07

Where the Frivolous Gather

07 (EunHae)

Two bodies sat close to each other on the snowy ground, holding hands and sharing timid glances. They stared down at the frozen water as if they were waiting for something magical to happen at the strike of 12 o’ clock. The brunet traced a heart into the snow, writing 해혁 habitually into the centre of it, knowing full well that the other was watching.

“You’ve got it wrong.” The blue haired one sighed, wiping away the characters, “It’s supposed to be혁해. How many times do I have to remind you?”

He drew the ‘correct’ characters into the middle of the heart, smiling smugly at the other. It was always the same argument with them, though it was more of a playful tiff than an argument really.

“I think it sounds better my way.”

“I think you should let go of that wishful thinking, Hae.” He laughed.

“You’ve grown cold, Hyuk.”

“It’s only -24◦ out.” Hyukjae giggled at the glare on Donghae’s face, “I’m sorry, I’ll play nice.”

Donghae nodded in appreciation, trying to hide the small smile he felt coming on.

He was pretty sure Hyukjae had no idea what this little game meant to him. It was more of a secretive form of reassurance than anything, just a way to make sure Hyukjae still believed in them, still wanted to stay together. His reactions wouldn’t seem significant to anyone else, but to Donghae even the slightest downward twitch of Hyukjae’s mouth was detrimental.

“Can you believe all we’ve been through these past few years?” Hyukjae mused, little doodles into the snow.

“We’ve had it a little rough, haven’t we?” Donghae agreed, watching every move Hyukjae made.

“I’m glad I have you to help me through it.” Hyukjae turned to face the brunet, a semi-wistful look on his face.

Donghae panicked, not able to predict exactly where this was going. Hyukjae sensed him freaking out and grabbed his hand, smiling softly at him as he pressed a kiss onto each of Donghae’s knuckles. The brunet sighed and leaned further into Hyukjae, craving for his warmth to encase him completely.

“I don’t think I would’ve made it this long without you, Hae, if I had to be honest.” He intertwined their fingers, laying their clasped hands onto his bony thigh and rubbing circles onto the back of Donghae’s hand.

“Hyukjae,” Donghae exhaled, tears filling his eyes almost instantly, “I can say the same for you. You have no idea how much you mean to me.”

The brunet began sniffling, trying his best to keep the tears at bay. Hyukjae released his hand and wrapped an arm around him instead, pulling him close. Donghae nuzzled his head into the crook of the blue haired boy’s neck, laughing breathlessly at the ridiculous hair colour. He had no idea why Hyukjae had grown a new affinity for dying his hair outlandish colours, but he hoped the phase would end soon.

“This is supposed to be a happy moment, Donghae. Stop crying.” Hyukjae murmured into his hair, shielding his face from the biting wind.

“I can’t help it.” Donghae choked out, “You can’t just say nice things like that and expect me to not cry.”

“My little cry-baby,” Hyukjae cooed, running his hand gently down the side of Donghae’s face.

Donghae looked up at him with his big, brown eyes and damp lashes. Hyukjae laughed at his expression, flashing his signature gummy smile with the gorgeous eye crinkles that came along with it. The brunet pouted, sobbing lightly with a watery smile.

“You’re going to make me cry if you don’t stop.” Hyukjae complained, tears his water line.

“I can’t stop.” Donghae wailed.

Hyukjae chuckled and immediately released the sob he was holding back. He cried along with Donghae, though they weren’t quite sure what they were crying about to begin with. The couple continued their weeping episode, tangled up in each other and laughing (they weren’t attractive laughs) at the absurdity of this whole ordeal.

“Okay, okay” Hyukjae breathed, finally simmering down to sniffles, “no more crying. I’m going to get a headache.”

“I already have one.” Donghae whined, still releasing after-whimpers.

“You wouldn’t have one if you weren’t such a cry-baby!”

“You’re one too!” Donghae sniffed, “I’m not the only one who cried!”

“I think you’re mistaken.” Hyukjae said, “The wind was drying out my eyes, so my body decided to help out and release tears to keep them hydrated.”

“Hyukjae!”

A punch to the arm.

“I’m sorry.” Hyukjae said, but he didn’t sound sorry at all.

Another punch to the ribs.

“Ow! Owww!” Hyukjae complained, “Okay, fine! I’m a cry-baby too, but not as big of one as you are.”

“You are actually the worst.”

“Yet you still love me.” Hyukjae smiled pompously.

“I’m reconsidering my feelings.”

“Why?” Hyukjae drawled out, “I love you.”

Donghae’s eyes sparkled and Hyukjae couldn’t resist anymore. He leaned in, both closing their eyes simultaneously as their lips touched. Sparks, sighs, smiles.

And it was tears all over again.


hyukjae and donghae just had to go and post those photos of them being all lovey dovey and spending the first day of the new year together ughUGHHHH. How could I not write this?! omg they're both such cry babies I could just imagine them sitting around crying all day they are so real (can you tell I have massive feels rn)

freaking eunhae will be the death of me.

Comment if you wish! ♥