One

Reunion

Hyoyeon had her eyes staring intently at the photo in her hand; the picture she took years ago, the one she had cherished for a long time now. Her mind flew on the phone call she had with her fried just a few minutes ago; which brought her back to the memory, to the guy whose hand was on her shoulder in the picture. The one who made her constantly smiled years ago; whose face was still unwilling to leave her mind even now, after seven years had passed.

We will have our school reunion very soon. Will you come?

Will she come? The question had struck her so many times since the first time her friend said it to her. The high school reunion. It had been five years since she left high school. Seven years since the last time she saw Hyukjae. Precisely six years and seven months since the last time they had any contact. It was for her birthday, when Hyukjae texted her to wish her a happy birthday and she replied with a simple thank you. And that was the very last conversation they had.

She missed him, for sure. She missed him so bad that it became a very routine of her life for seven years now. It was all sweet memories they had. It remained that way until now even though her heart ached several times when she missed him. The memories never failed to bring her smile in the end, remembering his mischievousness, his bright gummy smile, and his way of calling her name.

She loved him that much.

_______

 

New Semester, 2004

“Welcome to Incheon High. We really hope you would make us proud and be a better person when you graduated from this school.” the principal ended his speech and the students started to scatter with enthusiastic murmurs. Hyoyeon walked slowly to the door, unsure of what to do. She was a new student and she didn’t seem to have anyone she recognized in that crowd. She tried hard to maintain her confident walk, trying hard not to show people that she felt lost being alone on the first day. That was until a very familiar voice called out to her right when she reached the door.

“Hyo!” the bright voice called out and Hyoyeon turned around to face a smiling brightly Hyukjae. “You enter this school?” he said, asking the obvious. Hyoyeon nodded timidly, keeping cautious eyes at his friends, her seniors at the school. They looked very tall and intimidating in her young eyes, and she felt like she had lost all her ability to speak loudly. Fortunately, Hyukjae understood the situation.

“Don’t worry, they are nice.” he reassured, flashing his infamous gummy smile. “He’s Kyuhyun; he’s on the second year. And this is Siwon, and Donghae. They are my classmates.” he continued, introducing his friends one by one.  Hyoyeon shook their hands weakly while mumbling her name. Hyukjae was her senior too when they were in junior high. She had never been that close to him, so it felt awkward for her having to chat with him accompanied by the three ‘big seniors’ whose names she even started to forget right after Hyukjae mentioned them.

“Hello.” she unsurely bowed. The four laughed at her obvious awkwardness, making Hyoyeon felt even more timid.

“Do you know anyone in your class?” Hyukjae asked, to what Hyoyeon responded with a weak ‘no’. It was true. None of her friends, at least the ones who were close with her, continued to that school. Hyoyeon was practically alone with the people she barely knew, and she wasn’t even the type to adapt quickly either. Hyukjae examined her unenthusiastic expression and suddenly called a random passing by girl.

“Hey, you. New student, right?” he asked. The girl nodded warily, probably scared of what people said as senior’s bullying. But Hyukjae put a friendly smile when he continued asking again.

“Which class?” he asked.

“Er, class 1-A.” she answered. Hyoyeon raised her head in surprised hearing it. She was in the same class with that girl. Discreetly, he observed the girl who was now standing anxiously with both her hands were put timidly in front of her body. She was skinny and tall, significantly taller than Hyoyeon for sure. Her skin was rather dark, and she had short hair.

“Hyoyeon, which class are you?” Hyukjae shifted his attention to Hyoyeon, making the poor girl flinch a bit. “Am I that scary?” he laughed seeing her reaction. Hyoyeon smiled apologetically; she didn’t intend to deliver that impression to him.

“It’s not that. I was in a daze. We are in the same class.” she answered, smiling to the girl. That girl beamed hearing that. She automatically paid more attention to Hyoyeon as well.

“Well, then it’s perfect. You two can get along well. And Hyoyeon, if you get anything you need, or you want to ask something, don’t hesitate to find me, okay? I’m in class 3-C.” he said. His friends apparently were starting to get bored with the conversation and motioned for Hyukjae to leave, and so he left with his friends, waving his hands to Hyoyeon.

“Wanting to look cool in front of the junior?” Donghae . He was friends with Hyukjae since they entered high school, and it was not like Hyukjae to pay attention to someone that much.

“Hey, she’s my junior from junior high.” Hyukjae eluded. “There’s not many of us entering this school. Of course I should pay attention to her.” he continued with a proud tone.

“And why is that? Because this school is too hard for you all?” Kyuhyun grinned, earning a smack from Hyukjae.

“Because it’s far, you troll!” he strangled Kyuhyun’s playfully while Donghae and Siwon were watching, entertained.

Hyoyeon and the other girl watched the boys playing around from a distance before shifting their attention to each other, still feeling slightly awkward.

“You are Hyoyeon, right? I think he called you that.” the tall girl said. It wasn’t obvious before since they were with the seniors and all, but she actually got a loud voice. She smiled brightly, giving a friendly vibe to her. “I’m Sooyoung. Choi Sooyoung.” she continued, extending her hand to Hyoyeon. Hyoyeon shook her hand, smiling.

“Yes, I’m Hyoyeon. Kim Hyoyeon.”

_____

 

One month after entering high school, 2004.

The school was quiet with only the voices of students having club activities being heard. Hyoyeon rubbed her aching legs, slightly grumbling. She regretted her choice choosing the dance club so bad. Not only it was divided into girls and boys (she wouldn’t lie, having male seniors would give her more advantage being a girl), she also had to keep up with her female seniors continually raging moods. That day was only an example. Her seniors just stated that dancers need strong energy, so in order to train that, all the female juniors in the club had to run ten laps around the school building. On how it related to dancing, Hyoyeon had no idea. Truthfully, she thought it would be way better if they wasted energy were used to practice dancing instead.

If only she followed Sooyoung to drama club. But drama wasn’t her passion. Dancing was.

Hyoyeon didn’t pay any attention at all to her surroundings until a ringing sound of bell disturbed her thought. She quickly moved aside to let the bike which just made the bell sound passed her. But the bike stopped in front of her, and Hyoyeon could only make a stiff smile as she saw her senior’s smile. Hyukjae. It was him again. He had already been extremely friendly around her being her senior in the dance club, but that didn’t give her any advantage at all. In fact, it ruined her. Her female seniors didn’t like a junior being too close to a male senior, no matter who initiated the closeness. She had been receiving sharp glance from several female seniors and she didn’t like the way Hyukjae’s friendliness led her to her state.

“Hyukjae sunbae.” she had said politely, bowing her head with an expressionless smile. Hyukjae, however, wasn’t taken aback by the obvious space Hyoyeon had created. He descended from the bike, much to Hyoyeon’s disappointment. Hyoyeon initially hoped that Hyukjae would leave after the mere greeting; the sooner the better.

But Hyukjae wasn’t planning that. He gazed at Hyoyeon’s hand which repeatedly rubbed her legs, and then pointed to his bike.

“Want a ride?”

Hyoyeon hesitated. It was tempting; his offer. Hyoyeon could really use some ride to the bus halt with her aching legs.

But Hyoyeon wasn’t sure if the help would be worth it compared to the trouble she would potentially have with her seniors should someone saw her riding on Hyukjae’s bike.

Hyukjae’s lips curved up into a smile as he watched Hyoyeon threw several hesitating looks at the school. He knew. He had witnessed how silly a female senior could get in their so-called way to educate their juniors.

“They won’t see. I bet they’re in the cafeteria now. I saw them before taking this bike.” He ensured her with a knowing look. “So you come with me, or not?” He asked again, raising his brows. And that was when Hyoyeon’s hesitation gone. She bowed again gratefully, and replied, this time with a positive answer.

“I would love a ride. Thank you very much.”

_____

 

Hyoyeon didn’t sure when it was started; her deep feelings for him. It just happened, like pressing a button. One moment, she was merely seeing him as a good senior to her. But the next moment, it was suddenly different. Her heart would beat faster every time he got closer; and her stomach would be filled with butterflies, it hurt.

And just then she realized, her button was pressed.

She was falling. Deep.

 


 

Thanks a lot for subscribing and commenting. :)