Fourth Step: Becoming co-workers

One Step At A Time

“Hey I’m here. Hope I am on time. I mean, you guys didn’t specify the timing and we don’t even have any means of contact.” Byunghun chirped, waving a bag of candies in Sunyoung’s face.

Sunyoung scowled and pushed the candies away from her sight.

“Why are you here?” She said, shooting him a look that he was not welcome here in any way.

“Sunyoung!” Ji Eun hissed. “We’re glad that you’re here. Sunyoung even made you some meat broth to get you all warmed up in winter.” Ji Eun added, grinning.

 

When Byunghun saw the steam rushing out from the pot of soup, his face visibly brightened and he jokingly jabbed Sunyoung’s cheeks with his fingers. In return, Sunyoung merely ducked her head and scooted further away from him.

Little rascal.” He mumbled, “So you have been waiting for my arrival, haven’t you?”

“Geez. It’s either you drink the soup and leave or I will pour it straight into the sink.” She stood up and walked over to the sink.

“Aish, I will drink it. Why are you always so irritated?” He hurriedly grabbed hold of her hand and pouted in a way that would definitely send girls squealing. (Trust me, Sunyoung’s defences were this close to falling.)

 

Byunghun took a moment to chew on the meat thoughtfully before he looked up with those earnest, puppy eyes and asked, “Oh, are you guys hiring people to help out at the stall?”

Sunyoung crossed her arms and waited for him to make his point clear.

“So are you hiring?” He repeated and pointed at the poster stuck on the corner of the wall.

“Yup, do you have any one in mind?” Ji Eun spoke up, interested in his input.

“I do,” He took in a shuddering breath and that oddly left some form of suspense hanging in the air. “And that will be yours truly,” He commented and gave himself a pat on his back. His eyes crinkled in a smile, sending butterflies straight to Sunyoung’s stomach.

Sunyoung tore her eyes (somewhat hesitantly) away from that sight and rubbed her palms to calm her soul. After registering the meaning behind his words, she immediately pointed an accusing finger at Ji Eun and mouthed “DO NOT HIRE HIM.”

“That’s perfect. Are you able to come for work tomorrow?” Ji Eun first clapped her hands and then threw her hands up in the air, excited at the thought that she would now be able to watch the two’s interactions on a more frequent basis.

Sunyoung gaped at Ji Eun’s reply, utterly surprised that Ji Eun would turn a blind eye to her stance and hire this fellow so readily.

She took a quick glance at Byunghun, who was still busy stuffing his food with mouth, before retaliating, “YAH! Don’t you have better things to do? Gosh, you hooligans nowadays…”

Byunghun lifted his head and sighed, “Little rascal.”

He continued, “Stop calling me that. I am not a hooligan.”

“Why should I? Everything tells me that you are a hooligan. Quit denying.” She snapped, taking a step forward.

“Shh. Stop arguing. We’ll see you again at work tomorrow then. Don’t be late. Our working hours are from 4PM to 11PM.” Ji Eun interrupted, with a cheeky glint in her eyes. 

 

"Yeah sure. Oh before I forget, can you please give me Sunyoung's number?" He took a sip of the broth and handed his mobile phone over to Ji Eun.

"Of course." Ji Eun nodded and started punching in the digits.

Just as Sunyoung was about to snatch his mobile phone over, Byunghun held onto both of her hands and winked, " I assure you that I only need your number for work. Things will be kept strictly professional between the two of us.

 


A quick short chapter as I probably won't be able to update any time soon. Thanks for your comments :) Keep reading and continue to love Lunjoe <3