took a breath was cute, quite oddly to him. She was sleeping without a care in the world and as if she was right at home. She was a silly girl in her own right.

He silently continued to watch her, his mind in deep thoughts, and the tip of his pencil lightly tapping onto the hard wooding of the desk they lay at. At the moment, you could say the boy was confused with his own process of thoughts, or more so with girl he was staring at. He just couldn't accept it!

One. He found her annoying, yet he defended her from his closest friends. Two. There was no need to be so protective since she never cared about him in the first place. He was almost nonexistent to the girl. And three. Everyone that Daehyun ever met had some sort of feelings toward him. They either hated him or loved him, but this girl was different.

Lee Ji Eun. She never paid attention to anything else but the road right in front of her.

Daehyun unconsciously laid his hand on one of Ji Eun's braids, flickering the ends of her split hairs. His eyes began to bear into the sight of her, and he only had one thought left out of the many on which he was so caught up about before.
 

'I want you to look at me, to see me in your eyes.'
 

He lightly settled his hand over the frame of her cheeks, and his eyes were locked onto her lips. Was he to steal a kiss from her? Daehyun wanted it, and if he were to get it, Ji Eun would never find out anyway. However, as he slightly bent down to get into position, the sound of alarm rang off from within Ji Eun's watch, and the young girl vigorously jumped up from out of her seat, her school bag accidently socking the tip of Daehyun's chin. And as she left, his chin was left throbbing.

The next day at school, more than half of the student body was fixated on Daehyun's bandaged chin. Apparently, that bag was filled with more heavy-duty textbooks than he originally thought possible. And now, his chin became bruised up badly. His back was hunched, and his temper grew the more silly little school girls created idiotic rumors about him. Even as he tried to study his notes in peace, others continued to talk about him.


"Have you seen Jung Daehyun's face? It looks like he's gotten into a fight!"

"Do you think he's part of a gang?"

"I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, he does seem like the rebellious type."


And then he finally snapped.

"For the love of God, everyone just shut up! I'm Jung Daehyun! I'm the sole heir to the Jung Corporation and the son of political leader, Jung Kang Suk. If you really think I'd be the type to just so easily get into fights, then every single one of you lessly others could be as prestigious as I am," he yelled out to the class at the top of his lungs.


Nobody dared to look at his bruise, and nobody dared to speak up or say things behind his back. From that point on, everyone had known their place, and that was the last of it.

Daehyun sighed in relief as he sat back into his seat and got to work again. But as he continued to work, Lee Ji Eun and thought of her ruining his life had filled up his empty mind. He was once again reminded of how much he despised her.

 

 


August 24, 2008


For the past few years of middle school, Daehyun had been continuously studying and studying, studying more and studying again and when he felt like he had done the best that he could, he took the time to personally handpick the brightest of tutors in all of South Korea to help him further exceed his previous limitations. Nothing was impossible to Jung Daehyun, not of it was for the sole purpose of ruining that one girl.

Lee Ji Eun.

Yes, he still had a grudge on her. In fact, during the year of eighth, he thought he had eventually forgotten every painful reminiscent of the woman, but the sight of her smugingly walking down the hallway got to him, as sad as it may seem. He just couldn't get a hold of letting her go. He had to see the end of this four year war.

And now the two of them had made their way to high school at the top of their grade level. Of course Ji Eun was number one as always with Daehyun trudging down below by only four and a half points on their final exams. He stared in misery, watching through the stands as Lee Ji Eun, the highest ranked student in school, made a speech for opening ceremonies. That was supposed to be him standing at that podium.

When the ceremony ended, Daehyun rushed through the crowd of students, looking for that girl with the same jet black bangs and pigtails. And when he found her, he mused, "I see you're still as lonely as you were before. What, no friends even in high school Ji Eun?"

Ji Eun looked back at him with her signature blank stare. "Well if you ask me, I don't particularly need friends. It doesn't affect me so much."

Daehyun bit his lip. That was not the answer he had expected. Rather, he had hoped for the girl to be hurt, insulted, wanting to go run away and cry to nobody since she never had anyone to begin with. Which brought Daehyun to his next problem. He just didn't understand how a person could not be affected by having no friends. He had been popular all his life, so he couldn't quite comprehend the fact.

He tisked, ignoring everything in which Ji Eun had previously stated.

"You're such a poor, poor girl. A pity really. If you'll beg me, I'll go out with you."

Ji Eun nodded, "Sure, where to?"

Daehyun took a step back, his eyebrows furrowed to the ceiling and an expression of utter shock and confusion plastered over his face. He slapped his cheeks several times to make sure this was the reality he was seeing. Going out? As in a date? Daehyun had never intended for this to really happen. It was all a joke to him.

But he couldn't back out now.

"Uh uh uh, the s-school dining hall," he barely managed to choke out, and he wanted to scream at himself for evening stuttering in front of the girl. Nervous? He was. He didn't know why.

"That's fine with me, but why there?"

"To eat? I'll pay for your meal." 

She immediately accepted the deal once he mentioned that it would be free on her part.

 

At the dining hall, Ji Eun marveled at all the different sets and options.

"Can I really pick whatever I want?" Ji Eun exclaimed, her eyes ogling at food before her.

"Don't even ask. Just grab whatever," he replied, seeing the girl take Set A.

Daehyun just watched as Ji Eun ate her food with such excitement in her eyes. He couldn't help but lightly chuckle, wondering why the girl would act as if school food was the best thing she's ever had in her life. Then he remembered. 'I forgot she was poor.'

Once she finished her meal, Ji Eun asked, "So what would you like as a gift? To return the favor.

Daehyun shook his head. "I already told you I was paying for the meal. There's no need to for a silly little return gift."

"It's fine. I'll feel bad if I don't do so. Plus, I'll be having a part-time job afterschool."

His eyes bulged at the sound of the word "job".

"A job? But we're only in our first year of high school! What if you get caught? Wait no. The first thing I should be asking is what kind of job exactly."

"A cashier at the convenience store."

He frowned. "I reject. No. Quit now."

"Excuse me? Since when did I need your permission!"

"Since now. So quit," Daehyun paused, and took the time to breath. In his thoughts, he couldn't believe he was really going to say this, but he just had the urge to. His gut was practically pulling him in to do so."

"I told you I don't need your per-"

"I'll buy your time."

"Wait, what?"

Daehyun sighed, not even wanting to say such a thing again.

"I said, I'll buy your time. So quit your part time job."


Alright guys, I haven't updated in about five months, and I'm sure half of you totally forgot about this story, but here you go!

Comments are loved.

Subscribe if you want. I'll be happy just knowing if people read my crapfics.

Enjoy!