Attraction

Call Me Tae

“Hyung~” Taemin whined as his cousin pulled him along the sidewalk that Saturday.  “Where are we going?  Why won’t you tell me?”

“It’s a surprise!” Onew replied with a grin.

Taemin pouted.

“Don’t worry, you’ll like it!” he assured the younger boy.

“But…why am I in my disguise?”  He looked down at his clothes.  He was dressed in one of his non-uniform girl outfits.

“Because Minho will be there.”

Taemin’s eyes lit up.  “Oh!”  He stopped asking questions and wondered quietly where they were going.  He was a little excited now.  What did hyung plan?  I wonder if Jonghyun and Key will be there too.  He allowed himself a small smile…but it immediately faded when he saw the sign on the building they were entering.

“Karaoke?  That’s your big idea?”  He gave Onew an incredulous look.

The older boy grinned.  “C’mon, it’ll be fun!”

Taemin rolled his eyes but agreed to participate anyway.  I think he’s just using helping me as an excuse to do karaoke…  Onew was right though, it would be fun, if Minho was going to be there.

Onew waved at someone and Taemin looked to see who.  Minho, Jonghyun, and Key were just coming through the door.  The ‘girl’ grinned and ran over to them.  “So it’s all five of us?  Onew-hy…oppa wouldn’t tell me what was going on.”  Key caught Taemin’s slip of the tongue and looked at him sharply, but to both of their relief, nobody else seemed to have noticed.  Aish, it’s so difficult trying to remember to say oppa!  You’re a girl right now, Taemi- er, TaeYEON, he scolded himself mentally.  Don’t forget that.

“-yeon.”  Key was shaking Taemin by his shoulders.  “Taeyeon!”

Taemin blinked.  “Eh?”

“What are you thinking so hard about?”  Minho asked.  “We’ve been trying to get your attention.”

“Oh…”  He frowned.  I keep forgetting to answer to that, since it’s not my real name.  It’s weird being called that.  Aish, it’d be so much easier if…  “Call me Tae,” he finished the thought out loud.  He smiled at them.

“Okay, then Tae, which song do you want to sing?  You’re going first.”

“Um…”  Think, Tae, think…I should pick a girly song, right?  “Do they have Marshmallow?”

“By IU?”  Key checked.  “Yeah, it’s here.”

“I’ll do that one.”  He heard a snicker from the corner where Onew was sitting holding in laughter, and giving him a look that said, ‘are you really gonna sing that?’  He ignored it and tapped his foot with the beat as the music started.

“Mallang mallang, mallang mallang, hae~♪”

They sang for a couple of hours, taking turns doing solos or duets, and sometimes they would pass the mic around the room and all of them would contribute a few lines to the same song.  Taemin was having so much fun that he almost forgot about his disguise.  He had a few more slips in his speech, but everyone was enjoying themselves too much to notice anything, including Taemin himself.  He was dancing to a song that Onew was singing, not noticing that a pair of eyes was watching his every move.

 

Minho sat frozen in his seat, his eyes glued to the ‘girl’ dancing in front of him.  Wow, she was amazing!  How could she move her body like that?  She looked so natural when she was dancing…and she was hot, too.  Especially the way her hips swayed.

The song ended.  Jonghyun and Key were up next for a duet.  Taemin flopped himself down in the seat next to Minho, letting out an exhausted sigh.  “Wooh!  That was fun!”  He grinned and grabbed his drink.  While he sipped on it, Minho’s eyes wandered over his face and fixed themselves on his lips, watching the way they moved slightly as he drank, thinking they looked so soft, so inviting…so kissable.  Minho unconsciously his own lips.

Taemin suddenly turned to look at Minho, and the older boy forced himself to look away quickly.  He grabbed his own drink and gulped it down, attempting to hide his flushed face in the cup.  He felt his heart beating rapidly, and he hadn’t even been dancing like Taemin had.

Minho vaguely heard Onew address him.  “Minho, your song is next.”  As he got up and grabbed the microphone, he admitted to himself, I think Jonghyun was right.  I do like her.  He glanced at Taemin once more.  I like her a lot.

 

At lunch on Monday, Minho couldn’t seem to take his eyes off of ‘Taeyeon’.  Key noticed and pulled him aside, far enough away that Taemin wouldn’t hear them.  “Okay, spill it.”

“What?”  He feigned ignorance.

Key rolled his eyes.  “You’ve been staring at Tae for a while now.  You’ve fallen for her, haven’t you?”

Minho hesitated, but from the look on his friend’s face he figured there was no point in denying it.  “Yeah.  I have.”

Key smirked.  “You should ask her out then.”

“Ask her out?”  He glanced over at Taemin sitting at their table, happily conversing with Jonghyun.  “I don’t know…”  He frowned.  “What if she doesn’t like me?”

“Then you’ll get rejected,” Key stated simply, shrugging his shoulders.

Ouch.  Way to be blunt, Key.

“I don’t think you’ll have to worry about that though,” Key added, patting him on the shoulder.  “Go for it!”

Before Minho could wonder what his friend had meant, Key had dragged him back to the table to resume their normal lunchtime activities, which consisted of eating, talking, joking around, and staring at ‘Taeyeon’.  Well, maybe that last bit was only something Minho did.

Key didn’t give Minho much time to decide whether to ask her out.  In fact, he didn’t give the poor boy any choice at all.  After lunch he patted Taemin on the shoulder and said, “Tae, our Minho here has something to ask you.”  He winked at Taemin and then dragged Jonghyun away, shooting Minho a look that clearly told him what was in store for him if he chickened out.

Minho stared after his best friends as they abandoned him, then turned to find Taemin looking up at him expectantly.  His heart pounded in his chest.  He cleared his throat.  “Um, Tae…”

“Hmm?”

He swallowed hard, trying to calm his nerves.  What if he was rejected?  They were such good friends now, and he didn’t want to ruin that.  He knew Key would kill him though.  What did he have to lose?  A lot, actually, but as he looked into Taemin’s eyes he decided that it was worth it.  He had to give it a shot.  Ignoring his rapid heartbeat and increasing nervousness, he finally voiced his question.

“Tae, will you go out with me?”


A/N - Writing this left me so gender confused... XD;

And yes, I snuck one of my favorite K-pop songs in there. ;)  I love IU.