The notebook

Project Cheer up!

 

A/N: Truth be told, I kind of like this oneshot... At least I had fun writing it. :D

It's a Krisyeol fic for fudruckers and I honestly hope everyone enjoys it and comments and requests! 

One more thing, this chapter is also posted as an individual story here. You can check it out if you like. 

 

*****

Chapter 6: Krisyeol 

 

Chanyeol’s alarm went off with the most painful screech ever. It sounded something between kittens being run down by a truck and his mother shouting for him to eat his vegetables.

The half-asleep guy grimaced at the images and slowly got off bed.

“Baekhyun-ah…” He walked to the bed next to his and nudged his best friend to wake up as well.

“What time is it?” Baekhyun’s muffled voice came from under the covers.

“Seven.” Chanyeol looked briefly at the clock on the wall.

“I have no classes until ten, get away from me.” The smaller guy grumbled and turned around mumbling something about overbearing roommates and the possibility of getting a good night’s sleep without being interrupted.

“Then how about coming to the library with me?” The tall, curly-haired boy looked at the heap of covers that was his best friend and asked.

The pile moved a while, probably Baekhyun’s desperate attempt to find a way out of the bedcovers, and a head of brown hair appeared, eyes glaring at Chanyeol.

“I am not going to stalk ‘Angry Eyebrows’ with you.” Baekhyun stressed every word. “Not this morning. Not ever.

“His name is not ‘Angry Eyebrows’…” Chanyeol stuck his tongue out. “It’s Kris.”

“Please stop acting like you did not learn that by checking the ‘Borrowers’ List’.”  Baekhyun scoffed and fell back into his mattress.

“So what if I did?” The taller guy crossed his arms over a black, loose jumper.

“You’re a stalker.” His friend deadpanned. “You go to the college library every morning and wait for him to come, you borrow the books he reads, you even have that stupid diary where compose poems about his eyebrows, or something creepy like that.”

“It’s not a diary!” Chanyeol screeced and it sounded a little bit like his annoying alarm clock. “It’s a notebook.”

“I don’t see you denying the stalking and poem-writing, though.” In reality, Chanyeol was just interested in a guy much better looking and smarter than himself. And he went to certain extents and certain places to see aforementioned handsome and smart guy.

No use refusing that.

However, the things he put down on the notebook were, more like observations about the blonde guy’s way of living and habits, than fluffy love poems.

“I guess I am a stalker…” Chanyeol sighed desperately.

“I just don’t see why you can’t go up to him and say ‘hi’ instead of hiding behind bookshelves.” The shorter boy hugged his pillow and shuddered a little, before covering his head with a blanket. “And don’t give me a crappy excuse, like ‘he’ll never notice I exist’. You’re not a fourteen-year-old girl, so stop acting like one.”

“I haven’t found a chance to introduce myself. And I don’t want to come out desperate...” Chanyeol played with his curls absentmindedly.

“But you are desperate!” His roommate’s loud tone made the tall guy stumble back.

Chanyeol spent the entire ten minute walk to the library thinking about exactly how desperate he was.

He ranked himself somewhere between ‘completely desperate’ and ‘crawling on the floor with despair’.

And judging by the fact that he woke up at seven every day to go to the library because he knew Kris would be there, the result was pretty accurate.

Not to mention that he had already read sixteen books on International Relations (which wasn’t even his major) because the blonde Canadian read them.

Chanyeol felt to his bones just how big of a fool he was when the middle-aged librarian, greeted him with a bright smile and announced that his ‘secret boyfriend’ was at the ‘Social Science’ section.

And then he even winked.

The curly-haired Korean banged his head so hard on the ‘Psychological Theory’ section that the books trembled a little in their shelves.

But, despite the utter shame of being labeled as a stalker by both his best friend and the middle-aged librarian of his university, Chanyeol only lasted five minutes before cautiously stumbling to the left part of the library where the ‘Social Science’ section was located.

Kris was sitting close to one of the study tables, head hunched over some book about the effects of Globalization in the Eastern culture. The fresh sunlight of the morning was running through his blonde hair and Kris was rhythmically tapping his notebook with a black pencil and Chanyeol thought he was pretty much in love with him.

From time to time, the tall foreigner would flip to the previous page, re-read something with his thick expressive eyebrows meeting together over his nose and he would slowly scribble something on the notebook, using soft and energetic .

Chanyeol briefly shut his eyes, letting in the sound of the pencil moving on the paper flow in his system, absolutely certain that it was the best sound in the world.

Everything about Kris was magical to Chanyeol’s eyes. From his tall and straight posture, to the serious way his eyes roamed on the pages of library books and the soft sighs that he let escape his lips when it was nine and he needed to be somewhere out of this library and to the real world.

Chanyeol hated nine o’clock with a burning passion.

Because Kris was a Public Relations’ major and he had his classes at the other side of the campus from where Chanyeol’s Chemistry Department was located. So there was no chance for them to meet after nine.

The Korean pulled out his ‘stalker’ notebook, as Baekhyun had nicknamed it and turned a blank page.

‘February 3rd, 2013. Contemplate changing majors.’ He wrote down and then promptly drew a line, erasing it. He actually liked being a Chemistry major. Even though all his classmates called him ‘Mad Scientist Park’ and the smell of burnt skin never seemed to leave the labs.

He absent-mindedly checked his previous notes. Nothing resembling poetry, he consoled himself. Just small comments about how orange fitted Kris surprisingly well, but white was even better. Or how Chanyeol thought this one book, which Kris had read around three times was so confusing that the Korean had nothing good to say about except for the fact that it made him fall asleep within five minutes.

There was also this small sketch Chanyeol had made of a dragon that reminded him of Kris and quite a few paragraphs of the younger boy’s critique on Kris’ choice of earrings and hairstyles.

The conclusion was that the foreigner looked really hot with his hair in a small ponytail and should do it more, whereas, small, diamond earrings made him look like a girl, so Chanyeol had been strongly tempted to confiscate them a couple of times in the past.

Also, Kris should think about wearing thick-rimmed glasses.

Chanyeol could even let him borrow his, if he was able to actually talk to the guy.

The Korean smiled and wrote a little note about how Kris furrowed his eyebrows when he realized he had forgotten about something he just read and went to the previous page to check.

‘He looks tired.’ Chanyeol scribbled, stealing looks at the blonde’s dark circles. ‘He should have some coffee before coming here.’

He thought about how he would also love some coffee at that moment and without realizing it, wrote that part down as well.

“Ah, having coffee together every morning would be nice…” Chanyeol whispered against library books and then hurried to cover his mouth, since Kris was suddenly looking at the shelves right in front of him.

The Chemistry major was starting to debate whether Kris had heard him, or not, when, out of nowhere, the tall Canadian picked up his things and began walking towards him, in big steps.

At that point the curly-haired boy was having a mini panic attack, hands shaking and head turning left and right hysterically, while his feet stubbornly refused to move.

It felt almost like things moved in slow motion.

Kris turned to the aisle he was hiding and run his fingers across the books of the second shelve from the top, eyes checking around him for something that -Chanyeol was pretty sure- was not a crazy, curly-haired stalker.

Without thinking, the boy shoved the small ‘stalker’ notebook inside his backpack (that was open in his arms) and turned around to make a run for it.

“Erm… Excuse me.” Kris’ voice was soft and manly, but with a tinge of sarcasm and confidence, audible even when he whispered.

Chanyeol stood there, back turned to the other guy, heart beating out of his ribcage and brain going numb.

“I’m sorry. I’m looking for a book on ‘human uality’, do you happen to know where-” The blonde’s sentence was cut short with the loud ‘thud’ of Chanyeol’s backpack hitting the floor and the boy turning around, wearing his you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me expression.

It took Kris ten whole seconds to figure out what was wrong with his words and the Korean made a mental note to put down on his stalker notebook an entry about the tall Canadian being completely oblivious.

“Oh! No, it’s not like that. Actually, I have a course…” The older man rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. “I’m taking a selective course on ‘Individual Differences’ so…”

All the curly-haired boy could do was nod, his mouth still hanging open in surprised.

“Do you know where I can find a book like that?” Kris continued, a small, only slightly forced, smile on his lips.

“A-about human s-uality?” Chanyeol repeated, fully aware that he looked like an absolute idiot and that this was probably the worst first-meeting of his life.

The other nodded, like it was no big deal. “Yeah, I want to write a paper on homouality and its impact on society.”

That sent the Korean choking and blushing so much that he thought his face was on fire. Of course Kris was cool and confident enough to ask a complete stranger about books on homouality.

And to be honest, it wouldn’t have been so bad, had Chanyeol not been the blonde’s very awkward and very dedicated, male stalker for the past three months.

But Chanyeol was and so he had no other choice but to look down in shame and cover his moth with his hand, in some futile attempt to keep the whimpering to a minimum.

“Are you okay?” Kris sounded a little kinder, the conceited undertone in his voice disappearing completely.

“Are you against same- relationships? Or just very, very shy?” Chanyeol shook his head to both.

“Ah! Then, did… did I startle you?”  The Canadian laughed a bit.

“Sorry about that…” He said. “Sometimes I tend to come out too strong.” And he put a comforting hand on Chanyeol’s arm, which didn’t feel comforting at all, but instead made the boy jump a little on the spot, heart drumming in his ears.

“I-I have to g-go.” He stammered, kneeling down to pick his backpack and then backing away blindly. “Check t-the Psychology section, f-for your b-book.” He called out before practically running away from the guy of his dreams.

“That’s it.” He announced to a startled Kyungsoo, during lunch at the cafeteria. “I’m quitting this… this stalking thing.”

Kyungsoo had the decency to lower his chopsticks and stare at him. “I though you said it wasn’t stalking.”

“Of ourse ii wa talkin.” Baekhyun, right next to Kyungsoo, said through a mouthful of rice.

Chanyeol clicked his tongue in annoyance. “Well, whatever it was, I’m quitting it.”

“What happened? Did ‘Angry Eyebrows’ find out and called the police on you?” Jongin put in with a smirk, making the other two members of Chanyeol’s group snort in laughter and even spit out some rice.

“His name is not-” Chanyeol sighed, abandoning every attempt to reason with his friends. “If you want to hear the whole story, stop with the teasing.” He threatened and the three guys nodded obediently.

Chanyeol explained the situation, making sure to tone down the parts where he was an obsessive criminal taking notes on his victim and highlighting the points where Kris was a shameless foreigner who thought it was normal to ask about human uality and stuff.

“If you weren’t doing something wrong, you wouldn’t have freaked out so much. He only asked for a book after all.” Kyungsoo shrugged going back to his food.

“I know, right?” Jongin elbowed the somewhat short boy with the big eyes, sneakily.

“That’s why you should have just introduced yourself from the beginning, instead of being a coward.” Baekhyun added, ever so helpfully.

“He was too hot and I was shocked.” The curly-haired guy blurted out, before blushing slightly.

“So you decided to compose poems about his eyebrows instead.” Chanyeol decided he had had enough with Baekhyun’s jokes.

“I don’t write poems in my notebook.” He huffed and turned to pick up his backpack. “Here I’ll show you.” He announced and put both hands in to find said notebook.

He began by fishing out a tutoring prospectus that an annoying classmate had handed him earlier that day. Then came his keys, wallet, cellphone and a whistle that he didn’t even remember buying.

“It’s not here.” Chanyeol’s hands froze while holding out an old T-Shirt.  He looked up with wide alarmed eyes at his friends.

“It’s gone… The notebook is gone!” He said and it wasn’t exactly a shriek, because guys don’t shriek, but it went pretty close to it.

“The Stalker diary?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. “Maybe you forgot it at the dorm this morning.” He suggested, before he was interrupted by the sound of his tall friend’s head being bumped on the table.

“I had it with me in the library and then…” The memories didn’t flash, one after the other, in front of Chanyeol’s eyes, like they did in movies, but instead his mind went back to one particular moment from that morning.

Kris was asking him about his stupid book and he had been so shocked that he dropped his open bag on the floor. He could also vaguely remember something red and book-like flying away from it.

“I’m done.” He muttered face resting on the cafeteria table dejectedly. “Guys, it was nice putting up with you, but I’m afraid we have to say goodbye.” 

He closed his eyes, wistfully hoping it would help erase the memories, or even the actions altogether.

It didn’t.

“Why are you bidding us goodbye?” Kyungsoo pushed away his empty plate and asked.

“I’m going to prison guys! I’m done.” Chanyeol felt tears of embarrassment welling up in his eyes.

“I dropped my notebook in the library. In front of him. Which means he has it. The notebook.” The tall Korean had always led a low-profile life. Labeled as the class nerd and weirdo ever since middle school, no one had ever expected him to be rebellious, or particularly bold.

In fact, it was possible that the most adventurous thing he had done in his entire life was lie to his PE teacher back in school that he had a headache, in order to go buy Playstation 3 limited edition.

Until three months ago, he was a hard-working college student, following his dreams to be a Chemist and staying away from drinks, drugs and general trouble.

Then, Kris had appeared, like this impressive star from outer space and the Canadian was shining so bright that Chanyeol’s old life looked dull and boring.

And just like that the curly-haired boy had gone from blowing up his lab partners in Biochemistry to following around unsuspecting people and being declared a stalker by his best friends.

Plus, now that the cat was out of the bag there was public humiliation in store for him; and probably a cell with his name on it.

Chanyeol spent the next three days, hiding under his bed and going out only to grab a cup of ramyun which Baekhyun had kindly –or not so much- prepared for him.

He had also asked his friends to tell everyone that he had moved to Tibet to be a monk, or a Yeti, depending on which paid better.

Kyungsoo had smacked him at the back of his head, muttering how Chanyeol had probably offended at least a hundred deranged zoologists and an entire religion.

Two weeks later and after being thoroughly warned that he couldn’t afford to miss another class, the tall Korean was forced out of his hiding place.

He stumbled cautiously towards the Chemistry Department, with a cap and a big blue scarf wrapped around his neck and face, for good measure.

However, even in that disguise, he felt everyone’s eyes on him. Even people he had never met before were staring at him curiously, some whispering sneakily among themselves things that didn’t look like praises.

Junmyun, Chanyeol’s unfortunate lab partner, welcomed him in the class with a guilty look and a small pout.

“Ch-Chanyeol-ah…” He started, fidgeting awkwardly in front of a much taller Chanyeol.

“I didn’t know what was up, I promise! If I did, I wouldn’t have talked so… so carelessly about you. He looked so nice- and he kept asking everyone about you.  I never imagined he’d be...” Junmyun messed his hair and went on to chant apologies at the tall Korean.

“Now wait a second Junmyun-ah!” Chanyeol raised a hand to stop his lab partner’s babbling. “What’s the problem?”

The ‘problem’ was sitting on Chanyeol’s seat, at the far end of the class, his long arms crossed in front of his torso and his eyes pinned on the curly-haired Korean.

“K-Kris?!” This time it was definitely a shriek, the tall Chemist noted with disdain.

“Don’t even think about running away again.” Kris called out to him, standing up and walking past all of Chanyeol’s classmates who were looking shocked beyond belief.

And the curly-haired boy would have thought he was the one most terrified at that particular moment, had Junmyun not been seizuring and possibly hallucinating next to him.

“Hurry up and leave Chanyeol-ah, I’ll stall him.” Chanyeol thought it was rather nice of his lab partner to protect him in this way, despite the fact that he had burnt his hair more than three times this semester.

“If you dare leave, Park Chanyeol, I’m calling the police!” Kris who was now towering over Junmyun, growled, causing the tall Korean to freeze in place.

“The p-police?” Junmyun stepped back scared but managed to drag Chanyeol with him, protectively. “B-but you’re the criminal here!” He pointed at Kris accusingly.

The curly-haired boy furrowed his eyebrows. “Kris is not the criminal, though.” He told Junmyun who gave him a perfectly incredulous glance, together with the rest of his class.

“What are you talking about Chanyeol-ah? He-he admitted it!” Junmyun looked between the blonde Canadian and Chanyeol confused.

“Have a word with me, Park Chanyeol.” Kris deadpanned and it was only then that the tall Korean realized just how close he had come, almost backing him to the wall.

Chanyeol sighed and pulled off his cap. It was a lost cause, he decided. Besides, the longer he took to surrender the bigger the ruckus he would cause.

“Fine.” He nodded and motioned for Kris to follow him out of the building and in a quiet corner of the campus.

“I believe this is yours.” The blonde who had kept silent all the way there finally spoke, in a slightly annoyed tone, opening his bag and handing Chanyeol his stalker notebook.

“D-Did you-?” The only slightly short guy lowered his head and bit the insides of his mouth to keep from crying.

“Did I read it?” Kris provided. “Of course.” He said pointedly. “All fifty-seven pages of it.”

The Korean gulped audibly, feeling fear pooling at the bottoms of his stomach.  His mother would kill him if he went to prison.

“You followed me around for a whole semester. You took notes about what I did and what I was wearing, what my hair looked like...” At those words, Chanyeol’s eyes, having a mind of their own apparently,  fell on the blonde’s body.

He was wearing a white, loose jumper over dark, skinny jeans (the Korean wanted to strangle himself for focusing on the jeans) and on top of that his hair were tied in a small ponytail. He had no earrings on this time.

“…Read the books I was reading and even commented on them!” Meanwhile, Kris was going wild listing all of Chanyeol’s crimes, his flawless face making cute grimaces and his long hands flying on the air in wild gestures. Honestly, the younger boy didn’t want to find all this beautiful and feel just a little bit excited that he got to see this side of the blonde, but he did anyway.

“I cannot believe you’ve been stalking me for so long! This is crazy!” Kris finished with a loud groan and a frustrated eye-roll.

It was all true and the older man had every reason to be angry. Chanyeol looked at his shoes, thinking about how he used to be normal and never caused problems.

“It’s crazy, right?” He asked the Canadian in a deep voice. “I know it too; that I did something very bad to you.” For some reason Chanyeol wasn’t even feeling shame anymore. Just that overpowering melancholy, which makes you want to give up everything you tried so hard to have.

For this foolish obsession, the Korean had become someone bad, someone who made handsome people like Kris, shout and frown. And frankly, he didn’t like it one bit.

“How did I become a person like that? What’s wrong with me? Why did I do something shameful like that?” He spoke more to himself that the tall, blonde close by.

However, the other seemed perfectly curious about. “Why did you?”

His soft voice made Chanyeol raise his eyes at him. Kris didn’t look very ominous anymore and the lines of his face had relaxed into a pretty smooth pattern.

“You looked so impressive that first time I met you.” Chanyeol repeated the same explanation he had given his friends a million times before. “It’s not like I’m very shy. Actually, I’m very… goofy and sparky and bubbly.”

Bubbly?” Kris questioned.

“I mean high-spirited and playful and… stupid, really.” The curly-haired boy confessed.

“So I thought that if I went up to you and introduced myself, you’d find me absolutely ridiculous. And even if you didn’t, the two of us together… doesn’t it look weird?” Chanyeol wasn’t exactly ashamed of his style, or his crazy character. Yet it was obvious to him that this personality could never fit with Kris’ cool and refined behavior.

Just imagining the two of them sitting side-by-side, himself dancing excitedly about one thing or another and the Canadian standing there, uncomfortable and rigid, made Chanyeol shudder.

“You thought we’d be weird together. Because you’re bubbly and I’m not. That’s why you never talked to me…” The blonde foreigner, repeated somewhat astounded.

“Yes.” The younger boy nodded. “And I’m sorry, that I did what I did, I’m really sorry. You can call the police, if you like.” He bowed a little, biting his lower lip to keep the tears out.

“Calling the police would be a problem though…” Kris extended a hand, pulling the boy up, so that he would be standing straight in front of him.

“Why?” Chanyeol breathed out, startled and blushing.

“I only wanted to study in peace at the library. And then one day I met this guy and he was bubbly and cute and just when I was about to break my no-coffee-break rule for him, he ran away, like Cinderella, leaving a notebook behind.” The words caused the curly-haired Korean to widen his eyes in surprise.

“So I open this notebook, cause I’m kind of nosey, and it turns out that it’s full of comments about me. It’s super embarrassing and I had no idea I looked like a girl when I wore those diamond earrings.” There’s a soft pink color, covering Kris’ cheeks and Chanyeol briefly wonders if it’s because of the cold.

“But you were gone. Just when I wanted to ask you a million things, you disappeared and no matter how much I asked around no one knew where you went. A brown-haired guy with too much eyeliner, said you moved to the Himalaya, or Tibet to be a Yeti, but I figured…” Kris shook his head in a no-way fashion.

“Wait!” A light bulb was switched inside Chanyeol’s head at that. “You asked around?

The blonde nodded energetically. “A couple of people from my Department, then I talked to the librarian who said you were a Chemistry major and then I practically interrogated everyone from your class to tell me all about you.”

Chanyeol thought about the scared looks everyone was giving Kris back at the classroom.

“Oh! And I’m probably banned from Administration, because I kept asking for your student’s file.” The Canadian added with a shrug.

“Hey!” It might have been kind of foolish for the younger man to attempt looking offended, when his whole face was painted red in embarrassment, but he didn’t let that stop him from trying.

“Do you have a problem with that, Mad Scientist Park?” Kris had crossed his arms in front of him, throwing challenging looks at the Korean and using the nickname that his classmates had come up with.

“That’s stalking!” Chanyeol announced, feeling suddenly bold.

“To be honest, I’m one of those people who hate being in the dark. It felt so unfair that you knew all about me and I knew nothing about you.” This was a new side of Kris. One that Chaneyol hadn’t seen before. And the curly-haired guy realized the object of his stalking might not be as innocent and respectable as he had thought.

“So I have decided to be your stalker, Park Chanyeol-sshi.” The blonde’s eyes were breathing fires and he was smiling evilly, tempting Chanyeol to come closer and have that smirk wiped off the older guy’s face.

 “Is that what you told my classmates? That you were my stalker? Is that why they were so freaked out?” The Korean took a step forward, thinking about what the chances of him having a heated conversation with Kris really were.

“I told them I was going to follow you around, until you fall for me.” Kris put a hand on the boy’s face, caressing his cheek and not even bothering to hide a somewhat awestruck grin.

“Y-Yah! It’s only the second time w-we talk t-to each other, what a-are you doing?” Chanyeol said that, but remained in place, practically feeding off the warmth of the blonde’s hand on his face.

“I’m standing here, with a dorky Chemistry student, trying to figure out why I find the twitch in his left eye is so adorable.” Kris breathed out, tilting his head to the right to have a better view of the boy’s face.

“I’m also contemplating exactly what I will do to my bubbly stalker in the next ten seconds.” He added as his fingers ran down Chanyeol’s neck playfully.

“Are you joking around, because you know I like you?” It was a miracle really, that the Korean managed to say all that without whimpering, or stuttering.

“It’s good to know that you like me too.” Soft lips grazed the curly-haired guy’s cheek. “But, I never joke around. You might want to write that down.”

And Kris was obviously a crazy stalker and nothing like the impressive and unapproachable person Chanyeol thought he was, because he had no problem pulling the boy into a hot kiss and biting his neck until  Chanyeol was practically leaning onto him for support.

“I’m never apologizing to you again. You’re a bigger ert than I am.” Chanyeol whined later, as he tried to hide a hickey behind his scarf.

“I won’t ask for an apology.” Kris was sitting on a bench next to him, wearing an excited expression that the Korean had never seen on his face before. “But how about a coffee date tomorrow morning?”

Chanyeol wasn’t really in a position to say no.