Four Rivers

Four Rivers

He’d do it. He’d say it to her face now. No longer could he go on with this. Things had lasted way too long already. She took his breath away in a suffocating series of intriguing events, all of which he ended up losing his sense of grip in. Of course those events were cold, for she was a cold person. If he should compare her to an animal, she’d make an excellent cobra; distant, elegant, unpredictable and highly venomous, yet demanding his attention with her smooth, almost dancing, movements.

She was the coldest person he had ever met, yet he was completely absorbed by her. It was as if she had laid a spell on him. She had made a magnet of him, one that was only and at all times looking for her. However, she kept turning her pole, making him aimlessly run around her, like a projectile without direction.

Junhyung himself wasn’t that much of a good guy, he happened to like playing games, but she was much crueler. She attached herself to him, like a snake wraps itself around its prey. And like one can’t kiss a snake without serious consequences, Junhyung suffered hard. For months he had now lived like a marionette onto her strings. This wasn’t his game, it was hers and Junhyung needed a breath, or he’d suffocate.

With the sun sinking low above the horizon, Junhyung made haste to reach her house before sunset. It was late and his visit was unexpected. Not that it ever was expected, he had never been invited inside and he had never seen her parents, if they even lived with her. It was highly likely they did, for the house was rather large and looked nothing short of a small palace, albeit black and hidden in the woods of the garden. A fence wasn’t even needed, nobody would want to enter a place like that anyway, yet Junhyung was walking up their lane, when the sun hit the horizon.

Her name was Sa Kang, or ‘Four Rivers’ and she was as mysterious and beautiful as she was cold. She had long black hair, which was soft like silk, hanging down her back. Her large black eyes were so piercing that Junhyung sometimes thought they actually hurt him. She had a milky tea colored complexion with a slender body and small hands with long fingers. Fingers that Junhyung had so often looked at in his hands and the same fingers that told him to stop equally as often.

Then there was Junhyung, a little over average muscle, a little below average height, brown haired and brown eyes. Quite popular in high school, still popular in college, but completely uninterested in it, since it didn’t concern Sa Kang.

Junhyung brushed his palms along the side of his head before knocking on the door. There was no bell. There was no number or name either. Just the black wood dividing the space into inside and outside. A cold sensation went through his body as a light wind began blowing. A few leaves fell from the trees, although summer was still fully ongoing. Shrugging Junhyung waited for the door to be opened.

Just when Junhyung raised his fist to knock a second time, the door clicked out of its lock. Surprised, but not shy, Junhyung stepped inside, after briefly watching his surroundings. If she was going to play it like this, he might as well take the lead and play it bold.

What he saw inside was not in the least what he had expected. The lights were off, but a soft glow emanated from a thin mist hanging low above the concrete floor. Sa Kang was nowhere in sight, the house didn’t look inhabited at all. There were no rooms, just open spaces on different levels. A broad stairway of massive concrete without railing led up to a place Junhyung couldn’t see clearly. There was no furniture and not one facility, but the place wasn’t empty. Everywhere lay junk, covered in thick layers of gray dust. Junhyung slowly walked to the middle of the house, where an open space was created between all the dusty car parts, wooden boxes, ripped clothes, broken neon signs and all. A sad looking teddy bear watched him with his one eye, the other eye was lost somewhere. For a second Junhyung thought he spotted a hint of pity from it, but he had not the time to think about it, for an alluring voice whispered his name.

“Junhyung…” The voice repeated, it was Sa Kang, but Junhyung couldn’t make out where she was. The sound of her soft voice entered both his ears as if she was whispering in them directly, which was pretty impossible, but even so, she wasn’t at his side.

Suddenly he saw a white clothed form moving in the back of the house and instantly he found his legs running into that direction. Willingly he followed the figure into the backyard. Sa Kang was leading the way, her thin silken dress blowing in the wind. If Junhyung hadn’t been too occupied by her, he’d have seen all the leaves had fallen and the garden looked dispirited in the absence of any living plants.

His chest was tight, the presence of Sa Kang suffocated him in a physical manner, but she had taken possession of him and he returned to her every time, like a junk. He had already started to forget the purpose of his visit. With his hand he reached out to her. Tauntingly she smiled back at him and stepped away, down the little flight of stairs that submerged into the shallow water. That’s when Junhyung first noticed the strange streams in her backyard. Sa Kang had just stepped into the pool that connected four streams, running away into the four directions of the wind.

“Junhyung, are you mine?” Sa Kang’s soft voice asked. Something in it was demanding, yet Junhyung wasn’t able to detect it any longer. His response was as immediate as it was determinate.
“I’m yours!” He had said it before any consideration crossed his mind, let alone all the objections he’d had.

Soft rain was falling, making small circles in the surface of the water. Sa Kang was wading through the pool, the water coming up to her waist. Junhyung watched her dancing movements as she walked up to his side again, letting her long fingers move delicately through the surface of the water. Slowly he walked up to her, even though his lungs were giving him trouble again.

“Who am I?” Sa Kang asked as Junhyung stood at the edge of the pool, at the top of the stairs.
“S-sa… Kang…” Junhyung said with difficulty, clutching the railing of the stairs. “Four… Rivers…”
Sa Kang didn’t look at him, her gaze was stuck at the height of his sneakers and with surprise Junhyung witnessed how Sa Kang showed a real emotion for the very first time. A tear slowly slid down her cheek, became a droplet on her jaw line and then submerged into the water, emerged and became one with it.
“Don’t cry…” Junhyung breathed and reached forward to touch her cheek and wipe her eyes, but she moved away.
“My name is a unity…” She hissed, a sudden venomous undertone was in her voice. The rain fall had grown more vicious and colder. Sakang grabbed Junhyung’s arm and pulled him into the pool, roughly, with a power that didn’t suit her tiny form. The water felt like recently melted ice, stark and heavy. The rain slowly turned into snow.

Junhyung felt the life seeping out of him. He was tricked, lured into the trap of a monster. It was too late when he realized Sakang as a unity meant ‘death space’. And just like the four rivers, the death space existed within Sakang’s presence.


Sorry for killing Junhyung!! ^^"