Sweet Tranquility

Melodies of the Night

 

“Who the heck plays music at 2am in the morning?” asked the girl, as she’s wandering around trying to follow the melody. It sounds beautiful. She cuts through yards and gardens trying her best to use her ears in order to follow the sound of the notes.

There it is, a person playing such wondrous music in the middle of the night. She stepped closer observing who this person could be. It was a boy, a good-looking boy. She stayed there, hidden in the shadows listening to the boy playing on his guitar.

“I know you’re there, so you can step out of the shadows now,” called out the boy. The girl, frightened, stepped out as fast as she could with her head hanging low. She was embarrassed for getting caught.

“Who are you?” the boy questioned.

“Um, sorry for intruding, but I just heard a nice melody so I followed it… and it took me here,” the girl answered back in a quiet tone.

“Oh, thanks, I guess…but you still haven’t answered my question, who are you?” the boy questioned again with a smile creeping onto his beautiful face.

“Oh, sorry, I’m um, Eun Hye, Hwang Eun Hye,” the girl, Eun Hye answered back. “You?” she asked.

“Ah, that’s what I forgot to do, introduce myself, anyways, my name is Jo Jonghwan,” he answered.

What a wonderful name for a wonderful person.

“What brings you here in the middle of the night anyways,” Jonghwan asked, breaking her away from her thoughts.

“I couldn’t sleep.”

“Ah, same here.”

“…”

“Why don’t you make yourself comfortable, while I play you something, considering the fact you found my secret hideout,” Jonghwan said keeping a smile plastered onto his face.

Eun Hye did as told, and sat on the cold cement ground while Jonghwan played a song on his guitar. She was entranced by how much feelings can be poured with just notes, no lyrics, just wordless music. For the first time in a while she started to feel drowsy. Her eyelids started to drop on their own will, she didn’t want to close her eyes yet, but sweet tranquility wanted to overcome her body.

She felt at peace.

“You know, if you’re getting sleepy, just sleep, I won’t feel offended,” Jonghwan said as he let out a small chuckle. He was amused at the girl in front of him; she was the first person ever to ever hear him play his instrument, as well as being the first to find his hideout. She made him feel as ease, as weird as that sounds, considering the fact that they just met. He truly felt her appreciation for his music, she made him feel serene.

“No it’s fine, I want to keep listening to you play,” she answered back in a sleepy tone. She knew her body couldn’t take it anymore and it would shut down on its own accord and she would have to oblige.

He smiled and continued to play until she would fall asleep. Slowly he felt it, he felt the calmness take over his body, and he too started to get drowsy.

It was overwhelming.

“Will you be my 2am?” Eun Hye asked Jonghwan softly, trying to fight her drowsiness.

He turned over to look at her; before he got to answer her question he heard the sounds of her even, rhythmic breathing. She fell asleep. He just smiled, that was his answer. A tiny smile found its way up to her lovely face; it was as if she saw him smile. A smile in return, he presumed.

She fell asleep on him.

Her body was in so much fatigue it couldn’t take it anymore and it sent her into a deep slumber. He too finally let his eyelids droop and went into slumber.

They were each other’s 2am. They turned to each other in search for comfort. They counted on each other. No words were needed; the wordless music carried their emotions, and their feelings.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Finished with my first story ever, hopefully whoever read this will like it. I'm not really experienced in writing stories, so please bear with me, since it is my first time and all. I hope you guys enjoyed reading it. I was heavily inspired by one of my favorite quotes in Sarah Dessen's novel, What Happened to Goodbye. I hope I did the quote justice. 

“Two a.m.' He swallowed, then said, "You know. The person you can call at two a.m. and, no matter what, you can count on them. Even if they're asleep or it's cold or you need to be bailed out of jail...they'll come for you. It's like, the highest level of friendship.”

Again, sorry  for making it kind of short.