Chapter 3

Touched by an Angel


“Oh . Why did you accept his offer? Happily walks into his trap, head first. Didn’t I warn you about Heechul?” Kyuhyun seethes, pulling over his sparkling red convertible in front of an old white building. “And I don’t ing understand why I’m assigned to see you pull this through. I don’t really care whether I get those wings or not.”

Everything seems to happen so fast, Donghae doesn’t even remember chronology of the event. All he remembers is that he ended up with The Eye in his hand and Kyuhyun cursing endlessly beside him, ordering him to step into the luxurious vehicle waiting for them as soon as they exited the building. And as soon as he buckles up, the scene changes in a blink of an eye.

“So, what are you waiting for? We’re here” the door snapped aloud, Kyuhyun taps his foot impatiently, waiting for his passenger to get out “This, my friend, is Earth” Kyuhyun spreads his arms open dramatically.

“Right…” Donghae looks around, fazed by another new world. He can’t even remember when was the last time he set foot on the human world, but then again, it most probably due to his sealed memories. He quickly jumps out, rubbing his nape nervously “Are sure it’s okay for us to leave your car here?”

Kyuhyun snaps his fingers and the car vanishes, “No one can see it, you know. The only reason we Death God drive is because we can. The best mode of transportation is actually through The Eye. You can get from point A to point B a click away.”

“And the humans can’t see us?” Donghae observes the crowd carefully, noting that most of them are in different kinds of uniform, rushing around.

“Nope. Not at all. Only the dead can see us. So, for those who can see you, either they are the lost souls that need your assistance, other Death Gods working here, or, simply ghosts. And of course there are angels too” he exclaims, purposely walking through some humans to prove his ponit. “The only time the human can see us is when we turned into their kind.”

“Eh? We can turn into human?” Donghae exclaims loudly, a mix feeling of surprise and confuse “Why?”

“You’ll know the answer when the time comes. Anyway, it’s all installed in The Eye function. But, a day will be deducted, every time you transform. So, use it wisely” Kyuhyun remarks monotonously.

“Hmm. Okay” a nervous mumble escaped his lips, looking a bit perplexed over the whole situation “What am I supposed to do now?”

 “You just need to study this device thoroughly. But remember, you are not allowed to share any of your secret with them” Kyuhyun taps the small device Donghae was holding.

“I’m not planning to” Donghae replies with a shrug, unable to hide his feeling over the absurdity of Kyuhyun’s reminder.

“Now, listen. This is the Seoul University Hospital. You’ll be spending your time here for the next two months, trying to get your out of Heechul’s evil scheme. Since I still need to do my usual job of collecting souls, I’ll leave you to your task. If there’s anything you need, just give me a holler through The Eye” he says while scanning his schedule “So, any questions before I go?”

“Do you think Siwon hates me?” Donghae asks hesitantly, wetting his lips as he averted his eyes from Kyuhyun deathly glares.

Kyuhyun gasps and exclaims in disbelief “Are you seriously asking me this question now?”

“I’m just curious. Well, today was my first time meeting him, even though he looks kinda familiar. But for some reason, I can’t shake the feeling that he hates me” Donghae says honestly, staring straight into the Death God’s eyes, searching for an answer.


“I don’t think you should bother with such trivial things. Siwon hating you is the least you should be worrying off” Kyuhyun scoffs, trying to brush the question away. But looking at the pitiful face the other is donning, he gives in “I guess, you just don’t know Heechul well enough, to actually understand the real you are in” Kyuhyun shakes his head, sighing lowly “But, since I’m in a good mood, I’ll spare you a moment.”

Entering the main entrance, the two walks side by side exploring the busy hospital and exchange pleasantries with other of Kyuhyun’s kind, which there are a few, with all sorts of characters, and weird fashion statement. There was one named Jo-kwon, happily parades in a feathery long coat, Doo-joon, in squeezing tight leather pants and Taecyeon, tastelessly walking half flashing his greasy toned abs. It doesn’t make sense at all, and he’s glad, Kyuhyun seems decently sensible.

Their short tour ended up in an empty room, with a wide glass window overlooking the park, and a single stalk of pale white rose blooming in a small vase by the bedside. Kyuhyun jumps on the bed and leaning his back on it “Siwon always wanted to be an angel, saying he has someone he wanted to protect. But, it’s a silly dream he will never achieve.”

Donghae listens attentively, digesting Kyuhyun’s words carefully, noting the bitterness laced in it.

“So, when you, ungratefully condemned your job, I guess it just ticked him off” Kyuhyun says bluntly.

Donghae carefully sits on the other empty white bed, positioning himself to face the Death God “But why can’t he become an angel.”

“A death god will never be an angel no matter what. Because we’ve committed the biggest sin when we were alive” Kyuhyun explains grimly “We committed suicide.”


**************************


It’s only the third day, but Donghae has already reached his limit “Ahhh! I’m so up” he curses on top of his lungs, knowing perfectly well no one could hear him “There’s no ing soul who wanted to go back.”

For the past three days, he has asked, begged, threatened a total of 13 souls that were wondering around in the hospital, but no one wanted to move on to the afterlife. They all seem shrewdly content, being stuck between the two worlds. He has no idea why. As far as he understand, a wandering soul will end up as a ghost; a soul without memories.

Tired, he lazily slumps against the rail, straightening his legs on the cold floor. The rooftop is the only place he’s able to find solace to gather his thoughts, away from the maddening crowd. After days stuck within the white walls, dodging humans that he is starting to hate, chasing lost souls, Donghae finally realizes he’s in deep . And picturing Heechul laughing at his failure sends shiver to his spine.

Scanning the thin device, Donghae finally decides to swallow his pride and call for help. Click.

Abruptly, a soft squeaking sound comes from the metal door. Donghae sits up straight, expectantly says “Wow, you’re fast.”

As he tilts his head to the direction, his eyes widens; it is not Kyuhyun.

A listless looking guy, clothed murky green jumper, covered by his crisp white coat and a messy brown hair, walks in with tired strides. As the guy neared him, Donghae finally sees his face clearly, admiring the other’s smooth pale skin, define cheekbones and his hazel brown eyes; vacant, yet, captivating. His thin lips purses tightly as his long fingers wander on his already disheveled hair.

Sitting next to Donghae, he sighs deeply “Such a long day. I’m so tired.”

Donghae feels his stomach churn, inhaling the sweet scent of the other, as he stumbles with his words “It is.”

Entering the unknown world was nerve wracking. Meeting Kyuhyun, Siwon and Heechul is almost disturbing, but his stomach is doing flips for a complete different reason at that very moment. Reasons he can’t understand “Are you a Death God send by Kyuhyun?”

Rubbing his thin nape tiredly, the guy replies quietly “So many people died today. I’m still not use to all this.”

Averting his eyes, Donghae nods sympathetically “I know what you mean.”

“Am I really suitable for this job?” the guy mumbles between sighs.

Donghae bit his lips, not knowing how to respond.

Then the silence between them breaks, the squeaking sound once again fills in the cold night “Hyukjae, are you there?”

Donghae notices the guy next to him fidgets slightly before answering “Ryeowook, can’t you just let me have my smoking break in peace?”

“I thought you’ve stopped smoking years ago?” the guy walks in with a wide grin plastered on his face.

“I did. But I still have the right to enjoy smoking breaks” the guy called Hyukjae stands and meets the other guy half way.

A loud laugh erupts from the short-haired guy, as he playfully cling his arms around the good looking stranger, and drags him to the door “You are not making sense at all, doctor.”

Fighting the sudden urge to pull the two apart, Donghae stares at their back; until their shadows disappear behind the metal door. He really doesn’t understand the weird pang he’s feeling inside.

Suddenly a familiar voice rang next to him “You rang.”

Surprised, Donghae holds his chest tightly “. You scare me.”

“I’m a Death God. That’s supposed to be part of my job” Kyuhyun says proudly.

As his heart finally stops wavering, Donghae asks “I thought you sent the other guy to help me out.”

“Who?” he asks, arching his perfectly trimmed brows wickedly.

“The one who was sitting next to me a moment ago, before the other guy came and took him away” Donghae tries his best to sound disinterest “The one called Hyukjae”.

Kyuhyun just laughs, slugs him in the shoulder “He’s not one of us. He’s a doctor, a pediatrician, to be exact. I heard he’s good with his hands, but for some weird reason, he’s doing babysitting instead. But he does help out in the emergency ward whenever on duty, like today.”

Shaking his head, Donghae argues “But he was talking to me, just now.”

“Nope, he was talking to himself” he replies firmly. “You’ve been here for 3 days and you still can’t tell difference between humans and whatnot” Kyuhyun mocks as he gets on his feet.

“But, he’s so pretty” his words trail off.

“Let’s go. I found you a lost soul for you to work with” Kyuhyun pulls The Eye and clicks it.


******************