The Beginning Stage

The Beginning Stage

            Sehun: Sweat was dripping off my body. I looked like a shiny Korean doll. These dance practices were crazy intense, but I couldn't complain. Debuting was the single greatest moment of my life, and I had to keep improving my dances to please all the fans. I wiped the sweat on my forehead with my sweaty hand. Pointless. Kai threw me my water bottle while we both chugged down the cool fluid. Everyone had left but we decided to stay to keep practicing the dance to "Angel". Even though the song was slow, and the dance not hard, the amount of times we had to practice was a lot. I took one last gulp of refreshing water and put my water bottle down. Kai had done the same, so I pressed play on the boom box.

            After running it another three times, we decided to stop. It was already late, and the stars were mingling with the city lights of Seoul. Kai patted me on the back and I did aegyo to him. He chuckled and shook his head as he left. Usually he'd stay to clean up and turn the lights off, but since he had a photo shoot early in the morning, I decided to switch roles. I was always getting a break since I was the maknae, and while it was great and all, I still wanted to help out sometimes.

            I gulped down some more water and stretched out my muscles. Then I put the boom box away and put all my things into my bag. I took out my ipod and put in one earphone as I turned the lights off and clicked the door shut. "What is Love" immediately started playing and Baekhyun and D.O's powerful voices filled my ear. I started to walk towards the exit when I heard something. I thought it was something wrong with the ipod so I quickly took it out of my pocket and paused the music. No... different music was coming from somewhere else. Who was still here? It was already so late.

            I turned around and started walking back the way I came. I passed the practice room Kai-hyung and I were in, and kept walking in the direction of the music. It was someone's voice. As I got closer I realized it was a girl's voice. It was so beautiful, and it was coming from the stage. I stopped right outside the door and just listened. Her voice was like cold velvet, sliding over my body and giving me goose bumps. It was haunting. I felt her words seep into my skin, and I felt as if I were singing the song myself. I had never heard a singer sing the way she did. It was almost scary.

            I debated whether to go inside or not. I didn't want her to get startled and stop singing, but at the same time, I had to know who she was. A voice so captivating, it was hard to believe a person could posses it. I was the shy maknae, but I couldn't be right then. I had to take the risk. I had to go inside to see her. But please, don't let the singing stop.

            I took a deep breath and opened the door. Blue lights were lighting up the stage. Her voice was echoing in the air. Her black hair was wavy, reaching down half her back, her skin glowing in the blue light. She wore a cream colored dress that made her look stunning, and black heels. I could make out her basic features but I wanted to get a better look. So I dropped my bag, put my ipod on top, and started walking towards the stage. My heart stopped when she saw me, but thank God, she didn't stop singing. She just kept her eyes fixed on me while I slowly walked up the stairs to the stage. What was I doing?

            My heart was pounding, punching my ribcage. But she didn't stop watching me, and I didn't stop watching her. I came to her right and started to do what I did best. Dance. I could make out her features clearly now, her eyes so deep, perfectly forming the gorgeous words she was singing. I moved my arms and my legs with the grace of her words and I felt so different. Whenever I was with the other Exo members in dance rehearsal, it felt good to dance, but never this good. This was like a drug. I couldn't stop dancing if I wanted to. Her voice was completely controlling my body, and her face was starting to do something weird to my heart.

            I kept dancing through all of it. The angelic high notes, and the hypnotizing low notes. She could do it all. I could feel the sweat start again, but this time I didn't care. I didn't want to stop dancing. She was the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. Was I dreaming? There was no way any of this was real. It was too good for reality. But I brushed my doubts away and savored this as much as I could.

            Finally, she stopped. I stopped too. She stared at me and I couldn't help but stare back. Those eyes. There was something there. I forgot all about the shy maknae I was and started walking towards her. I expected her to back away, but she didn't. She held her place. I tried to think my heart into slowing down, because at the moment, it was the loudest thing I could hear. Could she hear it too? I hoped not. When I was only a few feet away from her, I stopped.

            "I'm Sehun." 

            Nara: I walked onto the stage. My heart was pounding in my ears. I heard a couple of boys practicing in one of the training rooms, but they'd probably leave soon anyway. He broke up with me months ago. He didn't deserve me. And he'll never get me again. I can do this. I calmed myself down. It was so quiet on the stage, and the blue lights were perfect. I hadn't sung on stage ever since he had broken up with me. I couldn't. I didn't have the strength to sing songs I was supposed to put my heart into, when my heart was bleeding in heartache. But I was better now. A lot better. Flashes of him still came to my mind, but very few. I was ready to sing again. I could do this. I would do this.

            I opened my mouth and sound immediately killed the silence. I felt a rush of emotions. Happiness, relief, excitement . I was a singer, and after so long, I was finally singing. The words came so easily from my mouth, it was as if I had never stopped. I walked all over the stage, singing, and singing. It felt as if I were drenched in rain after burning in the desert. He was gone. He was finally gone. And I was back.

            Then I saw the right side door open, near the seats. I didn't stop singing though, even as a figure emerged. A boy? His silhouette was tall, thin, and lean built. Definitely a boy. Maybe one of the ones who was practicing. He started to walk towards the stage. What was he doing? Then he climbed up the stairs and was on my right. The strangest thing was, I didn't feel nervous or scared. I was just curious. His hair was a lighter brown, illuminated by the blue lights on stage.

            He was watching me the same way I was watching him. I felt something then. I didn't know what, but my heart was definitely starting to beat a little faster. Then he started dancing. I almost stopped singing then because I was so surprised, but I didn't.. I kept singing and he kept dancing. His movements were so perfect. He had such control over his body, I couldn't stop watching him. He was agile and powerful. I didn't want him to stop dancing. And the fact that he was dancing to my singing, well, it made me so happy.

            Then I stopped singing. He was sweating, and I didn't want him to tire himself too much. I had a feeling he wouldn't stop dancing until I stopped giving him the music, so I had to. I looked at him, and he looked back. He was so handsome, even in his loose t-shirt and baggy pants. I could see why SM picked him. He started to walk towards me. Instead of feeling anxious, strangely I wanted him to come closer. So I didn't move. When he was only a few feet away, he spoke.

            "I'm Sehun."

            Sehun. "I'm Nara."

            And in that moment, I knew we wouldn't end up being just Sehun and Nara to each other. No way. We'd be much, much, more than that. I could feel it.