Dentistry

Dentistry

“Alright Mr.… Kim Kibum.” The lady behind the counter grinned as she looked over the paperwork. “Please take a seat until your name is called.”

Kibum moved to one of the heavy wooden chairs to sit down. After a couple of minutes, he shifted on the uncomfortable and poor-padded seat, wiping his hands on his tight fitted black skinny-jeans. He sighed anxiously; he hated coming to this place once a year. He hated checking in, to linger in the never changing waiting room for what felt like an eternity.

His eyes glanced around the room, noting the different people who came here too, wondering if they hated this place as much as he did. He saw a young boy looking through the one of many dull magazines the building had, pointing up at his presumable mother, smiling at whatever caught his interest. He felt bad for the little kid, knowing that it must’ve been his first time here and not knowing what to expect. Softly shaking his head, his eyes shifted from the little kid to another boy whom was looking through his phone on the other side of the room. A small smile formed on the boy’s face which made him believe that the feminine-looking man (no younger than a couple years) was perhaps playing a game. Kibum studied the boys’ features. He had auburn colored hair tied up into a pony tail, a side swept fringe barely covering his right eye and loose hair framing his face on each side. He wore a blue and white long-sleeved vertically striped shirt, tucked into black skinny jeans similar to his own. He wore a stylish necklace; one a person wouldn’t normally wear, along with a couple of bracelets decorating his wrists. The boys’ long black vest was ed, almost reaching his knees. As he crossed his legs, he noticed the man wore dress shoes to complete his look.

Very fashionable. Kibum thought. He couldn’t stop admiring the boys outfit choice, continuously looking him up and down. As he looked back up, he noticed the boy was staring at him; a similar smile he adorned at his phone was now faced at him, though the expression more questionable. Kibum quickly turned his head to the television, barely registering the boring program being shown. He forced himself to not look back at the other man, still feeling his stare, wondering if he was judging him in return.

“Key! The dentist is ready to see you now~!” A cheerful bunny-looking man called out, opening the door to the back rooms.

Key slightly jumped in his seat and felt his stomach do a roll before he slowly stood up. He quickly pulled out a small mirror from his satchel making sure he looked okay. Neat straight blonde hair, barely brushing his eyebrows? Check. Black tank top? Check. Leopard print jacket with rolled up sleeves? Check. Black wristband and converse? Check. This was his usual routine before going into the hellhole. The issue here isn’t that he doesn’t like the dentistry, but rather, the dentist himself. Key swears that he’s out to get him. He brushes his teeth at least three times a day and flosses after every meal, yet every time he visits; his dentist always has something to criticize about. “Your teeth can become whiter, you know.” Or “You should try harder to get the plaque in the back.” And even “Brushing your teeth right before you come here won’t change anything.”

“My teeth are as white as possible without using any whitening products. I try as hard as I can to get rid of the plaque in the back. I brush my teeth because I’m pretty sure you don’t want to smell bad breath when you first examine my mouth.” Kibum said under his breath, unconsciously practicing his retorts.

“You okay there buddy?” The male dentist assistant asked a little too cheerfully as Key walked towards him.

“You know how it is. I’m totally not looking forward to this, as always.”

“Ahh. Don’t worry too much. He seems to be in a good mood today.”

Key scoffed. “Yea, and I have a girlfriend.”

The man let out a snicker. “No seriously. When he found out you were coming in today for a cleaning, he smiled. Like a big smile! Complete 180 degree turn from before. He had to deal with some pretty rude clients. Everyone who has come in today has had this… attitude. I guess it’s just a bad day.” He said shrugging at the end of his sentence.

“Yea sounds about right. I bet he’s happy because he gets to criticize my teeth. He loves that.”

Key quickly glanced at the plate that hung on the wall engraved with the name “Dr. Kim Jonghyun”, rolling his eyes and sighing before going around it. The assistant tried to suppress his smile as they entered the dentist office.

“Alright, you know the drill. Sit on the chair.” He said as he patted the seat. “I’m pretty sure you know what happens next.”

“My favorite part…” Key stated sarcastically.

The assistant put on rubber gloves as he grabbed two small flexible squared materials. “Open wide. Ahhhhh!”

Key snorted as he suppressed a laugh and opened his mouth as he was told, letting the man put the squares on the sides of his cheeks. “Alright… bite down… please…” He said in a concentrating voice. He clapped his hands together once and smiled as he ran behind the wall. “Stay still - be right back!” Key heard a buzzing sound. Ending as soon as it started, he heard mumbling from behind a wall along with a small giggle.

“Alright, I’m going to get these developed and Mr. Jonghyun will be here shortly.” The man stated as he pulled out the squares out of Kibums mouth, moving the x-ray machine and walking out quickly.

“Why, hello there Key.” Another man walked into the office smiling.

Key jumped in his seat slightly, not expecting his arrival so quickly. He assumed he was the one talking to his assistant. “…Hi.”

“How are you today?” Jonghyun asked honestly as he sat in the extra chair, adjusting the height.

“Dandy. I’m so happy I got to see your face. I was missing it.”

Jonghyun chuckled. “I missed you too. Now, let’s get to work.”

Jonghyun pressed the controls of Key’s chair to lean the back in a laying down position, clipping on a paper around the boy’s neck to catch any water or saliva and turning on the over-head light to see more clearly. He put on his gloves and mask and grabbed the first tool, what looked like a curved hook. “Open.”

Key forced himself to hold back an eye-roll and did as he was told. His eyes moved to the others’ trying to study his facial expressions. He noticed his right eye squint and his eyebrows twitch. He blinked once, twice, three times in a row. He knew what was coming. “That plaque in the back is still a problem, huh?” Jonghyun asked as he pulled out the probe from Kibum’s mouth and pulled down his mask.

“Listen, it’s very hard stho geth.” Key’s sentence was muddled as Jonghyun stuck his finger on his tongue. A sly smile forming across his face.

Key felt his stomach flip, blaming his warming face on the light.

Jonghyun took his finger out of Keys mouth. “I know it’s hard to get, but it’s still possible.”

“Are you going to tell me my teeth aren’t white enough either?”

“Oh, they’re white… but they could be whiter.”

Key scoffed. “You know what I don’t like?”

“Hm?” Jonghyun half-heartedly listened as he grabbed the small saliva suction tube and a toothbrush head.

“You.”

Jonghyun looked down at the boy as he changed the somewhat anxiety inducing probe to the toothbrush. He spread the toothpaste and grinned. “That’s harsh Key~”

“Well, it’s true.”

 “That’s a shame since I like you a lot, Kibum.”

Key’s stomach flipped again, his whole body felt warm. The damn light was bothering him. “I don’t like that you always try to find something wrong with my teeth. I do everything I’m suppose to and it’s never perfect for you.”

“Ahh.” Jonghyun replied in acknowledgement as he put his mask back on. He put the suction in Key’s mouth just under his tongue - Key could’ve sworn he heard the older man chuckle before turning on the toothbrush.

After brushing for a while, Jonghyun turned off the toothbrush and wiped the head while removing it to replace it with the water pick.

“Hey, Key.” Jonghyun said while turning on the water.

Key opened his eyes and looked at the other man in response.

Jonghyun went in between his teeth, getting rid of any plaque that was there, noting the ones that needed to be scraped off. “It’s tough love.” He said as he up excess water from the boy’s mouth. “Do you know why I’m hard on you?”

Key furrowed his eyebrows.

“I’m hard on you because I love you.”

Key coughed on saliva that was passing through his throat as he sat up, removing the suction tube from his mouth. He felt the familiar feeling again with his stomach except it was a continuous tickling. He looked at him questionably, subconsciously avoiding his eyes.

“I love your teeth, I mean.” Jonghyun rephrased, smiling at the others’ reaction.

Key glared at him. “W-Well. I would like it if you gave me compliments.” Key stated somewhat firmly as he laid back down, putting the suction tool back in his mouth.

Jonghyun changed the water pick back to the probe and started in the back rows of teeth. When he reached the front of his teeth, he pulled down his mask and rested his free hand on Kibum’s bottom lip, gently gliding his thumb across it. “You’re stunning.”

Key’s face felt hot as his stomach twirled. He sat up quickly, though Jonghyun’s reaction was a bit too late, causing the probe to prick at Key’s bottom lip. “Ow!” Key touched his lip and looked at his finger. “. Nice going, .”

Jonghyun placed the tool on the tray and grabbed the sides of Key’s face. “I’m so sorry!”

“Why would you say something like that?! What did you think was going to happen?! Idiot!”

“Sorry, sorry. That was unprofessional. Though… you don’t have to completely blame me for it…” Jonghyun’s voice lowered near the end of his sentence.

“Damn right it was your fault! I better get a discount when I pay at the counter.”

Jonghyun grinned mischievously as he moved closer to Key.

“Uh, Jonghyun…”

Still smirking, he Key’s bottom lip, cleaning the drop of blood that stuck there. He pulled away quickly before grabbing a mini plastic cup and filling it with water. “There’s your discount~ now rinse and spit. Toothpaste and blood isn’t the best combination.” Jonghyun stated with a wide grin as a matter-of-factly.

Key sat there quietly, unconsiously raising his fingers to his lips. A warm feeling took place of the blood. A warm feeling rushed throughout his body. A warm feeling that felt so new to him yet so perfect. A familiar feeling yet not the same, but more. How could he describe it?

“Key~”

Key looked up at the dentist and slowly took the cup of water, intentionally touching his hand with his. He had to test something out. Just as he expected, when skins touched, the warm feeling in his body had gotten stronger. He rinsed out his mouth and took a paper towel to catch any droplets.

“Kibum~” Jonghyun almost purred.

When Key turned his head to see the other man. Their faces were about an inch apart. Keys heart was pounding against his chest as he stared into the man’s eyes. So this was love.

“Your cleaning is done.” Jonghyun stated. Key wondered how four words could sound so amazing. Not the fact that he was minutes away from leaving, but because they were words uttered by the man he use to despise. But how could he fall for this man so quickly when he hated him so much? Maybe he never really hated him. It was always the feeling of want. Always wanting to satisfy the man that could never be. Always wanting a perfect outcome but never receiving.

“Hey…” Key whispered as Jonghyun slowly tilted his head, moving closer.

“Mm?”

Jonghyun was about to close the gap before he felt Key’s lips on his. Slow and romantic, if that was possible in a dentistry, and loving was how it felt. A puzzle being completed. Perfection. There was nothing better than the moment they were in. Key pulled away and grinned softly. “How was that?”

Jonghyun his lips. “Tastes amazing.”

Key looked away quickly, not expecting such a bold response. Mentally slapping himself for not being prepared.

“Alright! They’re developed!” The bunny-looking man stated cheerfully as he walked into the room, completely oblivious of the aura.

“Let me check them out.” Jonghyun stated as he grabbed the X-Rays from his assistant’s hand, putting them on a small board, pressing the light switch. He whistled at the image and smiled a toothy grin as he looked back at his beloved. He could tell that he looked nervous, twirling his thumbs as he too stared at the X-Rays. Jonghyun’s smile transitioned into a smaller grin as he stared into his eyes. “They couldn’t be any more perfect.”

Key felt his face heat up even more than it already was as he inwardly sighed grinning to himself.

“Great!” The tofu-looking man said as he took the X-Rays. “I’ll go file them now and I’ll see you by the front counter!”

“Ah. I’ll go check him out instead.” Jonghyun stated.

“Oh… ok! Nice seeing you again, Key! Can’t wait to see you again next time!” The bunny-tofu-looking man said gladly, waving as he walked out.

“Shall we go?” Jonghyun asked as he adjusted Key’s seat and turning off the over-head light.

Key stood up with the help of Jonghyun’s hand and took off the paper-bib, throwing the paper in the trash and putting the clips on the table.

Both walked out of the room in silence. Though it may have seemed awkward to others, their silence was comfortable. They both just knew. Jonghyun grabbed Key’s hand as they walked to the front counter. Jonghyun took over the computer that a frog-looking man was sitting in. The man walked to the front door and called out a name that Key couldn’t quite hear. As he looked back he saw the feminine-looking boy smiling widely at the man who called him. He could see in the boys face that he was in love. The two men walked towards a dentist room.

“Kibummie.”

Key looked back at his beloved, noting the nickname. Grinning as he signed the paper that Jonghyun handed him.

“Here’s your complimentary toothbrush.” Jonghyun said with a chuckle.

Key, still grinning, grabbed the toothbrush and noticed something else came with it.

“I’ll see you soon.” Jonghyun stated confidently as Key walked out the dentistry. Soon? What did he mean by that?

Key looked at the toothbrush in his hand and noticed a piece of folded paper. Unfolding it, Key smiled at the scribble writing. A number and a note. So cliché.

Let’s have coffee some time.’

It was official. Key loved the dentist.

 


 

Alright! I hoped you liked it!

I'm not new to fanfiction itself... but this is my first JongKey fanfiction.

Bear with me about any typos or poor grammar. I haven't typed a story in a looooooooong time.

But I hope this was interesting to read and not too boring. ( ̄◇ ̄;)

 

Don't be too excited about another one of my stories for a while though. I'm super lazy AND a procrastinator.   (^_^ ;)

 


 

Just uploaded my first chapter for my second story! (:

Check it out here: ( ^◇^)/